Hopeworld Thread (2 Viewers)

yeah - they are going to burn them instead of shipping them to landfill in china!
Yeah. I can't shake the feeling that we're being had and all of this is just a waste of time and resources. The only thing that will ultimately help is to stop manufacturing this plastic waste.

But the thread title says "Hope...", so I'll cling on to that for a little while

tbf, if they're going to burn something to make cement, they may as well burn bags instead of a fossil fuel.

that said, cement is a *massive* issue for GHG emissions.

i'm not sure that's a good news story either. fires have returned because goats ate everything before that. they should look at planting deciduous woodland on howth head, rather than browsing it bare, to prevent fires.

tbf, if they're going to burn something to make cement, they may as well burn bags instead of a fossil fuel.

that said, cement is a *massive* issue for GHG emissions.
So you're telling me that it'll end up in the incinerator anyway. So why is it now going in a different bin?? Surely that is just more work for the unfortunate people working in the recycling centres?

i'm not sure that's a good news story either. fires have returned because goats ate everything before that. they should look at planting deciduous woodland on howth head, rather than browsing it bare, to prevent fires.
Californian towns have apparently had very good success with using goats to graze 'firebreaks' for them. I was talking to one of the Howth firefighters during the Summer one evening as they were coming back from it, and he was saying that the biggest problem they have up there is just trying to get access anywhere, cause it's all just overgrown as fuck.

Off to save the world

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Californian towns have apparently had very good success with using goats to graze 'firebreaks' for them. I was talking to one of the Howth firefighters during the Summer one evening as they were coming back from it, and he was saying that the biggest problem they have up there is just trying to get access anywhere, cause it's all just overgrown as fuck.
Counterpoint: California is not the example you want to follow when it comes to stopping fires, no matter how many goats they've been throwing at them.

No the problem is definitely the fire and not the overgrowth.

they're looking at fungus to clean up several different sorts of pollution now. there's a fungus which has been discovered/cultivated which can convert cigarette butts (i.e. the nasty plastic shit in the filter) into edible mushrooms.

there's probably a good sci-fi idea there (which someone has already exploited) about a future where GM fungus is out of control, eating all sorts of concrete and plastic, collapsing buildings and just being a buzzkill..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back