Cancelled (6 Viewers)

Could never be doing with him with that bag on his head. He clearly feels bad about having a song using that word, which is good. A bit much to expect people to believe he didnt know what it meant. Anyway, most of us have done questionable things in life.

Prank phonecalls are very embarrassing. *loser sign*

A bit much to expect people to believe he didnt know what it meant
I didn't read it that way. When we were growing up the functional meaning of "spastic" was "fool". The origin of the word was irrelevant - it didn't mean people who used it particularly looked down on people with cerebral palsy. It's evolution into a generalised insult though means society in general does look down on people with cerebral palsy, and I guess blindboy is apologising for reminding disabled people about that? Or maybe for his tiny part in that?

Prank phonecalls are very embarrassing. *loser sign*
I think the balloon prank call in one of the funniest things evar

Prank calls?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When we were growing up the functional meaning of "spastic" was "fool".
Yeah, same here. It was totally a (cruel) dig at someone’s intelligence. I only found out that it was related to cerebral palsy a few years ago. In any case, it was clearly a derogatory word coming from a disability (whether mental or physical) so not knowing it’s referring to spasms and not being cognitively impaired/delayed is kind of beyond the point.

On the other hand, a bunch of us were talking here the other day about a band called (retards) so not exactly able to take any kind of moral high ground.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That could have been done so much better. It's a great idea though.

I have heard worse reasons from people who haven't showed up for work.

Yeah, same here. It was totally a (cruel) dig at someone’s intelligence. I only found out that it was related to cerebral palsy a few years ago. In any case, it was clearly a derogatory word coming from a disability (whether mental or physical) so not knowing it’s referring to spasms and not being cognitively impaired/delayed is kind of beyond the point.

On the other hand, a bunch of us were talking here the other day about a band called (retards) so not exactly able to take any kind of moral high ground.
a 'fool' to me means someone with poor judgement, unwise or lacking sense.
which is different from stupid which purely means lack of intelligence.

I try to avoid calling people stupid and focus on their inability to make good decisions.
so twit or fool are better words than 'stupid'.

personally I think questioning anyone's intelligence whether or not they have disability is something to be avoided. so basically I think 'stupid' isn't far removed for moron, retard, spa etc.

words like lame, retard, fag, gay, dumb, pussy, cissy etc. were widely used negatively in the USA until the early 21st century. lame only went out of fashion in the 2010's.

of those words I'd say retard is the least bad. I used to say 'retarded' to describe parts of my life that were underdeveloped and I hadn't got the most out of.

I didn't read it that way. When we were growing up the functional meaning of "spastic" was "fool". The origin of the word was irrelevant - it didn't mean people who used it particularly looked down on people with cerebral palsy. It's evolution into a generalised insult though means society in general does look down on people with cerebral palsy, and I guess blindboy is apologising for reminding disabled people about that? Or maybe for his tiny part in that?
Yeah fair enough. It would have been used a lot with the classic tongue stuck into the lower lip and hand gestures (see Trump) back in the day. I'm talking 11 years old and below. We wouldn't have known about cerebral palsy. It was just an insult.

Yeah fair enough. It would have been used a lot with the classic tongue stuck into the lower lip and hand gestures (see Trump) back in the day. I'm talking 11 years old and below. We wouldn't have known about cerebral palsy. It was just an insult.

I would have remembered it being synonymous with retard though - which was clearly aimed at people with mental or physical disabilities.

'ya spa'

I personally preferred the term 'congenital idiot' as a teenage insult. which is worse again

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back