Minor complaints thread (20 Viewers)

I hate having to choose between big kick drum and bass guitar in a mix.

Kick drum always wins these days

Would it help if you had a faster attack and slower release on the bass? It'd push the bass back behind the kick in the mix and stabalise it in place, sort out some of the masking issues but you'd still be able to keep a lot of the low frequency info in the bass.

Would it help if you had a faster attack and slower release on the bass? It'd push the bass back behind the kick in the mix and stabalise it in place, sort out some of the masking issues but you'd still be able to keep a lot of the low frequency info in the bass.
Its not masking I'm worrried about tbh. its making the windows rattle with clean -6 lufs.

Also..its a pretty quick 8 note bass line..a quick attack slow release throws the rhythm off

Ahh I'm happy enough with a bottomless bass ..put a bit of fuzz on it make it a feature.Sacrifices have to be made . Theres no volume normalisation on Bandcamp thank feck so I want my shit to be inhumanly loud
Side thought... I seem to be using a lot of syncopated synth bass these days because of this very reason

Last edited:
Its not masking I'm worrried about tbh. its making the windows rattle with clean -6 lufs.

Also..its a pretty quick 8 note bass line..a quick attack slow release throws the rhythm off

Ahh I'm happy enough with a bottomless bass ..put a bit of fuzz on it make it a feature.Sacrifices have to be made . Theres no volume normalisation on Bandcamp thank feck so I want my shit to be inhumanly loud
Side thought... I seem to be using a lot of syncopated synth bass these days because of this very reason

Gotcha, only so much room on your low end. Bit of saturation on the mids in the bass to help it cut through will probably help as you said.

I've started using a lot of musical value timings on my releases lately, i.e. if its 120 bpm I might set the release on all my drums to 250ms (a quaver) l and if I want my guitars more forward in the mix I might have them set to 125 (semi-quaver) or if there are pads of BGS I'll set them to 500. Really helps with positioning things in the mix and establishing the depth element of the space depends on how much movement I want on the part. I'm liking how things are going with that, so much so that I'm on the verge of being happy enough with a few tracks to send the first EP for my new project off for mastering soon I think.

I was gonna get my new album mastered but fuck it.. the sound in my shed here is SPOT ON. Everything translates perfectly so I'm just gonna do it myself . I'll leave a month or so after the last song is made and do it

Giddy Ap!

C'mere @GO are you sort of mixing as you record or are you just tracking everything and then figuring out what you want to do with it all when you're done?

Ideally I'd want to get sounds right on the way in but I'm too time poor to spend 30 minutes of the hour I might have to record getting a tonal balanace right.

Aww yeah,I'm mixing from the first note down. If something is in a space then I don't use that space again. Unless a better idea shows up

The way I work these days is set up a click track in my headphones,get my pitch and sing the song. Then I populate the music around that.

Then I just chip away until I only have whats absolutely necessary left . Sculpture style

I was gonna get my new album mastered but fuck it.. the sound in my shed here is SPOT ON. Everything translates perfectly so I'm just gonna do it myself

Giddy Ap!

Would like to have a go at mastering at some point but at this stage I think I'd benefit from the second pair of ears element, even more than the skills to do a master part of it.

The pandemic has basically been spent trying to get as good at mixing as possible, hopefully the 2 eps I want to get finished in the next few months will be a good enough calling card for me to take on nixer work mixing for other people. I don't write enough songs fast enough to make it worth the investment in time to just mix my own stuff.

Yeah thats cool.

I have no interest in working on anyone elses music . Lifes too short . Id rather paint gafs for money

Aww yeah,I'm mixing from the first note down. If something is in a space then I don't use that space again. Unless a better idea shows up

The way I work these days is set up a click track in my headphones,get my pitch and sing the song. Then I populate the music around that.

I think that's probably the way to go. In the past year I've started working in a way that if I record say a bass part I'll at least compress it into the right shape before I tack the next part so I'm nit being put off by a wonky sounding bass that disappears half the time or is too loud the other half.

The less processing the better . Some of the ridiculous things I've done to bass lines over the years.
But I didnt know any better.

I thought I did.. but I didnt. Minor verging on major complaint

I do some stuff now in a way that I just sorta mildy saturate (to my ear) the low end and do the detailing with a multiband at the mastering stage, consider the lows sorta as a place rather than a few personalities. totally different kinda music though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back