Planxty - Planxty (1973) (2 Viewers)

I might have mentioned it before, maybe in this thread, but the only time I saw Christy Moore live was at a funeral. My second cousin had cystic fibrosis and was a huge fan, Christy would check in on him and played his favourite songs at the funeral. He’s got more integrity to him than 99.9999% of the music industry.
I tried to like this, but fat thumbs landed on the clown face…
Not a fan of all of christys output - but he’s genuine integrity for sure

I might have mentioned it before, maybe in this thread, but the only time I saw Christy Moore live was at a funeral. My second cousin had cystic fibrosis and was a huge fan, Christy would check in on him and played his favourite songs at the funeral. He’s got more integrity to him than 99.9999% of the music industry.
thats amazing, and I have no difficulty believing it at all. I met Christy once when I was 18 or 19 and he couldn't have been any more of a gent. He always struck me as someone who fame didn't sit well with.

But whatever about the merits of Christy's talents, or not (I happen to think he's amazing), his re-invention circa 1991-92, was a stroke of genius, attributable to his manager, Matty someone. Coming from relative obscurity to bringing out Smoke and Strong Whiskey, to the machine that Live at the Point became, it was only really then that he properly became a household name.

He used to live near the village where my mother is from in Kilkenny. That was back in his roaring alco days. He had a banger of a van and he'd be driving from gig to gig, and from benefit to benefit. He said it himself - he used to do everything that was asked of him. He'd play for any cause at all, until it got to a point where people were taking advantage of him and a particular benefit he was supposed to play got cancelled - only no one told him, and he turned up to a locked up ballroom somewhere in the midlands.

I don't think he'll be fully appreciated until he's gone.

sure we'd have named an award after him though, for the service he'd have done for the state.
or a bridge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back