2021 albums worth a listen.... (1 Viewer)

I'll have this.. as long as they don't get toooo free...know what I'm saying

I can go pretty free, baby... you ever listened to Art Ensemble of Chicago?... pretty out there.

Here's another pleasant[er] jazz one. I only know Joe McPhee from the credits.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It starts very kick-backed anyway.

Absolutely living for this album to come out

recently released on the amazing clay pipe music

perfect tunes for this time of year

An EP, not an album but still. It’s a one man surf rock band from up north and it sounds deadly.

Full-on droney all-acoustic.

Lucy Railton - Cello
Kit Downes - Organ

Take note - playing in a quartet at the Cork Jazz festival on Sunday 24th of October... any Dublin dates, does anyone know?

Think I'd enjoy this more live.

Full-on droney all-acoustic.

Lucy Railton - Cello
Kit Downes - Organ

Take note - playing in a quartet at the Cork Jazz festival on Sunday 24th of October... any Dublin dates, does anyone know?

Think I'd enjoy this more live.

saw a sound installation that lucy railton did a couple of weeks back in a former underground water reservoir, was pretty cool

am really into this. plenty of drones and strings and ominous moods. play loud while looking at a melting glacier

YES, two new albums with Joseph Hammer on them

am really into this. plenty of drones and strings and ominous moods. play loud while looking at a melting glacier

Drone... Go early in this thread... Bryan Westbrook...oof.

Or will I post it again?

What a little dancer. Never knew Elton though. No.

Speaking of drone... Put me on a plane to Portugal now...

Cigo run is beckoning vs DePalma marathon that weekend.

people whose tastes I would trust are super-into this album, and I don’t get it... some nice moments but overall a bit meh

tell me what I’m missing, peeps

You like Frank Ocean @taubstumm? This is coming from that area of R'n'Vibes, roughly speaking.

yep, it’s that sort of thing for sure. and I do like some of it! but a few people were singing its praises as an experimental masterpiece, so I think I went in ready for some ornette coleman, george e. lewis, pauline oliveros level of weirdness

yep, it’s that sort of thing for sure. and I do like some of it! but a few people were singing its praises as an experimental masterpiece, so I think I went in ready for some ornette coleman, george e. lewis, pauline oliveros level of weirdness
It's somewhere in that Hiatus Kaiyote or Solange area to me, spacey sounds and big jazz chords and complex rhythms, without ever going full jazz like, say, Esperanza Spalding.

I try and be really careful around this kind of thing because it's that whole "black excellence" area, which is an internet hornet-nest you don't want to nudge with whiteboy criticism, but I have to admit it doesn't do much for me. I mean, I like a good tune or a dirge or something that evokes the miserable sound of dirty wet pavement in a city, this transcendent stuff is a bit beyond me most of the time.

still yearning for sheer futurity in a capitalist realist hauntological blasted hellscape of eternal retro, etc
let me know if you find it!

people whose tastes I would trust are super-into this album, and I don’t get it... some nice moments but overall a bit meh

tell me what I’m missing, peeps

Yeah, listened twice last night... my favourite bits are those 20 second interstitial moments... not proper tracks but nicely offset the polished feel of the rest of it.

This is clearly the only winner on the album, am I right?

The rest of it is fine* but just passes right through me and it's like as if I may not have bothered listening to it in the first place. It's exactly the sort of thing you'd expect from that label Mexican Summer.

* I like the pensive thicket of sound and slick vocals that open Find It. I'm not sure about where the track ends up though.

Similarly underwhelming but offering some tantalising moments here and there. Ex Raime/Blackest Ever Black blokes with the drummer from Tomaga. [Deadly sleeve].

it feels intentionally reductive in a pre-Mogwai post-rock sort of way...the whole drummer playing along to a mostly electronic/sampling thing brings to mind Legion of Two also. I'm not sure the samples work that well with the music. I like the guitar tone, I understand they're going for a minimal type of thing - that inchoate post-rock vibe were the seed is more fruitful than what it might potentially bloom, eh - but you want the guitar to do more.

Last edited:
Yeah, listened twice last night... my favourite bits are those 20 second interstitial moments... not proper tracks but nicely offset the polished feel of the rest of it.

This is clearly the only winner on the album, am I right?

The rest of it is fine* but just passes right through me and it's like as if I may not have bothered listening to it in the first place. It's exactly the sort of thing you'd expect from that label Mexican Summer.

* I like the pensive thicket of sound and slick vocals that open Find It. I'm not sure about where the track ends up though.

Similarly underwhelming but offering some tantalising moments here and there. Ex Raime/Blackest Ever Black blokes with the drummer from Tomaga. [Deadly sleeve].

it feels intentionally reductive in a pre-Mogwai post-rock sort of way...the whole drummer playing along to a mostly electronic/sampling thing brings to mind Legion of Two also. I'm not sure the samples work that well with the music. I like the guitar tone, I understand they're going for a minimal type of thing - that inchoate post-rock vibe were the seed is more fruitful than what it might potentially bloom, eh - but you want the guitar to do more.

ha! had a similar reaction to that moin album too. one big meh.

This is turning into the 2021 albums that you probably shouldn't bother to listen to thread.

Yep, Moin was bigged up by the Wire scribe who reviewed it, and after two plus listens, I think I'm done.

Any more underwhelming listens out there? The new Low one bored the pants off me to be brutally honest [Ain't really been following them since the Zak Sally days, but very much a diminishing law of returns band for me as regards sitting through whole albums of theirs... a nice two disc compendium would serve them well].

Absolutely living for this album to come out

The new Haiduk album Diabolica [metal]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back