BREXIT (3 Viewers)

not directly brexit-related, but just a passing thought about the madness of the UK. boris has just announced, as part of his reshuffle, that Anne-Marie Trevelyan is their new trade minister. from the same family (by marriage) as the infamous charles trevelyan, he of the corn. 175 years on and no changes. british elites just magically self-perpetuate, it’s really quite amazing how they pull it off

Mate, imagine living here. And I live in Metropolitan London. There's loads of clever people of all classes races or political opinions or whatever here, there really is.

But the stupid majority, it's astounding.

Don't most aldi & lidls look like that after 7 anyway?
xactly. Tesco or any of them really.
It's quite easy for someone to take a photo and put it out of context. But I haven't really noticed a problem with shortages in my day-to-day. I worked in the supermarkets years ago, I think I still understand how they work.

What I've noticed about Brexit is that I've not met a non-British truck driver in the last three weeks. I've probably met 20 drivers in that time. Apparently the UK is 20,000 HGV drivers short. But again, Amazon et al are paying drivers more.
Also, I have not been on a job that was fully staffed for weeks. We are always a couple of people short now, that never happened. That used to be a 'lose the client' situation.
And the majority of new guys are Brits, whereas they would have been Romanian or Italian. I'm in a good position to ask for a pay raise.
Also, someone I know was quoted 4k for a bunch of steel a year ago. When he eventually ordered it, it cost 7k. But maybe the steel price has gone up because the gas price has gone up.

V. waffly post. But Brexit is one amongst a bunch of other things going on. It's a complicated thing.

Yeah, I read that.

I've been a bin man too. Back in the day all the drivers were like that hero. I don't mean that sarcastically, that guy sounds great, but it wasn't fun running after them all day. But it was about getting it done asap so they could get the pub or bookies before the horseracing ended.

Again, in my experience, the bins have been collected as per normal around here.
But I did walk past the Amazon depot and saw a convoy of about 40 new Prime-logo'd Sprinters drive by. I was told they were all getting paid something like £35/hour. Dunno if I believe that number. But the power of Amazon is a factor, it's not all to do with Brexit.

Yeah, I read that.

I've been a bin man too. Back in the day all the drivers were like that hero. I don't mean that sarcastically, that guy sounds great, but it wasn't fun running after them all day. But it was about getting it done asap so they could get the pub or bookies before the horseracing ended.

Again, in my experience, the bins have been collected as per normal around here.
But I did walk past the Amazon depot and saw a convoy of about 40 new Prime-logo'd Sprinters drive by. I was told they were all getting paid something like £35/hour. Dunno if I believe that number. But the power of Amazon is a factor, it's not all to do with Brexit.
those vans are all over Dublin now too. I work closely with Amazon and quizzed one of the lads about it. He said there have been fleets of vans going around Dublin for a good while now, but they were unbranded. They were waiting for this all-electric fleet to arrive before they put the name on them.

those vans are all over Dublin now too. I work closely with Amazon and quizzed one of the lads about it. He said there have been fleets of vans going around Dublin for a good while now, but they were unbranded. They were waiting for this all-electric fleet to arrive before they put the name on them.
I had assumed they were all "independent contractors" over here

Also, someone I know was quoted 4k for a bunch of steel a year ago. When he eventually ordered it, it cost 7k. But maybe the steel price has gone up because the gas price has gone up.
It's not just that, it's a supply issue. My uncle works in construction and he was telling me that you can't get steel for love nor money for weeks at a time. He bought a load of steel that he didn't need at a price higher than he would have normally paid because the alternative was someone else buying it and him having none.

It's not just that, it's a supply issue. My uncle works in construction and he was telling me that you can't get steel for love nor money for weeks at a time. He bought a load of steel that he didn't need at a price higher than he would have normally paid because the alternative was someone else buying it and him having none.

The product we sell is fabricated with a very high percentage of stainless steel, they're finding it very hard to supply us, and everyone else around the world with parts at the moment. I've had an order in for something for a month which won't be shipped until October 22nd, and then it'll take 4-6 weeks for it to arrive on a boat. On top of that they're sticking 6.4% on to us from the start of November.

I was talking to the guy we buy our hydraulic hose from a couple of weeks ago. He told me that he used to put in an order with his supplier once a month to make sure that he was covered for what he needed for the following 2 months but currently has order in to his supplier to make sure that he's stocked up into February.

I can see construction, if not grinding to a halt in the coming months certainly slow down due to material supply. It'll be good for businesses in the industry that do have stock because they'll be hiking up their costs to customers ("do you want us to turn up and do it or not") but it won't be good for labourers and tradesmen if sites can't open because it'll drive wages down due to oversupply of people ("do you want to work or do you want to sign on")

tried to order an amp from thomann a couple of weeks ago and they eventually refunded me and basically said the amp just doesn’t exist anymore. there’s a warehouse somewhere in china with a million of them, but they won’t be available to consumers for months and months, so thomann just dropped it from their line-up.

nothing to do with brexit, but this sort of generalised shortage situation can’t be helping things over there

there's an architect i follow on twitter who was saying there were loads of stories about builders, when approached for a quote or a tender, would reply, 'yeah, we can provide one in the second week of december and it'll be valid for a week'.

did we mention fizzy-drinks-gate yet?

the outline of it seems to be that the two plants that make most of the commercial carbon dioxide in britain were days away from closing down. the government swooped in and basically bribed the companies that own them to keep them running. otherwise no fizzy drinks, beer, meat production, other food production.

the mad part is that the carbon dioxide plants only exist because it gets created as a by-product from the production of agricultural fertiliser.

it’s the kind of thing that a couple of years ago we would have laughed about if we had heard about it happening in venezuela or zimbabwe or something

tried to order an amp from thomann a couple of weeks ago and they eventually refunded me and basically said the amp just doesn’t exist anymore. there’s a warehouse somewhere in china with a million of them, but they won’t be available to consumers for months and months, so thomann just dropped it from their line-up.

nothing to do with brexit, but this sort of generalised shortage situation can’t be helping things over there
This is a down to the container and driver shortage isn't it? I've been reading endless stories of how truck drivers are sick of being treated like shit, especially in the UK, and just quitting. Not Brexit directly, but Brexit adjacent.

In regards containers, here's a thing from "entrepeneur dot com" because I can't be bothered finding an FT piece on it.

This is a down to the container and driver shortage isn't it? I've been reading endless stories of how truck drivers are sick of being treated like shit, especially in the UK, and just quitting. Not Brexit directly, but Brexit adjacent.

In regards containers, here's a thing from "entrepeneur dot com" because I can't be bothered finding an FT piece on it.

not due to drivers. I’m in germany, where shelves are full and trucks are whizzing. seems like a pure supply shortage problem.

not due to drivers. I’m in germany, where shelves are full and trucks are whizzing. seems like a pure supply shortage problem.
Drivers in the UK I mean! Which i'm sure affects Ireland.

The Brits told everyone to fuck off so everyone fucked off.

I mean, I say this aware that creating artificial shortages in order to drive down regulation is a favourite tactic of large businesses.

edit: but right, not affecting your deliveries in Germany so

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back