Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (4 Viewers)

I think i was asking a few weeks back somewhere in this thread about what the breaking point would be. because if this thing is around for a decade, it’s basically going to slowly drive us all insane. so... what happens then? are we just being softly set up to be the lost generations that wade through the shit for a decade or more?

Like there could be two considered breaking points - the point where either you see marriage referendum numbers having a demonstration, riot or whatever, or the already existing broken points ones where people started making their own exceptions - like people who'll have a five household sunday dinner like it or not, or the people going to the sheebeens, or the people who overran a bar in mayo last xmas, or the people who had lockins this christmas, or the folks at weekly house parties all year. The point where guidlines are even adhered was broken through months ago.

Is this what you have in mind as a breaking point?

But yeah, as I was saying to flashback - it has no conscience - it doesn't care where your breaking point is. you can't earn favour with it and thats kinda what most people are built from day 1 to expect, so it is really hard to wrap our western world heads around something like this. I could just get worse for the rest of our lives, why does it have to be a decade, it has no concept of time. That's just the humans trying to rationalise things. It doesn't give a fuck. All it wants is some nice fleshbag to live in. we might be a 'lost' generation, or however it could be described, it really wont care if we are. If it's gone in 3 months, we are going to probably work till we are close to 70 through ever increasing weather disasters, power shortages, oddball interruptions etc etc. It is genuinely hard to fathom but I am pretty sure, after several generations of ever improving lifestyles at the cost of the planet, it had to slow down or stop at some point, and I think we are going to live through that.

And look, there is nothing in life i've enjoyed more that going to gigs in tiny rooms to watch magic happen before my eyes among people who like that too, but the concept of a virus and a weather system deciding that it's my turn to do that because I've had a tough year or two, is a bit of a leap of faith.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

no guarantee anyone born in 2022 will to even get to 30.

as far I remember Logan's Run was shot in a shopping Mall that hadn't open yet.

I had an idea for a movie where a Utopian society run by women makes lads get castrated as adults.
most lads in the society are very anti macho/androgynous and accept this but a bunch of rough looking lads with beer bellies decide to go on the run Logan style, rather than have their bollocks painlessly zapped away. the Bollockses are hunted down and face the consequences.

schools should not be open if kids have to wear masks and leave windows open
Nah man. My eldest went into a serious downward spiral this time last year, didn't start to emerge until schools reopened. Even with the windows open the schools are probably less freezing and draughty than they were when we were there

We have ordered masks for the 3 year olds. See what they think. I'm expecting grief from someone if we go out and bout wearing them.

As a comparison. I'm working with jr infants. Some of them still cannot put on their coats by themselves. Some of them get carried to the gate,put on the ground and handed a schoolbag. Can't imagine the mess of them trying to put a mask back on after lunch.

The masks thing. Loads of other countries are doing it from 5 up and reporting zilch problems. Before the over 9 rule was brought in here, so many parents freaking out about awful it would be. Asked mine on day one, "how was it?". "Grand".

And the cases in schools started coming down here in the fortnight after it was introduced. It's not a problem.

Buy a couple of big bleedin' fan heaters or IR heaters to deal with the cold. Be grand, like.

the music teacher at the end is cool... wait for it. my favourite is the little girl kicking the bully teacher.

just watched a documentary about the black death in 1349. at least that was polite enough to be done and dusted in a few months.
You mean done and dusted in a few years. In Europe alone it lasted 6-7 years and ripped through populations again and again. Spanish Flu was about 5 years as far as I remember. AIDS was/is decades into its run. Diseases are hardy things, to expect this to be done and dusted at all in the 2020s is feeling like misplaced optimism.

And as for the young versus old having a worse time of it, anecdotally I’m hearing from colleagues in psychology that suicidal behaviours are shooting up in school-age kids. No one’s studied it as it seems to be actually unfolding right now. More news as I have it.

yeah, should have specified the documentary was specifically about it in london.
once it established in an area, did it generally burn out quickly in that area?

I think it moved in waves but it didn’t linger in a community like COVID does because once you got it, you died. It was highly contagious though so it would be reintroduced into an area very easily - just looked up the Black Death on Wikipedia and apparently the pandemic continued for centuries - the Black Death of 1348/49 was the same pandemic as the Great Plague of London of 1665/6 (that Daniel Defoe wrote about in Journal of a Plague Year).

no guarantee anyone born in 2022 will to even get to 30.

as far I remember Logan's Run was shot in a shopping Mall that hadn't open yet.

I had an idea for a movie where a Utopian society run by women makes lads get castrated as adults.
most lads in the society are very anti macho/androgynous and accept this but a bunch of rough looking lads with beer bellies decide to go on the run Logan style, rather than have their bollocks painlessly zapped away. the Bollockses are hunted down and face the consequences.
suggested title ''never mind yer bollixes, here's utopia''

yeah, should have specified the documentary was specifically about it in london.
once it established in an area, did it generally burn out quickly in that area?

I guess I'd also be careful about the accuracy of the reports from that era. For example, now, in Ireland, with extra ordinarily good infrastructure / health care / centralized records and so on, we are certainly undercounting the covid numbers. Plus if someone dies, is it attributed to covid, or a (even vaguely) related illness? I'd guess even something as dramatic as stroke, it's hard to tell what or when the initial upstream triggering event was.

Back then medical professionals were... I mean, a bit dubious. There were fuck all records to speak of when it came to unwashed masses, people were digging trenches and horsing entire families in there. There might have been shame associated with getting sick, there would have been fear, and so on.

I can remember reading stuff along the lines of random little flare-ups that would demolish entire villages, or families, that went for for years. The country itself was a bit in turmoil I'd guess, and when whole groups are vanished like that with only a few stragglers who'd probably want to leave that memory behind them, it's easy to have that lost to history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back