Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (4 Viewers)

the issue with backfeeding into the grid is that it can be very complex; you need to exactly match frequency/voltage etc., have an automatic cutoff in case of power outages etc., because you could potentially damage your neighbours electrical equipment otherwise AFAIK.
i remember talking to a german colleague about it ten years ago - he had a small gas turbine in his house for microgeneration, and the german government had some scheme to fast track the licence process to backfeed; but in ireland back then the licence to do so - which was essentially to become a supplier - was extremely expensive. 10-15k IIRC.

this is an interesting watch about a related topic - how close texas came to complete meltdown of its electricity network (and why it's not just a case of turning it back on again - could take up to a month to bring it back up)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

this is an interesting watch about a related topic - how close texas came to complete meltdown of its electricity network (and why it's not just a case of turning it back on again - could take up to a month to bring it back up)

Texas is so fucked

the issue with backfeeding into the grid is that it can be very complex; you need to exactly match frequency/voltage etc., have an automatic cutoff in case of power outages etc., because you could potentially damage your neighbours electrical equipment otherwise AFAIK.
i remember talking to a german colleague about it ten years ago - he had a small gas turbine in his house for microgeneration, and the german government had some scheme to fast track the licence process to backfeed; but in ireland back then the licence to do so - which was essentially to become a supplier - was extremely expensive. 10-15k IIRC.

if you have a battery back up system, there has to be an automatic disconnect from the mains supply in to your supply board exactly via a large contactor when there is a power cut and your inverter kicks in to power your things.
This is so you don't send your back up power back down the lines and either a) destroy equipment or b) kill the lads what might be trying to fix it

I read this bullshit earlier and felt so utterly hopeless and depressed, not so much for myself and all humanity, but for my own kids.

The practical "well when the time comes im going to chop wood and grow strawberries" thread i lurked on here a few days ago. That actually hit home that people are genuinely thinking about the end of the world.

So when's @pete going to organise the Thumped climate change benefit gig?

I read this bullshit earlier and felt so utterly hopeless and depressed, not so much for myself and all humanity, but for my own kids.

The practical "well when the time comes im going to chop wood and grow strawberries" thread i lurked on here a few days ago. That actually hit home that people are genuinely thinking about the end of the world.

@pete should organised there thumped survivalist roadshow.

I felt like this 30 years ago - nothing much I can do then or now but it's never been far from my mind

I was reading some Nazi history book recently, as you do, and it did strike me how the German generals warned in 1937-8 that there was no way Germany could win a war in Europe, economically it just wasn't feasible. They were dismissed.

Then as it all fell apart around 1942/43 they just kept telling people "no, we're actually winning, we're about to invent a game-changing technology that will save us" right up until the Allies were at the doors of Berlin. When they finally admitted all was lost the disconnect was so great that a wave of suicides swept down through the Nazi ranks and into the public.

I suppose what i'm saying is, people will deny anything and everything right until it's way, way beyond the point of no-return, and they'll keep on going after that as well.

anyway, todays' report:

Major climate changes now inevitable and irreversible, stark UN report says

Trey Parker and Matt Stone will be in their bunker in New Zealand in a few years, still pumping out South Park cartoons about how every political position that isn't pure nihilism is dumb.

I was reading some Nazi history book recently, as you do, and it did strike me how the German generals warned in 1937-8 that there was no way Germany could win a war in Europe, economically it just wasn't feasible. They were dismissed.

Then as it all fell apart around 1942/43 they just kept telling people "no, we're actually winning, we're about to invent a game-changing technology that will save us" right up until the Allies were at the doors of Berlin. When they finally admitted all was lost the disconnect was so great that a wave of suicides swept down through the Nazi ranks and into the public.

I suppose what i'm saying is, people will deny anything and everything right until it's way, way beyond the point of no-return, and they'll keep on going after that as well.

anyway, todays' report:

Major climate changes now inevitable and irreversible, stark UN report says

ah the nazi's --

in fairness I think more people are consciously aware of the fact we're fucked than may have been the case in the general german public in the early 40's.

I think it still seems distant to a lot of people, or too big, scary and hairy to think about.

the idea of a 'do X now, for a benefit you may not see for a long time' - is not something humans are great at, particularly in the dominant culture and economic system in the west

I do think change is happening, just far to gradual and piecemeal

the 'wonder weapon' analogy is valid though.. a solutionist approach in which elon musk makes even more money and things carry on as normal is very attractive

Then as it all fell apart around 1942/43 they just kept telling people "no, we're actually winning, we're about to invent a game-changing technology that will save us"
Yeah but if they’d committed to it and hadn’t undermined their own work and invested properly and won that particular race…

So what you’re saying is that we’re the Germans, and the boys over in the Reichsforschungsrat need to get the finger out if they want to beat the climate change manhattan project?

was watching a doc last year saying the lack of a Gulf Stream will eventually lead to a lack of global weather and well be stuck in a dead weather system with nothing growing and getting burnt ta fuck.

That’s if the oceans haven’t risen to swallow us by then or the sea has been rid of plankton and land of Forestry and we all die of asphyxiation /lack of oxygen

ah the nazi's --
lol I know, I know.

in fairness I think more people are consciously aware of the fact we're fucked than may have been the case in the general german public in the early 40's.
But not the German Generals in the late 1930s! I.e. the experts, who got fired for being all doom and gloom.

I'd argue people are not consciously aware right now, it's all vague and abstract and happening elsewhere... "floods in Cork? Man, hate to live in Cork. I'm good though. "

I think it still seems distant to a lot of people, or too big, scary and hairy to think about.

the idea of a 'do X now, for a benefit you may not see for a long time' - is not something humans are great at, particularly in the dominant culture and economic system in the west

I do think change is happening, just far to gradual and piecemeal
It'll happen, maybe not too little but definitely too late. I expect the next few generations will just be dealing with a lot less food, a lot more wars, a lot of extreme weather events and an awful lot of Fortress Europe-ing as the entire of North Africa drowns in the Mediterranean.

Yeah but if they’d committed to it and hadn’t undermined their own work and invested properly and won that particular race…

So what you’re saying is that we’re the Germans, and the boys over in the Reichsforschungsrat need to get the finger out if they want to beat the climate change manhattan project
What i'm saying is we're fucked and PR will be telling us we're not fucked as the Atlantic super storms hit Ireland.

dominant economic system in the west
There's a few die-hard free-market fundamentalists out there but my take is that the dominant economic system in the west is "me and all my mates deserve to be rich" and that's as far as it goes. They'll do austerity or they'll do massive public funding, whatever it takes to keep that going. They don't care about being hypocritical, they care about being rich. Not very sophisticated of me but then we're talking about the Tory Party and Fine Gael.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back