The Cosmic Right (1 Viewer)

Jack is short for John - another odd one. A former colleague has two sons called Sean and Jack. I said "Oh that's the same name," and he got real mad because "Everybody says that and they're clearly different names." I agreed of course but also thought "He's mad because deep down he knows it's true and is mad at himself." heh heh

the jack/john thing has an interesting twist in irish families, where all eldest sons would have been called John formally, but would have alternated Jack and John in familiar use. ie Grandad = John, Father = Jack, Grandson = John

That's always been my assumption. In at least one Shakespeare play it was referred to the jakes, so I take it that Jake is another alternative, which would make sense - Jacques, Jacov, Jacob etc - and "the John" is meant to be a funny take on that.

Lads I've been humming a little tune about jfk jnr all day... will I get cancelled if I released it

Do people still call their kids John or Mary? I never notice it any more. I have two uncle johns and two aunt Marys and lots of cousins also called John and Mary. I myself am a John but known generally by one of its variants.

Do people still call their kids John or Mary? I never notice it any more. I have two uncle johns and two aunt Marys and lots of cousins also called John and Mary. I myself am a John but known generally by one of its variants.
I have a 4 year old nephew called John, so yeah it still happens

In the Marian year in the 50s lots of boys ended up with Mary as a second name - two of my uncles - Michael Mary and dinny Mary

Lad from Compulsion (Jackknife Lee's of band) was called Josephmary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back