People Who Died (8 Viewers)

Chris Anker Sorensen (5 September 1984 - 18 September 2021)
Danish cycling commentator and former pro road cyclist.
Chris Anker was hit by a driver when out cycling in Belgium on Saturday and later died as a result of his injuries.
He was a fine climber who loved a breakaway and was a fans favourite partly due his riding style.
Chris Anker wore his heart on his sleeve with a lot of grimacing and was the easiest rider to pick out in the peloton with his awkward knees out and head bobbing style.

Chris Anker was Danish road champ in 2015 and in 2012 his attacking style won him the combativity prize at the end of the Tour de France where he finished 14th. His finest hour was winning at the summit of the classic Terminillo climb in stage 8 of the 2010 Giro. His highest grand Tour finish was 12th in the 2011 Vuelta.
After retiring in 2018 Chris Anker moved into commentating and he was in Belgium to cover the World Champs which begin on Sunday 19th.

Giro 2010: Chis Anker Sorensen launches his stage 8 winning attack @ 3:30:00 and takes the victory in the fog 3:47:00
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

RIP Chris Anker

Jim doesn't really need a bio from me other than to say he was the best goal scorer ever to come out Britain after scoring 357 goals in Division 1 (and 9 in Serie A) when he retired at 31.
366 goals (one more than Gerd Muller's 365 for Bayern) was a record for Europe's big Leagues until Cristiano Ronaldo surpassed it.

But Greavsie also a recovered alcoholic, who was a pioneer in publicly using his status to honestly try and help and advocate when addiction was little spoken about 40 years ago, least of all by successful people.
And he was also an entrepreneur, journalist, TV presenter, a Tory who admired Thatcher (but knew their ideas about football were clueless and wasn't afraid to say so), an Italian champion from his brief but prolific spell with AC Milan in 1961 (where he played with Trapattoni, Gianni Rivera, Jose Altafini and Cesare Maldini) and he suffered the disappointment of an injured toe at the 1966 World Cup where was dropped in favour of Geoff Hurst.

Chris Anker Sorensen (5 September 1984 - 18 September 2021)
Danish cycling commentator and former pro road cyclist.
Chris Anker was hit by a driver when out cycling in Belgium on Saturday and later died as a result of his injuries.
He was a fine climber who loved a breakaway and was a fans favourite partly due his riding style.
Chris Anker wore his heart on his sleeve with a lot of grimacing and was the easiest rider to pick out in the peloton with his awkward knees out and head bobbing style.

Chris Anker was Danish road champ in 2015 and in 2012 his attacking style won him the combativity prize at the end of the Tour de France where he finished 14th. His finest hour was winning at the summit of the classic Terminillo climb in stage 8 of the 2010 Giro. His highest grand Tour finish was 12th in the 2011 Vuelta.
After retiring in 2018 Chris Anker moved into commentating and he was in Belgium to cover the World Champs which begin on Sunday 19th.

Giro 2010: Chis Anker Sorensen launches his stage 8 winning attack @ 3:30:00 and takes the victory in the fog 3:47:00
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

RIP Chris Anker

heard this news yesterday. I remember him well, a total animal on the bike. I was surprised he was only 37. RIP.

Jim doesn't really need a bio from me other than to say he was the best goal scorer ever to come out Britain after scoring 357 goals in Division 1 (and 9 in Serie A) when he retired at 31.
366 goals (one more than Gerd Muller's 365 for Bayern) was a record for Europe's big Leagues until Cristiano Ronaldo surpassed it.

But Greavsie also a recovered alcoholic, who was a pioneer in publicly using his status to honestly try and help and advocate when addiction was little spoken about 40 years ago, least of all by successful people.
And he was also an entrepreneur, journalist, TV presenter, a Tory who admired Thatcher (but knew their ideas about football were clueless and wasn't afraid to say so), an Italian champion from his brief but prolific spell with AC Milan in 1961 (where he played with Trapattoni, Gianni Rivera, Jose Altafini and Cesare Maldini) and he suffered the disappointment of an injured toe at the 1966 World Cup where was dropped in favour of Geoff Hurst.

I don't know if there's video footage of it anywhere but in the run-up to the Ireland vs England match in Italia '90, Greavsie said something along the lines of.....

"Its not England v Ireland, its England v England B, except for the goalie, he's from Scotland'.

I appreciate he had his demons but that was a spectacularly shit comment.

I don't know if there's video footage of it anywhere but in the run-up to the Ireland vs England match in Italia '90, Greavsie said something along the lines of.....

"Its not England v Ireland, its England v England B, except for the goalie, he's from Scotland'.

I appreciate he had his demons but that was a spectacularly shit comment.
Jimmy was a loudmouth of course and on Saint and Greavsie, Ian St John was the straight man who did the actual presenting and tried not to laugh at Jimmy while he was given a lot of leeway to clown around. and Jimmy wrote for The Sun and The Mail. about 1986 he was an ITV Breakfast TV presenter. and of course he didn't care for the human rights of Scottish goalkeepers.

one thing I forgot to mention was Jimmy Greaves used to answer the letters in kids football magazine Shoot! which was the biggest selling sports magazine in the UK in the 1980's.
the worst letter would get the bobby prize title of 'Wally of The Week' a very nasty thing to label a poor kid with.

e.g. ''Why is West Ham player George Parris not playing for France?'' A: He's an England U-21international.

the best response Jim gave a wally was a South African kid who wrote (circa 1989) that no one could claim to be world champs until they beat the South African national team. Jimmy responded in his usual not subtle style that no one was going to be playing South Africa until their government got a brain and got rid of apartheid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back