Wet Leg - Wet Leg (2022) (1 Viewer)

well they're hardly going to say: ''we worked long and hard in the studio to nail the breeders bass sound''?
Well there is no "breeders bass sound" for starters, and what I'm saying more generally is that playing spot the influence is a mugs game, especially when when the writing is so bad that it sees sex and gender as a sound.

new music gets compared to old music constantly - and often based on fairly tenuous connections, sometimes bands own their influences, sometimes they deny them.
Yeah yeah, and bad writing is a scourge and should be treated with the disdain and mockery that it deserves, just like bad music.

Well there is no "breeders bass sound" for starters, and what I'm saying more generally is that playing spot the influence is a mugs game, especially when when the writing is so bad that it sees sex and gender as a sound.

Yeah yeah, and bad writing is a scourge and should be treated with the disdain and mockery that it deserves, just like bad music.

ok lets distinguish:

''they sound like X''

does not equate to:

''they are ripping off/influenced by X''

and neither, in a musical world pretty bereft of fresh ideas or sounds is necessarily a diss

I'm tired and this is a bit of a formless outburst..but these were my thoughts while I was up a ladder painting windows while this album was playing. .naturally I could take no notes.

I ... like.. this album. I don't love it. I'm hoping that I might grow to, but I'm doubtful.
Its got some good tracks on it.. the singles mainly and one or two others. I think the fantastic videos might have played a large part in how I received those tunes. None of them are terrible but Im just not really getting them. I find the lyrics not very relatable or something. Maybe a bit trite tbh. But a bit clever at times also . I dunno,its a bit of a shtick.

I find the melodic content to be wanting also, frankly. There isnt one tune I could hum and I've played the record 6 or 7 times. Not that music needs to be catchy for me to appreciate it...but to really love a pop album.. well it matters. I remember Lily Allens album coming out and I knew it off by heart I played it so much. But sure that was twenty years ago or something. I chewed it up and spat it out, and thats the point. And this record.. it'll be getting spluttered out before its fully masticated.

On the subject of who Wet Leg sound like and all that.... I haven't a clue and don't care.. its a stupid game like Lili said. Notwithstanding actually blatantly copying someone verbatim and pretending you havent .. anything goes in music. Originality and authenticity (whatever that is) isn't essential for me. It just needs to be great. And this isn't. Its a 7.2 on pitchfork but I'd give it a 5.
Also,If its a 90s throwback .. well.. lets just say in the 90's I wasn't listening to the bands that influenced this...so I've no clue either way.

I like album club and hope to do better the next time

2 girls? I reckon they are a Shampoo rip off.

The videos for the singles are great. I have found nothing irritating, which is unusual for young people. Going to the order the CD.

it just occurred to me earlier on that the real precursor to wet leg was the chalets. I mean they’ve probably never even heard of them, but there are certainly some similarities, even if the chalets were more... zany.

or: wet leg is to the chalets as wire are to b-52s: discuss

it just occurred to me earlier on that the real precursor to wet leg was the chalets. I mean they’ve probably never even heard of them, but there are certainly some similarities, even if the chalets were more... zany.

or: wet leg is to the chalets as wire are to b-52s: discuss
I doubt wet fleg will ever have a song as good as this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Listened to this on repeat yesterday while I was doing a bit of writing on a grant for a few hours.

Chaise loung and piece of shit are the only ones that stick in mind afterwards.

But it’s… nice overall. Still stick to my ‘this sounds like 199x’ original impression. But not in a bad way.

Listening to this now finally. It sounds like an album that isn't looking for the kind of attention it is getting. If that makes any sense. It's ok. It could be Sleeper. I prefer The Bug Club or The Lovely Eggs if were looking for a new British band to get excited about.

Havent listened to anything past the singles on youtube. Surely its all going to be goodtime art pop music, like CSS or something. Bangers plus filler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back