What you been listening to this week? (1 Viewer)

Also listening to this newly released very early Sly Stone compilation

Viscaynes_1200_1200.jpg

https://acerecords.co.uk/yellow-moon-the-complete-recordings-1961-1962-mp3

It is absolutely not good but it's very interesting if you're into Sly. Like listening to a different planet.

Kraftwerk - Electric Cafe LP (underrated for sure)
The Fall - Wonderful and Frightening World of... LP
Can - Lost Tapes boxset
Spacemen 3 - Transparent Radiation 12”

Recently...

Boat Of - KSV 452 / ACR X002 Cup of Indignation
"A wide-ranging stochastic compilation of the music of Boat Of, a group founded in late 1979 in Athens, Georgia by... " Yeah, a bit too all over the place to describe but I enjoyed it.

Mnemonists - Gyromancy
Murky, intriguing sound-scapey stuff

Various Artists - Baku: Symphony Of Sirens (Sound Experiments In The Russian Avant Garde)
Interesting compilation but there is a lot of spoken word in Russian which I do not understand.

Roland Kayn - Tektra
As far as I've heard it all of his stuff is basically the same but it's great - dense, eerie machine soundscapes

Gruppo Di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza - The Feed-Back
Far out grooves

Laila Sakini - Vivienne
Fairly boring piano loop stuff with doodley bits over the top

Merzbow - Yantra Material Action
I downloaded a 60cd boxset a few months ago just because and dip in now and again picking random discs. Some of it is good, some forgettable. This disc is a mix of both.

Slapp Happy - Acnalbasac Noom
Catchy old-school drums/bass/guitar/piano/vocals pop music

Anthony Braxton - Dortmund (Quartet) 1976
Jazz, wouldn't be a favorite. I've tried a few of this guy's albums over the years and so far I haven't liked any of them.

Alan Stivell - Renaissance de la Harpe Celtique
Beautiful, I love this

Robin Williamson - Myrrh
I don't know if he's singing about Scientology or not (it's 1972 so he probably is) but there are some great songs on this.

Josephine Foster - Godmother
New album. The big news here is synths, but it's still pretty much business as usual

Sinead O'Connor - The Lion & The Cobra
Sometimes I like this, sometimes I don't.

Beatles - Roof Top concert remastered/remixed/etc
The biggest band in the world do a surprise live concert in central London and spend a lot of it faffing around trying to get it together. And it's still great. I can't help dreaming about an alternative rooftop concert where they played 9 different songs instead of three takes of Get Back and two each of Down Let Me Down and I've Got A Feeling. I don't want to listen to them multiple times in less than 40 minutes. I think my favourite is One After 909.

Rrill Bell - False Flag Rapture
Decent enough experimental stuff

Junior Brother - Fuck Off I Love You
Ridiculously good, one of the best things ever.

Kemetrix - Here And Now
Discogs says Genre: Electronic, Style: Electro, Techno, Experimental. Don't think I need this.

Luce Celestial - Discepolato Nella Nuova Era
Synthy bubbles & squeaks, I forget already

Charlie Haden, Jan Garbarek, and Egberto Gismonti - Magico
First listen to this one, fairly chill

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - First Flight to Tokyo: The Lost 1961 Recordings
Another first listen. I love the jazz messengers from around this time but I wasn't paying all that much attention this. Sounded good....

Biota - Fragments for Balance
Boring instrumental stuff. I listened to this before but I forgot about it

Mirthrandir - For You The Old Women
Rockin widdly prog, it's good, I like it

The George Shearing Quartet - Out Of The Woods
I love this, all composed by Gary Burton

Jan Garbarek Group - Photo With Blue Sky, White Cloud, Wires, Windows And A Red R
In one ear, out the other

Stan Getz - Focus
Strings & sax, good

@chris d

I finally got a copy of the third Sleeper album. Better than I expected, albeit very 1997. You can see the route they were going down though with those strings, attempts at "classic" songwriting, and some half-baked beats, a 1998 album would have been woeful. Like, Embrace or Starsailor levels of woeful. Symposium - Bury You woeful. 3 Colours Red having a hit with a ballad levels of 1998.

