Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (3 Viewers)

Was going to do a thread last week on Olympic scandals.
but I couldn't find this incredible blog on Si-Hun Park beating Roy Jones Jr in the Seoul Olympics in 1988. also a lot of the American footage I wanted was gone off you tube.
the links do work if you follow them to you tube

Roy, his family and all the broadcasters were so stunned afterwards they didn't know what say.
at one point one said something like ''is there something we missed ?'' just complete disbelief no anger just stunned shock.
then they went back to Bryant Gumbel in the studio he and the pundits are also remarkably calm and lost for any explanation.
however all I can find is the match and an interview with Jones after
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

the scoring system was changed after for Barcelona and largely stayed that way until Rio and look what happened there.

Roy Jones Jr. was fighting in light middle weight at Seoul in 1988 not bad for a future world heavyweight champ!

earlier in the boxing a Korean Byun Jong-Il was deducted points for using his head in a Bantam fight against Alexander Hristov who later won silver,
after the decision was announced all hell broke lose in the most shameful and infamous moment of the games,
a bunch of Korean coaches stormed the ring and started punching the referee from NZ with only his colleagues there to help him.

the US coverage of the fight went down badly in South Korea. after the ring was cleared the defeated boxer Byun sat in the ring for 67 minutes. when the US TV moved onto another event there was a box in the top corner of the screen showing the Byun sitting in the ring until he left.
this Japanese (?) report on what happened is all I can find find.

according the the blog (that I can't find) this partly led to Jones been set up:
the US TV coverage of the ring riot was somehow deemed an insult and in LA four years earlier Korean boxers had been on the wrong end of some dubious decisions to Americans.
also the blog quoted a book that alleged that Byun had been told he was going to get a medal.

five of the Korean coaches were banned from the arena but the blog I mentioned pointed out one of them was regularly seen there after and in the ring with Si-Hun Park when he 'won'.

Park never saw himself as a pro and retired from amateur boxing aged 23 and later became a coach.
as Jones went on to become dominate boxing from the early 1990's to early 2000's, Park medal became increasingly infamous.
Also in the semi Park had beaten future super middle world chap Italian Vincenzo Nardiello who was furious about the decision. some background info here on Korean anger about 1984 Olympics:

reading this upset me hugely. a senseless sporting decision ruined Si-Hun Park's life for over 30 years.

Jones only lost one of his first 50 pro fights and only on a technicality. he was finishing a guy off went down on a knee to take a count to save himself, Jones punched him and was disqualified.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
in the feather weight QF of the 1996 Olympics 18 year old Floyd Mayweather beat the next best boxer in the tournament Cuban Lorenzo Aragon
next Mayweather faced Bulgarian Serafim Todorov in the semi

since when has punching someone twice in the chin not been a scoring punch?
only about half the scoring punches Mayweather landed earned points

the president of amateur boxing at the time was Bulgarian and he saw to it his boys took three medals in 1996 inc Todorov's silver.
since then Mayweather has never lost a fight

Last edited:
Women's cycling is far cagier than men's. It's rare enough to see a break go and get that established. Even stage races tend to be more attritional. So when that break went yesterday, given how small the teams were, I couldn't see them getting organised enough to reel them back in. Even moreso because no one would be willing to help out the Dutch (who would have probably taken 2 or 3 medals if the bunch arrived at the line together).
a family friend was considered a medal hope in the triathlon in london; but she got boxed in on the swim and when the race reached the bikes, they were sliding out all over the place, apparently the course was really slippy after rain the night before. Aileen came off at least once, and found herself further back down the field than she was used to/happy with, and was trying to work with some of the other competitors to chase the leading group (elite triathlons are draft legal), but they looked at her as if she had two heads, so she had to break out on her own to try to make up lost time.

Winner of the womens road race and the womens triathalon were both people who train on their own outside of team structure.

INTERESTING}
if the implication is that they're juicing, yes, yes, of course they are, but then so are those they've beaten.

apparently there is almost zero drugs testing at these olympics because all the testing resources have been given to covid testing.

