DIY Guitar Messing About (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 49K
  • Watchers 4
am currently playing with finishes - not instrument related, but my neighbour asked me to strip and refinish a g-plan dining table top they have where the finish was badly damaged. it had been suggested to me to use water based acrylic as it's very hard wearing, but on a test piece of tropical hardwood i have it doesn't really bring out the rich colour nearly as much as danish oil or polyurethane.

am currently playing with finishes - not instrument related, but my neighbour asked me to strip and refinish a g-plan dining table top they have where the finish was badly damaged. it had been suggested to me to use water based acrylic as it's very hard wearing, but on a test piece of tropical hardwood i have it doesn't really bring out the rich colour nearly as much as danish oil or polyurethane.
I’ve found that too - it’s grand if it’s going over a stain - but it can be dead and plasticky looking on its own.

yeah, i went with a satin polyurethane in the end; have thinned it a little to make sure it goes on thin and consistent.
@pete can we change the name of the thread to ‘diy electro acoustic wiring finishing and wood shite taking thread’. I think myself and magicbastarder have brought it to a wider level of nerd

the cabinet maker i know, who i mentioned earlier, is currently doing an instrument making course in ballyfermot. he was saying it's tougher than he expected.

Final spiriting out. Lamp is there so I can see any dull patches. It’s a bit more open pore than I intended. Should’ve done another round of grain filling. Looks daycent though.

Attachments

• BECC3DAF-49C3-4DFC-822C-1D8F7D9122F2.jpeg
    BECC3DAF-49C3-4DFC-822C-1D8F7D9122F2.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 84215F8E-E367-42CC-8793-B65C79F893E0.jpeg
    84215F8E-E367-42CC-8793-B65C79F893E0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
Nearly all ‘modifications’ to hardware and body complete. Will be stitching it all together over next few days hopefully

Attachments

• C8037BBB-DF75-4CA1-A699-A8C4E8B309C6.jpeg
    C8037BBB-DF75-4CA1-A699-A8C4E8B309C6.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
nowt to do with guitar making, but i've been staring at a pile of oak floorboards a neighbour had ripped up and given me, for a couple of years, not knowing what to do with it. but i realised the other day that i could probably run them through a planer thicknesser, and laminate them to make a bench worktop for the shed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back