Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (13 Viewers)

also, the file isn't tamper protected so anyone with root access can modify it. and you can't configure scheduled scans in it, you have to separately create cron jobs for that on each server. also, there's no versioning in the file, so if you send a new config file out to be copied to each system, you've no idea if they've actually received the file or not.

also, the file isn't tamper protected so anyone with root access can modify it. and you can't configure scheduled scans in it, you have to separately create cron jobs for that on each server. also, there's no versioning in the file, so if you send a new config file out to be copied to each system, you've no idea if they've actually received the file or not.
was that system designed by an intern?

Ah yeah, but testing positive and getting sick are not the same thing.

Anyway, one shot down rah rah, delighted

HSE has announced that vaccinated people are now testing Covid -19 positive

Probably the Delta variant
That was always known though, no?

That's what the efficacy numbers they publish say. If your vaccine is 95% effective (I think this is where they're at but the studies are all a bit statistically under-powered ATM), that means 5 people per 100 can still get infected in some shape or form.

They break down "efficacy" into various bins; able to transmit infection, able to avoid infection altogether, able to aquire infection but keep it at level that doesn't require intervention, etc. There's a few definitions if you look closer basically. But yeah, getting a vaccine drastically increases your odds in various areas, but I don't think anyone ever claimed it was going to just be 100% grand from then on.

I dunno. That's how I read those numbers anyway.

I remember at one point there was one statistic that was very encouraging, I've not checked recently if this still stands, but at one point if you define efficacy something like "avoiding hospital / serious complications from infection", I think that number was 100%.

There were zero people who developed serious complications/required hospitalization etc, having had the vaccine. Or at least one of the common ones. That number was important, and it was kind of being underplayed I thought.

How do they get the 95% figure though? Is it just that 5% of those vaccinated in the trials have caught it.

How are they accounting for the number of the 95% who just haven't been exposed to it?
its from the trial and I think thats standard enough for clinical trials pre the release of a new drug. A friend of mine works for one of these companies and co-ordinates these kinds of clinical trials. She told me they'd normally take a whole lot longer than the covid ones did (years in some cases) but understandably they fast-tracked this one.

Putting that 95% figure into perpective, didn't they say the flu vaccine is rarely higher than 60% effective ?

at best it seems, yeah. Would still be good enough for me in terms of Covid tbh

Vaccines_2.png

Putting that 95% figure into perpective, didn't they say the flu vaccine is rarely higher than 60% effective ?
I'm not sure that's comparing like with like though. Flu is more of a constellation of viruses, and they'll try to project which variant is likely to become an issue in the next flu season, and tweak the vaccine towards that.

At the point when they were designing the covid vaccine, they were pretty much looking at one virus more or less (I think). Like, they picked good sites on that virus, that spike protein or whatever which they hoped would generalise nicely and provide immunity to near variants.

If they knew more or less exactly which flu viruses would be sweeping in 10 months they'd be able to design in better efficacy numbers.

Fun fact, there were people talking about certain flu viruses going extinct as a result of human behavioural changes over the last while.

I'm not sure that's comparing like with like though. Flu is more of a constellation of viruses, and they'll try to project which variant is likely to become an issue in the next flu season, and tweak the vaccine towards that.

At the point when they were designing the covid vaccine, they were pretty much looking at one virus more or less (I think). Like, they picked good sites on that virus, that spike protein or whatever which they hoped would generalise nicely and provide immunity to near variants.

If they knew more or less exactly which flu viruses would be sweeping in 10 months they'd be able to design in better efficacy numbers.

Fun fact, there were people talking about certain flu viruses going extinct as a result of human behavioural changes over the last while.
Is COVID likely to end up like flu so? It's just so much more infectious and dangerous it'd seem awful if we accidentally banked on the wrong variant one year and it was down to 10% effectiveness

Is COVID likely to end up like flu so? It's just so much more infectious and dangerous it'd seem awful if we accidentally banked on the wrong variant one year and it was down to 10% effectiveness
so long as there's big money in it for the drugs company they will be sufficiently motivated to try and stay ahead of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back