Last edited:
if they implication is that they're juicing, yes, yes, of course they are, but then so are those they've beaten.

apparently there is almost zero drugs testing at these olympics because all the testing resources have been given to covid testing.

No, moreso that it's a personal responsibility to actually win and in both those races, you could see it on the athelete, they were winning from start to finish, not waiting for some lucky pounce or war of attrition.

My temporary national hero is through to the semi's but i'm going to sleep instead of watching it

checked in this morning.

He did ok against the Brazilian lad, but that guy - Italo Ferreira was stunning altogether and deserved the gold. Being a bit taller the Austrialian wasn't great at air stuff, Italo was. Cannot find one decent gif or video to stick here though.

heavyweight boxer Emmanuel Reyes Pla knocked out the Kazakhstani second seed and Rio Olympic silver medalist early in the second round half an hour ago.
the bullshit he had to go through to get to his relatives in Spain.
the easy part was flying from Cuba to Moscow.
the EU emigration policy a lot to answer for.

michael phelps has won more olympic medals than anyone else. but isn't it well for him, if you compete in any swimming event under (and including) 400m, you've *15* events you can enter. perhaps there's some scheduling issues which means you can't enter them all, but it's no accident that it's swimmers who tend to eat up medals.

No, moreso that it's a personal responsibility to actually win and in both those races, you could see it on the athelete, they were winning from start to finish, not waiting for some lucky pounce or war of attrition.
its not exactly the same thing but both Lizzie Deignan and Nicole Cooke, who won Olympic silver and bronze medals in recent enough Olympics (Cooke in Beijing, Deignan maybe in London), were outside of the British Cycling programme.

Both were top pros, riding and training with the top pro teams, but both hated the BC setup, which was fucking toxic, to say the least (google Jess Varnish British Cycling).

Nicole Cooke's autobiography goes into the ins-and-outs of how poorly the athletes were treated, and how bullying is/was pervasive. Cooke and Deignan (Emma Pooley too), were good enough to go it alone. Most british female cyclists weren't. Nor was it possible to go it alone on the track, where the brits have cleaned up over the last few olympics (where they are strongly suspected of motor doping).

what's emma pooley up these days? i didn't know much about her cycling career, but she was a good presenter when she was on GCN. i think the stated reason for her leaving was to her to return to education?

what's emma pooley up these days? i didn't know much about her cycling career, but she was a good presenter when she was on GCN. i think the stated reason for her leaving was to her to return to education?
last I heard she'd moved to Switzerland and was into mountain running in a big way. Seems to have gone pretty much off the grid other than the odd tweet here and there.

last I heard she'd moved to Switzerland and was into mountain running in a big way. Seems to have gone pretty much off the grid other than the odd tweet here and there.
Re: Cooke, Pooley and Deignan. it says it all the three best British road riders of last few decades owed nothing to the Brailsford / Shane Sutton mafia.

Like Kiesenhofer, Dr. Pooley is a clever clogs she was a runner at Cambridge U and then an injury led to cycling as part of her recovery. she was geologist of some sort based in Suisse (where she also studied) and I didn't know she was on GCN which I really only watch on Eurosport.
after she retired from cycling I saw her do well in triathlons but other than that lost track of her...

on further investigation - this is pretty up to date. she was still killing it mountain running as of last year _

Jesus swimming is boring.
it's the scourge of every Olympics' opening week.
and as said above there is a silly amount of swimming events. especially when you think cycling had to get rid of the 4km pursuit (as a stand alone event) to bring in the BMX events.
Butterfly swimming what's the point?!
Phelps was by far the best 200m freestyle swimmer ever but butterfly, medley and relay events accounted for most all of his other medals.
and he's as boring as fuck. nothing remotely interesting about him.

surfing was surprisingly boring to watch ages spent finding the right wave and then less than 30 secs of action every 5 or 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back