Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (2 Viewers)

just thinking - would it not be easier to bring mohammed to the mountain? i.e. use seawater for cooling, but without the need to actually put the systems underwater?

there was chat of that here and the downside is pumping warm water into nature 24/7 for a decade will completely fuck up the bay ecosystem. Might be ok in a roaming offshore scenario but not in a fixed inlet.

So, like an oil rig sort of thing?

Yeah i mean like i'm talking about galway bay which is a really static silty bay on the side where these things were being looked at. open sea is going to be different.

I mean call me crazy but I kinda think just not building ever increasing data centres is actually the solution. If they continue uncapped they are the new car/plabe and we already still have those.

So many of our service jobs involve having to work on systems that were installed with no thought on how to get at them if something breaks. My sympathies for whoever ends up having to do repair work on something like that.
I know the feeling!!

these were in a tether like a fishing net and you just hoisted them up off a ship’s winch

Massive floods in new york and new jersey

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I guess it's kinda stating the bleeding obvious, but there's a lot of high voltage lines running under the ground in NYC. They're old, probably knocked around now and again, they've done hundreds of freezing/hot cycles in salty water, and guess what, sometimes they break or crack and short out.

Back when I was there people were getting zapped on the regular, and killed. Stepping on a manhole cover that had some weird short, in concentrated salty water from the salt to melt the street ice. So, yeah, I'd be a bit careful about floating around or fucking about with that kind of thing in any way during floods.

It's ok zero contract hours are still safe

Jaysus. I hope that plastic bag is perfectly water proof, he's dipping that food through diluted sewerage mixed with whatever industrial run off is around.

Right enough though, the guy doing the delivery is a Latino guy, they're the backbone of the labour economy there, and they're basically considered to be disposable. All paid off the books, if the employer has any issue with them he'll just can him, or call up immigration and get him vanished.

There's three layers of racism, whites, people of colour, and then the central american guys who are so low on the totem pole people don't consider that to even be racism. They just don't exist.

So many of our service jobs involve having to work on systems that were installed with no thought on how to get at them if something breaks. My sympathies for whoever ends up having to do repair work on something like that.
Haha indeed. I was an oceanographer for a while (that was my job when I started coming here) and most people underestimate what an insanely harsh environment the sea is

Haha indeed. I was an oceanographer for a while (that was my job when I started coming here) and most people underestimate what an insanely harsh environment the sea is
1) What does an oceanographer do?
2) What was it like?
3) Why did you quit?

Heh, well, I guess it's basically someone who does science on the sea, but avoids biology. TBH most of what I was doing was programming a computer - processing data streams coming in from various measurement devices (based on buoys and boats) and pushing all the data into a big database (in the Marine Institute's data centre) so that other people could analyse it and try and get some kind of handle on the big Atlantic algal blooms that would occasionally shut down the shellfish industry along the west coast.

So mostly it was just writing code, same as every other "proper" job I've had, though it was nice to be doing something science-y (I studied physics in college and fell into programming kinda by accident) ... and once in a while I'd get to spend a week out at sea on a research vessel, which I fucking loved.

It was an 18-month contract funded as part of some EU project, so when it was over I went back to writing code to make money for suits :/

imagine the amount of human shit and jizz and whatnot in that water.

the amount of things you could catch / make you sick makes this guy an idiot.
Unless he's some sort of mutant already

I know some of ye have probably seen my ranting on the twitter etc BUT JESUS I am so dissapointed.

One of the enviro influencer types i follow has gone from amazing teardown vids on enviro bullshit to advertising cars through the channel they built doing amazing teardown vids. I asked, really nicely what the fucking fuck they were doing with the channel and they blocked me and deleted my question. As my mate says, at least a boy racer would give you and answer, and be honest that they don't give a fuck, but knowing (and this person has the qualifications to know) that those sweet auto dollars undermine literally everything they've said to this point, and ploughing through for the cash, is just not a place you can be and trade as an environmental activist, which they are doing. Like I've been deep in the following of enviro things for a while, and when a car company lies to you thats what you expect, but a qualified expert, who lives and works in this country, that is heartbreaking. We are fucked. JEEEEEESIS like.

I know some of ye have probably seen my ranting on the twitter etc BUT JESUS I am so dissapointed.

One of the enviro influencer types i follow has gone from amazing teardown vids on enviro bullshit to advertising cars through the channel they built doing amazing teardown vids. I asked, really nicely what the fucking fuck they were doing with the channel and they blocked me and deleted my question. As my mate says, at least a boy racer would give you and answer, and be honest that they don't give a fuck, but knowing (and this person has the qualifications to know) that those sweet auto dollars undermine literally everything they've said to this point, and ploughing through for the cash, is just not a place you can be and trade as an environmental activist, which they are doing. Like I've been deep in the following of enviro things for a while, and when a car company lies to you thats what you expect, but a qualified expert, who lives and works in this country, that is heartbreaking. We are fucked. JEEEEEESIS like.
NAME NAMES

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back