Jaysus cycling! (6 Viewers)

an environmental impact statement is required to determine if taking cars off the road to replace them with bikes is going to be bad for the environment.

Denizens of Dublin 4 aren't going to take kindly to cars being diverted through their streets.

Denizens of Dublin 4 are also very wealthy.

=> I'd be surprised if this gets allowed.

"There is a widely held perception that cyclists and their supporters in the Government and city council are middle-class elitists" - and then proceeds to assume that is true, because questioning it might a) yank the rug out from under his article, or b) make him deal with the question that if it *is* true, why is that?

i'm sure all the deliveroo cyclists reading it are chuckling while drinking their chai lattes in their portobello houses.
he seems to think 'cyclists' and 'cycling advocates' are the same thing.

He needs to articulate very clearly how he thinks class works in Ireland because his entire article both hinges on that and fudges any kind of clear distinctions, jumping from continent to continent, country to country.

> So how did bicycles become a class issue? Because a class issue it certainly is.

Is this how it works now? Make up something and then agree with yourself. Hold on, let me give this a go.

So how does the appearance of yellow paint induce autoimmune disorders in mice? Because it certainly does.

So how does the shape of magnolia leaves incite xenophobia within the French elite? Because it certainly does.

Lol. Nice. This simplifies things considerably. Enjoy those autoimmune disorders mice, you dumb fucks.

i think his point about bike theft was (and i'm not joking); 'the middle classes in portobello are clearly worried about bike theft, because they have expensive bikes. but because we all know that middle class people are not bike thieves, this is actually not a fear of bike theft, but an expression of dislike of the working classes, insert comment about dog whistles'.

if someone can come up with a more coherent explanation, i'd be grateful.

I didn't know what to make of them and then I was up some mountains in kerry and there were a load of people who were a bit older or say not your regular cyclists living on raisins and gels body types and they were able to experience the mountains and i've been completely sold on them since then.

for her, she's looking to cycle the 15km out to the stables; and there's a 2.5km stretch alongside the runway at dublin airport she'd often be cycling into a headwind, which is a slog for a non-cyclist; but the e-bike would mean she'd arrive much fresher before getting on the horse.

i could see the difference it made in suburban traffic when we were heading home from the bike shop. having that acceleration and confidence in being able to maintain a steady speed made her more assured on the road, she was more confident about taking the lane etc.

I started cycling proper again this summer, found a 30k loop around my area, up and down hills. I've started to be quite impressed with my own progress in it, the bits where I was dying going up a few months ago i'm breezing by now. I'm also shuddering at the knowledge that my running will have returned to "unable to run" levels though.

for her, she's looking to cycle the 15km out to the stables; and there's a 2.5km stretch alongside the runway at dublin airport she'd often be cycling into a headwind, which is a slog for a non-cyclist; but the e-bike would mean she'd arrive much fresher before getting on the horse.

i could see the difference it made in suburban traffic when we were heading home from the bike shop. having that acceleration and confidence in being able to maintain a steady speed made her more assured on the road, she was more confident about taking the lane etc.
I used an e-bike for about year there back in 2015 or so, it was an old one my dad got years ago, like 2005 model or something, so probably quite different to how they are now. The jump you get when you started pedalling was great in traffic, getting moving directly from a red light. It wasn't actually that different from normal cycling otherwise.

Last edited:
I used an e-bike for about year there back in 2015 or so, it was an old one my dad got years ago, like 2005 model or something, so probably quite different to how they are now. The jump you get when you started pedalling was great in traffic, getting moving directly from a red light. It wasn't actually that different from normal cycling otherwise.

the ones I was seeing in the US, before lockdown say, were impressive enough things. You'd see aul fellas, perched up on top of the bike, sat up in the wind, absolutely ripping along for miles.

I'd be trying to reel in these lads, full TT tuck, squeezing in my shoulders, drilling it for mile after mile sweat pouring off me, and they'd be just off in front of me breezing along. Even if I managed to bridge up to them the best I could do would be sit on their wheel like a weirdo, there'd be no way you could pass them and maintain a gap for any length of time.

Car bother has me back cycling to work by force and it's great. I barely want to fix the car tbh.
I lost a load of weight and got fitter than I'd been in years when my car was in the garage.
Now the bikes I have are rotting away behind my shed and I'm fat and unhealthy again.
Thinking of giving them to that "donate a bike to Africa" scheme before they're too fucked.

the ones I was seeing in the US, before lockdown say, were impressive enough things. You'd see aul fellas, perched up on top of the bike, sat up in the wind, absolutely ripping along for miles.

I'd be trying to reel in these lads, full TT tuck, squeezing in my shoulders, drilling it for mile after mile sweat pouring off me, and they'd be just off in front of me breezing along. Even if I managed to bridge up to them the best I could do would be sit on their wheel like a weirdo, there'd be no way you could pass them and maintain a gap for any length of time.
Anything that harms the carbon framed spandex gangs in their superhero cycling poses as they try and break the speed of sound is good in my book.

Anything that harms the carbon framed spandex gangs in their superhero cycling poses as they try and break the speed of sound is good in my book.
you're not a fully qualified spandex super hero until you've been passed by a lad with a flat cap, sensible shoes, a black bike, with a bag of spud on the front of it, up a ten percent gradient, in the lashings of rain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back