Spotify...its grand and all (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 442
  • Views 29K
  • Watchers 12
Thread from himself. Says Shellac routinely pull in 5 figures a year from it, and it's a nice bump for them. Interesting point how bands on proper indies with fairer splits do as well as huge major label acts, despite the massive stream difference

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I (genuinely) wonder what his figures look like in 2022

A lot of this would mean a hell of a lot less if we had a decent social safety net, and we do have a much better one than they have in the USA

What app/media server do you use for streaming from the NAS when you're away from the house?
I have an app called DSub on my phone that connects to a webserver on a Cloud VM I rent. That runs a reverse proxy down an encrypted VPN tunnel to my Raspberry Pi in the hallway that has an 2TB hard drive connected to it with the tunes on it. It runs a music server called Navidrome which shares the music to my phone and to a web browser. I have an old Netgear NAS that powers up once a week to backup the music files and most of the config data in case something fails so I can bring it back without too much pain. The cloud VM costs 5e a month. The URL was 28e for 3 years I think. After that it's the cost of the mp3's and electricity.

I (genuinely) wonder what his figures look like in 2022

A lot of this would mean a hell of a lot less if we had a decent social safety net, and we do have a much better one than they have in the USA
$30k over four or five years isn't exactly a lot to retire on.

I have an app called DSub on my phone that connects to a webserver on a Cloud VM I rent. That runs a reverse proxy down an encrypted VPN tunnel to my Raspberry Pi in the hallway that has an 2TB hard drive connected to it with the tunes on it. It runs a music server called Navidrome which shares the music to my phone and to a web browser. I have an old Netgear NAS that powers up once a week to backup the music files and most of the config data in case something fails so I can bring it back without too much pain. The cloud VM costs 5e a month. The URL was 28e for 3 years I think. After that it's the cost of the mp3's and electricity.
Bloody hell.

I have one of these DS218play | Synology Inc.

It's all app based. One for audio, one for video etc. The TV picks it up very easily. I do hesitate to recommend because I'm stuck with this thing being on 24/7 now and it is a bit clunky sounding when you are running files.

Thread from himself. Says Shellac routinely pull in 5 figures a year from it, and it's a nice bump for them. Interesting point how bands on proper indies with fairer splits do as well as huge major label acts, despite the massive stream difference

He's not wrong in that it's their label contracts that have them fucked from streaming revenues or lack thereof

Bloody hell.

I have one of these DS218play | Synology Inc.

It's all app based. One for audio, one for video etc. The TV picks it up very easily. I do hesitate to recommend because I'm stuck with this thing being on 24/7 now and it is a bit clunky sounding when you are running files.

Yea I have the same Synology. Using Emby as the media server/app as well as a Marantz network streamer but haven't quite configured it to run when I'm away from the house.

Pretty happy with the setup tbh and no intention of moving to a streaming platform- not so much out of any point of principle, more just a vague feeling that if I can access everything, then it all becomes kind of uniform and meaningless

If I can access everything, then it all becomes kind of uniform and meaningless

yeah there is some of this. I get it free as a work thing.

I kinda have to admit though, that suggestion algorythm does churn up some bangers

like this dramatic bolero sounding prog tune.

Anyone with Spotify should go listen to Belly right now
Ahahaha

Belly adjacent if you will, Kristin Hersh sent an email with some thoughts on it this week

From Kristin re: Spotify and taking sides
For what it’s worth, I have never administered or controlled any of “my” Spotify accounts, Throwing Muses, 50 Foot Wave or solo. I have tried to alter them, as I found some material not representative and some catalogue missing, as well as misinformation in bios, etc. Also, Spotify’s algorithmic recommended listening often puts us squarely in the damaging fashion/product/pop star category that I fought so hard to escape. I am not allowed access to any of these accounts, though, so I let that go.

And I have been intrigued by the possibility of removing the dollar sign from music for a long time, to see if we could create a more musically literate populace via the curiosity of exploring sound through genre and era: listeners moved by music, not marketing. 50 Foot Wave was a cooperative for this reason, maintaining a distance from the recording industry. An industry I never made money from, having been held personally accountable for Throwing Muses’ recording debt and having traded my first solo album for my freedom from a corporate label. So while it’s true that I’ve made nothing from Spotify, I’ve also made nothing from record sales. I play music because I love music and I work with people in all facets of this field who feel the same way. The reason a shy feminist musician like me is working at all is because I am listener-supported by Strange Angels, who keep me humble, grateful and recording.

Wouldn’t it be nice if the free music experiment worked and we could begin to shift the paradigm yet again. This time away from shallow and toward sustainability of actual songwriters and musicians, instead of the pop star facsimile. Toward great radio, record companies and journalism; great photographers, engineers and videographers; taking “music” out of the fashion industry and putting music back in the hands of people. Where it was always meant to be, where it always was.

I have never been safe and I have at times been very angry, but with all my heart, I believe that dehumanizing others is not the way. This is just to say that nuance is real, choice is personal and respectful discourse is necessary in every sphere, in every endeavor.

“We have to transcend the tendency to take sides"
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back