DIY Guitar Messing About (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 45K
  • Watchers 4
really? I got a bottle of pre-mixed french polish a few months ago. was toying with getting the flakes and making from scratch, but as I was dicking about as an experiment didn't want to invest too much.

I know its gotten really popular as a sanding sealer and such. and being a natural product is harvest to harvest dependent.

it has a lovely feel to it, I'd love to finish a neck with it

refinished a neck with shellac/french polish over the past few days.

really easy to work with compared to oil or varnish based stuff. dries super quick and sands back/recoats smoothly if you fuck up.

neck feels sexy - no idea how it will hold up to abuse.

I restored a Victorian bannister last week..I was gonna take my time and make a wipe on poly mix for it but I was getting a pain in me hole in that house so I just lashed two coats of varnish on it and it turned out amazing. I think a properly varnished guitar would be class

I restored a Victorian bannister last week..I was gonna take my time and make a wipe on poly mix for it but I was getting a pain in me hole in that house so I just lashed two coats of varnish on it and it turned out amazing. I think a properly varnished guitar would be class
used a water based floor varnish on two necks - wiped it on with small pieces of cloth.
sanded back well, and got a nice feeling finish. was a bit sterile looking - the varnish just coated, didn't add any character.

If you used yacht varnish you coulda brought the guitar to sea

I'm considering buying a router and making the guitar body myself and just buying a neck and hardware. I'm not sure where to get suitable wood for it though. I had a pile of 4x2s pullled out of bedsit partition wall that seemed super dry.. But its been out in rain for a month now ..so probably fucked.. I think useing reclaimed timber ..like from an old bedsit could give the guitar some mojo..possibly even be haunted . Someones bound to have died by a stabbing or overdose in a bedsit .

You wouldnt want it so haunted that it won't stay in tune though

I'm considering buying a router and making the guitar body myself and just buying a neck and hardware. I'm not sure where to get suitable wood for it though. I had a pile of 4x2s pullled out of bedsit partition wall that seemed super dry.. But its been out in rain for a month now ..so probably fucked.. I think useing reclaimed timber ..like from an old bedsit could give the guitar some mojo..possibly even be haunted . Someones bound to have died by a stabbing or overdose in a bedsit .

You wouldnt want it so haunted that it won't stay in tune though

I'd love to do this...

you can buy body blanks - though they aint cheap.

you could also get a piece of the composite board they use for worktops if you new a fitter or company

Amazon product ASIN B086RR82SK
or you could just glue together a rake of 4x2 ghost boards

A joiner friend of mine in Chicago (played a few shows in Ireland years ago as Nad Navillus) has started producing his own guitars. No left handed ones, cry

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A joiner friend of mine in Chicago (played a few shows in Ireland years ago as Nad Navillus) has started producing his own guitars. No left handed ones, cry

I would fucking love to have the skills, gear, and talent to do something like this.

My mam's dad and two of her brothers are/were all joiners - stupid middle class aspirations sending me to college

Dude made a guitar out of OSB!

you could totally make one out of this..

70 quid though!

I was thinking you could make a Bo Diddly square guitar out of a bit of scaffolding plank.

My ideas are taking shape though..I'm basically thinking of a DIY Strat/ Steinberg. Something lightweight for as I get older. And that would basically be a bit of 4x2.

Gonna order a neck tonight

70 quid though!

I was thinking you could make a Bo Diddly square guitar out of a bit of scaffolding plank.

My ideas are taking shape though..I'm basically thinking of a DIY Strat/ Steinberg. Something lightweight for as I get older. And that would basically be a bit of 4x2.

Gonna order a neck tonight

lots of cheaper/2nd ones to be had on adverts.

like your plankcaster idea... with a hardtail bridge you'd be grand

I think mounting a two post tremolo will be handy. I love a bit of tremolo.

If my calculations are right.. a bit of 4x2 is wide enough to accommodate single coils

I'm gonna hang the tremolo off the back like in this one

I think mounting a two post tremolo will be handy. I love a bit of tremolo.

If my calculations are right.. a bit of 4x2 is wide enough to accommodate single coils

I'm gonna hang the tremolo off the back like in this one

interesting. you've got me thinking plankcaster myself now. I've a 2foot lenght of scaffolding board in the shed I think, and a bridge p90 to hand. just need to get a cheap 2nd hand neck somewhere.

Thumped plankcaster challenge?

Here's that strat neck.

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_113132.jpg
    IMG_20210930_113132.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210930_113128.jpg
    IMG_20210930_113128.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back