Last edited:
Snuff-potatoes and melons lp
Pink Fairies-neverneverland lp
Pink Fairies-previously unreleased lp
Verbal Assault-trial lp
Agent Orange-living in darkness lp

Screaming Trees - Anthology 2xLP
Circle - Rautatie LP
The Clean - Unknown Country LP
One Last Wish - 1986 LP
Psychic Paramount- II LP

I'm listening to Rip it Up by Orange Juice.

At some point I had been told that, title track to this one aside, they went to absolute shit after their debut and so I had never listened beyond it.

This album is just a really good album? Never trust people and their awful opinions.

At some point I had been told that, title track to this one aside, they went to absolute shit after their debut and so I had never listened beyond it.

This album is just a really good album? Never trust people and their awful opinions.
only orange juice I know well is that CD from around 2005 that brings together a mix of their stuff. It's brilliant havent listened to it in years actually. Do have one of their later LPs that was pretty poor. maybe worth a spin later. definitely been 15 years since I played that.

in other news, the new Cate Le Bon is so good. Absolutely love it.

only orange juice I know well is that CD from around 2005 that brings together a mix of their stuff. It's brilliant havent listened to it in years actually. Do have one of their later LPs that was pretty poor. maybe worth a spin later. definitely been 15 years since I played that.
The Glasgow School? I think that's where I first came across them, it only has their very early stuff though.

in other news, the new Cate Le Bon is so good. Absolutely love it.

Oh yeah the new Cate Le Bon, gave it a listen there over the weekend. Nice vibes, reminds me of that ABRA album, Rose, from a few years back. I feel like it's lacking very strong melodies and hooks but gets by well enough on the cool synth-y vibe, similar to the ABRA album in that way. Maybe it has very good lyrics? I'm not fully feeling it the way some people seem to, I see Pitch4k gave it a particularly strong review there today.

@rettucs you like Cate Le Bon, what do you think of it?

Yeah that’s not true at all.

Anyway, I’m listening to Bells>, which was/is an instrumental band by the later drummer of Jawbox, and J Robbins plays some nifty bass on the album. It’s not all good, but worth a listen for sure - some very uplifting moments on it.

Last edited:
The Glasgow School? I think that's where I first came across them, it only has their very early stuff though.

Oh yeah the new Cate Le Bon, gave it a listen there over the weekend. Nice vibes, reminds me of that ABRA album, Rose, from a few years back. I feel like it's lacking very strong melodies and hooks but gets by well enough on the cool synth-y vibe, similar to the ABRA album in that way. Maybe it has very good lyrics? I'm not fully feeling it the way some people seem to, I see Pitch4k gave it a particularly strong review there today.

never heard of Abra, listened to most of that album earlier. can't say I'd draw too much of a comparison with it myself on that brief listen at least, to be honest. good lyrics on the new Cate Le Bon? couldn't tell ya. very bad for focusing on what people are actually singing about. Like it more after a few weekend listens. the songs that I initially thought were a bit dull are also brilliant. Lot of stuff subtly going on in the background. this one was released a month ago but cannot get enough of it

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I liked her first album and lost touch a bit after that (I own 1.5 copies of it on vinyls). I made it halfway through one listen of the new one and got distracted. But everyone is saying its great, so I plan on getting back to it.

never heard of Abra, listened to most of that album earlier. can't say I'd draw too much of a comparison with it myself on that brief listen at least, to be honest. good lyrics on the new Cate Le Bon? couldn't tell ya. very bad for focusing on what people are actually singing about. Like it more after a few weekend listens. the songs that I initially thought were a bit dull are also brilliant. Lot of stuff subtly going on in the background. this one was released a month ago but cannot get enough of it
Ah I didn't mean it in a "ABRA did it first!" way, just that both of them are taking inspirations from similar strains of early to mid 80s production and doing their own thing with it, and neither of them are big, hooky pop songwriters.

I've read some hype around the Cate Le Bon saying she's taking cues from "Japanese City pop" which is a very right-now trend, but Japanese City pop was taking inspiration from the 80s West as well so it all kinds of blends together at the end of the day, may as well say you're taking cues from the Sylvian's Japan.

ANYWAY, I'll give it a few more listens so, see if it sinks in.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thats great I love it

It's pronounced ABBA.

Young Americans. Was mad when I found out that this came out before Station to Station and the whole Berlin vibe. Had assumed it was an 80s record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back