Jaysus cycling! (9 Viewers)

View attachment 15141

another amazing day. I found this house here: Google Maps

The map doesn't really do it justice, it was on the edge of the cliff, facing out into the Atlantic, in the middle of nowhere. It's a proper gaff too, toilet out the back and so on.

I've been trying to work out who'd put a house out here, it felt exposed today, and today was absolutely stunning. In the winter it would be an endurance sport.
speaking of houses in odd places, there's a house on the left, halfway between the featherbeds and the turnoff for Glencree that I never noticed before last weekend. Its an old looking house and I am almost certain it was never there before. I was wondering if it was something to do with that film they were making around the hellfire club over the last while. Its by a bog road, so thats plausible. I might walk up to it at the weekend for a closer look.

I've been trying to work out who'd put a house out here, it felt exposed today, and today was absolutely stunning. In the winter it would be an endurance sport.
might it have been a lookout point?
i remember something much cruder but in a similar sort of spot near ardmore.

speaking of houses in odd places, there's a house on the left, halfway between the featherbeds and the turnoff for Glencree that I never noticed before last weekend. Its an old looking house and I am almost certain it was never there before. I was wondering if it was something to do with that film they were making around the hellfire club over the last while. Its by a bog road, so thats plausible. I might walk up to it at the weekend for a closer look.
is it on google street view?

View attachment 15141

another amazing day. I found this house here: Google Maps

The map doesn't really do it justice, it was on the edge of the cliff, facing out into the Atlantic, in the middle of nowhere. It's a proper gaff too, toilet out the back and so on.

The red brick and cut stone is strange to me. I'm not sure I've seen that anywhere from galway to Donegal. Cork would have different trade links though I suppose.

might it have been a lookout point?
i remember something much cruder but in a similar sort of spot near ardmore.
Right, I did think about that, I went inside to try to see what it would have been looking out at, this is the view from the middle window, bit hazy but it's almost like the house is centered to look at the Sovereigns.

You get a slightly better feel for it there, there's a small bit of scrub in front, and then down to the sea.

There was also a massive bank behind the house, so you couldn't see the house coming from the land until you were on top of it. You can see the bank in the other photo, it was the weird bank bit that made me wonder what was going on over there.

Hm. Now I'm wondering if the bank wasn't meant to obscure the house, but was meant to be a platform for a fire or a light? Like, you'd have some lad stationed out in this house keeping an eye out for them naughty Spaniards or whoever the Brits were worried about at the time, and if you saw something you'd run up the hill and light the fire? It's possible there's a direct line of sight from the top of that mound to Charles Fort.

It was so well built, and so isolated, it does have that English military smell. I just couldn't figure out what use it would have been, even if you can see something you're still out on the edge of a cliff in the middle of nowhere. But yeah, if there's a line of sight from the top of the mound, then it's probably related to Charles Fort.

Attachments

• IMG-0801.jpg
    IMG-0801.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 4
i suspect the purpose was possibly military - i've never seen this before on the OSI map viewer - 'secure area':

securearea.png

but looking at the 25" map, it's marked as 'Rifle Ranges' - albeit surrounded by a Race Course (which is also present on the 6" map)

riflerange.png

where that building is seems to be down near the 'mantlet' marked on the map? i've just learned a mantlet is a shield to catch ordnance, so was probably the backstop for the rifle range i guess.

@magicbastarder wow... legend. That's the building, exactly. By where it says "Butt".

OK... a rifle range. Mad. I suppose a rifle range would be a thing you'd put in the middle of nowhere alright.

I never knew about this Ordnance Survey map thing either. Nice.

Thanks! That's amazing. Well played.

go to osi.ie, follow the links to the mapviewer.
in the top left of the screen expand 'base information and mapping' and you can play with multiple layers - aerial premium really shows that bank up due to low sun; but there's also the 25" map which i screengrabbed above (finished around 1911 IIRC) and the 6" map (which predates the famine)

bank.jpg

go to osi.ie, follow the links to the mapviewer.
in the top left of the screen expand 'base information and mapping' and you can play with multiple layers - aerial premium really shows that bank up due to low sun; but there's also the 25" map which i screengrabbed above (finished around 1911 IIRC) and the 6" map (which predates the famine)

View attachment 15146

it's amazing how much clearer everything looks from above. You can see how everything relates to each other.

That photograph has to be from a while ago, it's a bit scrubbier looking now. I'll take the kids up there next time, and send them off looking for bullet casings.

Today's attempted murder was a guy in a 25 seater bus trying to road rage me off the road - I'm 100% happy to head to the cops and report this kind of craic. Anyone ever done this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back