Unpopular Opinions (13 Viewers)

There's nothing, as such, wrong with miming on stage. It depends on whether you're doing a "gig" or a "performance" I guess.

I mean, Dragonforce perform to a backing track. Because to be fair to them, it'd ruin the illusion to the ticket buying public if they made a mistake playing live. And of course they would make mistakes if they played live, because y'know, it's really difficult to play Dragonforce songs.
They do play on stage apparently, but what you hear is playback.

I saw Nicki Minaj in the point once, and there was a pre-recorded version of the lead vocal that'd play whenever she wasn't singing/rapping and that'd be ducked whenever she was. I didn't mind, I was there to party (and party I did, I think it might actually have been the most fun night out I ever had in my life)

I always enjoy seeing how a band pulls off live what they have cooked up in the studio; I much prefer it to sound way different live than to just be a million plugins and pre recorded backing vocals on tape making it sound pristine.

Obviously, not every artist is a band though and their performance might be more about spectacle.

With the advent of poptimism as the default approach to music for the younger folk, I'd say preferring "live" vs pre-recorded is actually a relatively niche position these days.

i don't if/when i've been at a gig which was mimed. i reckon i'd probably feel cheated, they may as well stick a lookalike up on stage too if they're going to mime along?

I've talked before on here about seeing Janelle Monae a bunch of times circa her debut, the first time she had a small band, the second time it was expanded to include a full horn section, and the next time there was also a string section. It sounded precisely the same every time, which kinda wrecked it for me.

i'd say depending on the audience, there are acts which probably get flak for not playing what would be the studio versions too. janelle monae wouldn't strike me as an artist who would have that problem though.

i'd say depending on the audience, there are acts which probably get flak for not playing what would be the studio versions too. janelle monae wouldn't strike me as an artist who would have that problem though.
Yeah, can you imagine the Rolling Stones playing Satisfaction on a synth and getting away with it?

This is what Whigfield did a few years when I saw her. and alot of pop singers do that live with backing tracks; Just sing along to the original and only do the easiest harmony bit live
I saw Nicki Minaj in the point once, and there was a pre-recorded version of the lead vocal that'd play whenever she wasn't singing/rapping and that'd be ducked whenever she was. I didn't mind, I was there to party (and party I did, I think it might actually have been the most fun night out I ever had in my life)

I've talked before on here about seeing Janelle Monae a bunch of times circa her debut, the first time she had a small band, the second time it was expanded to include a full horn section, and the next time there was also a string section. It sounded precisely the same every time, which kinda wrecked it for me.
That Prince cover she did was good though

Hopefully not! We’ve been through it before but The Residents have done the definitive cover of Satisfaction. I said it and everyone backed me up. Everyone. Not one dissenter. And no one is going to contradict me right now. No one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back