People Who Died (7 Viewers)

Hmm

I mean that's nice and all, and I loved Omar, but isn't anyone else a little sickened by this kind of backslapping?
That came across as a very honest and sincere appraisal of his work though by one of his peers. I don’t think people praise each other enough, everyone’s quick to shoot you down but not to come out and say in any deep way: “This person put the work in, this person was a pleasure to work with, and this person did something significant”. Especially for people of colour, women, and other communities that aren’t the old boys’ club.

I don’t think people praise each other enough, everyone’s quick to shoot you down
The is the exact opposite of my experience of working with Americans. When someone is leaving there are big long email threads where people praise them in ridiculously glowing terms, and say how they've changed the world for the better. We have a slack channel specifically for saying how great your workmates are.

Wendell Pierce comes across as sincere in that clip, and I fucking love The Wire (and Omar particularly) but I listen to people talk like this every day and ... I dunno. I thought it was amazing for a while, but now to me it seems like just part of the theatre of the workplace (and American culture in general)

(and if by "old boys' club" you mean middle-aged white Irish lads like me (or I guess you) then in my experience it's very unusual to praise a peer in public especially if the peer is present)

Yeah when it's for known cunts (Bowie for examples) but MKW seemed like a sound chap and I get the sense the tributes are heartfelt
My two biggest gut reactions to celebrity deaths have been Michael K Williams and Philip Seymour Hoffman. Maybe it's because of the roles they took and the general good vibes they projected.

Yeah when it's for known cunts (Bowie for examples) but MKW seemed like a sound chap and I get the sense the tributes are heartfelt

what did bowie do? I’ve seen a couple of these sorts of snide comments about him but it never seems to resolve into any particular specifics. as far as I’m aware, he had the time when people thought he was a fascist, and he rode a load of possibly-underage groupies when he was a cokehead. not trying to deny any of these things. just curious if this is the full rap sheet or there’s more here that I haven’t heard about yet.

I think the "he rode a load of absolutely known at the time, being underage was the point groupies" is usually what people bring up, yes.

the fascism thing is interesting. best summary of why people thought he was a fascist is probably here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

None of it particularly bothers me, I have to say, but its definitely worth thinking about when considering an entire career. The Sweet dressed up as actual Hitlers on one of their TOTP performances. The above article tries a bit to hard to intellectualize what was clearly just a coked up rockstar talking bollocks.

I think the "he rode a load of absolutely known at the time, being underage was the point groupies" is usually what people bring up, yes.

ok. to be clear, I am not trying to minimise or make excuses for statutory rape. I just wanted to clear up that he wasn’t also a murderer or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

• dudley
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back