What television series are you currently making your way through? (2 Viewers)

Once upon a time in Iraq.

I guess it fits in this thread as there are multiple episodes, and it's on TV.

It's good, it can't not be good considering the subject matter. It's so strange watching stuff that is still so vivid in my memory replayed with 15 or so years worth of perspective. I think most of us thought "this is going to turn out badly" at the time, but re-seeing that stuff is like "wft was everyone thinking?".

As a doc, it does all the usual tropes, which irks me a bit. Like filming people before the clapper claps, and having a camera filming a camera. But it works.

As an aside, one of the people interviewed was in Marine Recon, the tip of the spear of the first force to invade Mesopetamia since Genghis Khan. That really makes me want to rewatch Generation Kill.

So I finished S2 of War of the Worlds a couple of weeks ago. Overall I enjoyed it but the first season was much much better than the second, which felt a bit like it had suffered from budget-driven plot choices. One thing that struck me about the whole thing was the amount of small children murdered on screen, which you might think is a bit of a strange observation since the whole thing was concerned with events after an almost global extinction event, but still. Maybe I’m just old fashioned. Also some of the subtitling was very very ropey but maybe that’ll be resolved when it arrives on Disney+/Star this month.

Apparently there’s a 3rd season on the way, even though the 2nd ended decently enough. Can’t really see where they’ll go with it, but then again based on the S1-S2 transition, who the hell knows.

So I finished S2 of War of the Worlds a couple of weeks ago. Overall I enjoyed it but the first season was much much better than the second, which felt a bit like it had suffered from budget-driven plot choices. One thing that struck me about the whole thing was the amount of small children murdered on screen, which you might think is a bit of a strange observation since the whole thing was concerned with events after an almost global extinction event, but still. Maybe I’m just old fashioned. Also some of the subtitling was very very ropey but maybe that’ll be resolved when it arrives on Disney+/Star this month.

Apparently there’s a 3rd season on the way, even though the 2nd ended decently enough. Can’t really see where they’ll go with it, but then again based on the S1-S2 transition, who the hell knows.
“Let’s take the fight to them! To the Muskmobile!”

S5 of Rick and Morty. It's crazy to read how many more episodes of this show are in the pipeline as it is already showing signs of repetition imho. It's still interesting and well put together though.
I laughed almost to tears at the post credit scene in the 2nd episode.

After watching Line of Duty, I watched the 1st episode of Bodyguard by the same writer. Hoping it's not just going to devolve into "bodyguard man shags lady politician "

that Netflix show Love And Anarchy

swedish comedy drama. seems like a bit of an attempt to rub off the success of Call My Agent, sort of

watched the first season over 2 or 3 days. only 8 episodes, half hour each.

worth a watch. good enough that i'll watch season 2 when it's out later in the year

Started on Loki, two episodes in. Hiddles and Owen are great in it but the story is already in typical Marvel “throw enough time travel at it and we’ll bludgeon the viewer into think we’re very clever”. Not sure I’ll see it through.
This got a lot better, much better than I was expecting. Then I watched the season finale and honestly it was one of the most boring and useless things I’ve seen.

The villain’s absolutely tedious exposition at the end was the worst aspects of the Architect from the Matrix sequels amplified through the Disney-Marvel Hype Complex. So this whole series ended up being a teaser for the next five years of Marvel movies? This world deserves its apocalypse.

This got a lot better, much better than I was expecting. Then I watched the season finale and honestly it was one of the most boring and useless things I’ve seen.

The villain’s absolutely tedious exposition at the end was the worst aspects of the Architect from the Matrix sequels amplified through the Disney-Marvel Hype Complex. So this whole series ended up being a teaser for the next five years of Marvel movies? This world deserves its apocalypse.

I thought it was really good although i needed to watch some New Rockstars/Heavy Spoilers stuff on youtube to fully understand what was going on in relation to the comic origins of these characters. I thought it worked as a solid (that 3rd episode aside) self-contained show, as a first series of Loki, and as a warm up for the Kang/multiverse stuff coming down the tracks in the next few movies.

Maybe because I’ve no interest in the movies and wanted to watch something with a character I liked that was kind of stand-alone that really galled me about it.

It’s like when I used to read Marvel comics in the 90s, the whole thing just became a mess of crossovers and limited edition one-shots that you needed to fill in the story before it imploded into a blob of unworkable chaos so they rebooted the whole thing.

The multiverse/time travel crap was the major crutch they leaned on then for roping in every crappy C-list character to boost sales of their comics. How do you sell a comic that nobody is buying? Get Wolverine to appear in it as part of an ongoing saga where the whole multiverse is at stake. Make it a special issue while you’re at it, put something shiny on the front like an embossed set of adamantium claws.

I watched the first episode of McCartney 3,2,1. I'm usually wary of these type of fly-on-the-wall conversation docs as they can be very sycophantic and over-romanticized. But this as it's very loose - they bounce around on random songs - and McCartney is engaged in the process and not too nostalgic (he is sounding old though). Rubin is also obviously in awe, but is still confident to cut up the tracks in front of him.

Recommend.

I watched the first episode of McCartney 3,2,1. I'm usually wary of these type of fly-on-the-wall conversation docs as they can be very sycophantic and over-romanticized. But this as it's very loose - they bounce around on random songs - and McCartney is engaged in the process and not too nostalgic (he is sounding old though). Rubin is also obviously in awe, but is still confident to cut up the tracks in front of him.

Recommend.
posted the clip when he's talking/discussing the trumpet solo from Penny Lane on minor pleasures thread. Love it.

How/Where you watching? torrents?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back