DIY Guitar Messing About (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 45K
  • Watchers 4
I have hardwood boards cluttering up the shed you'd be welcome to experiment on but they may be too dry at this point. They'd need to be resawn though, they're about 22mm thick IIRC. What surface dimensions would you need?
Yer talking to a man who regularly pulls lengths of wood out of skips, so I’d be tempted in general- I don’t have fantastic storage space though. What sort of sizes are we talking?

probably 10" wide, 22m deep and four foot long for one of the longer bits, i think. i could easily spare one.
it was from a pallet (among others) my father in law got in from a delivery from south america 20 or more years ago, and was sitting in his back garden. a quick skite of a plane and it still looks decent enough underneath.
i'm not too far from you, am quite close to DCU.
i also have quite a bit of old oak (presumably white oak) flooring which i've been staring at wondering what to do with.

Last edited:
probably 10" wide, 22m deep and four foot long for one of the longer bits, i think. i could easily spare one.
it was from a pallet (among others) my father in law got in from a delivery from south america 20 or more years ago, and was sitting in his back garden. a quick skite of a plane and it still looks decent enough underneath.
i'm not too far from you, am quite close to DCU.
i also have quite a bit of old oak (presumably white oak) flooring which i've been staring at wondering what to do with.
Cool - might come back to you in the new year!

Hovering over the purchase button on two bridges for my axe. One is a Gotoh bridge that I'm sure will fit the guitar the other is an American Fender Telecaster one that looks class.
There are reports of the string height screws on the Gotoh one being a bit long (annoying).
Not sure if the US Fender one will fit on a Squier, but then I've always liked how US bridges look.

Anyone had any experience with these things?

here are the links

Hovering over the purchase button on two bridges for my axe. One is a Gotoh bridge that I'm sure will fit the guitar the other is an American Fender Telecaster one that looks class.
There are reports of the string height screws on the Gotoh one being a bit long (annoying).
Not sure if the US Fender one will fit on a Squier, but then I've always liked how US bridges look.

Anyone had any experience with these things?

here are the links
Asking a stupid question- does your existing bridge have strat type saddles or barrels?

Other than that I’d go for the gotoh

I know squier Strat bridges have different spacing than us, not sure what the craic is for tele bridges.

It's an ashtray barrel situation.

Check that the string holes are in the same place - they tend to be behind the screws on a traditional ashtray, and in front of the screws in the type you’ve posted.

If being able to intonate properly is your key motive for changing, Wilkinson make a nice ashtray/barrel with compensated saddles, or you could simply buy the compensated saddles separately (as I did recently) - works well

Check that the string holes are in the same place - they tend to be behind the screws on a traditional ashtray, and in front of the screws in the type you’ve posted.

If being able to intonate properly is your key motive for changing, Wilkinson make a nice ashtray/barrel with compensated saddles, or you could simply buy the compensated saddles separately (as I did recently) - works well
Actually - the gotoh seems to have the holes in the right place (which might be why the intonation screws are longer), and is a 4 rather than 3 screw model. So more likely to be a drop in.

Yea I read a report from a guy who put a Gotoh one in the exact guitar I have and it worked well. Gotoh it is!

"or you could simply buy the compensated saddles separately (as I did recently) - works well".
True, I really don't like the ashtray though.

Already thinking about new pickups..... and painting the thing black.

Yea I read a report from a guy who put a Gotoh one in the exact guitar I have and it worked well. Gotoh it is!
"or you could simply buy the compensated saddles separately (as I did recently) - works well".
True, I really don't like the ashtray though.

Already thinking about new pickups..... and painting the thing black.
Check out this guy (when he’s back from vacation) makes some interesting tele pickup sets for reasonable dollars. Bought an amazing overwound bridge from him over the Q pickups

JohnnyRaz - if you're passing by in the car at all, you're welcome to one of these boards. here's one, you can see it's weathered from having sat outside for a decade or two, but as you can see in the middle, a quite light skite with a hand plane and it comes up fine.

PXL_20220110_205946650.jpg

JohnnyRaz - if you're passing by in the car at all, you're welcome to one of these boards. here's one, you can see it's weathered from having sat outside for a decade or two, but as you can see in the middle, a quite light skite with a hand plane and it comes up fine.

View attachment 15388
Thanks man - will bear it in mind!

Finding the whole idea of changing the pick ups and "tone chasing" to be unnecessarily stressful.
Sometimes I think I should just buy an Ibenez Riff Machine!

While I applaud anyone who does,I'd rather try to get what I have to sound great as is. There are so many great sounding guitar/amp/pedal combinations that sound great I'd rather not start messing with parts.

The main reason I want to put a single coil back on my strat is for variety. I have enough guitars with himbuckers. Otherwise I'd just leave it.

( Also,yes,lazy bastard)

Yeah fuck those guys.

Not really. I notice with me, i get a buzz off new techniques or gangs of weird chords or styles. I guess it's the exact same thing witht he tonehunters and the tweakers.

Yeah fuck those guys.

Not really. I notice with me, i get a buzz off new techniques or gangs of weird chords or styles. I guess it's the exact same thing witht he tonehunters and the tweakers.

I think tweaking is a little different than the purist tone hunters (for me anyway), its more -'I don't like how that sounds, perhaps I'll swap it' or 'I wonder what will happen if I do X', as opposed to 'I want my guitar to sound like Jimmy Page farting into an east wind onstage during the solo to black dog in 1973'

Finding the whole idea of changing the pick ups and "tone chasing" to be unnecessarily stressful.
Sometimes I think I should just buy an Ibenez Riff Machine!
I treat it thus... there is only two types of pickups ... objectively shitty ones that come on otherwise great cheap guitars.. and good sounding ones that you need to replace them with.

And my good sounding choice of pickup is Vansons! They all sound fantastic

Side note ..the pickups in my Pacifica are absolutely brilliant. Suchhh a good sounding guitar ..it makes me wonder how good the top class ones with the Seymour Duncans sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back