Cancelled (4 Viewers)

Thanks for the thoughtful answer @taubstumm

I've put in an order on fiverr anyway, we'll see how it comes out. There is a certain amount of collaboration involved, but realistically this is very much me hiring someone to do a job.

I obvs don't see it as problematic. She gets a hundred quid for an hour's work, I get something that sounds cool. Obvs if it was a massive hit and we made a zillion quid out of it that wouldn't be fair, but given our track record it's likely it'll be heard by at most a few hundred people. One way or the other we talked about that and she's totally not interested in any ownership of the track - presumably dealing with amateurs like myself has taught her that we don't have hits, and there's just no point. AFAICS there's no loser here, except for my kids having their college fund spent on their Da's ridiculous hobby.

... but I guess that's neither here nor there. Twitter can't be reasoned with or appeased

You came here with doubt. Not really addressing the ethics here, but if you have doubts about the art at all then I'd say it's a no, but possibly a no that requires conversation to explore what your instincts were trying to do.
No artistic doubt at all - as ye know I've done kinda rap-style vocals in the past myself, and it's come out ok ... tried doing it myself but then when I dropped in a sample from a Wiley song with Stefflon Don rapping it just sounded sooooo much fucking cooler

Thanks for the thoughtful answer @taubstumm

I've put in an order on fiverr anyway, we'll see how it comes out. There is a certain amount of collaboration involved, but realistically this is very much me hiring someone to do a job.

I obvs don't see it as problematic. She gets a hundred quid for an hour's work, I get something that sounds cool. Obvs if it was a massive hit and we made a zillion quid out of it that wouldn't be fair, but given our track record it's likely it'll be heard by at most a few hundred people. One way or the other we talked about that and she's totally not interested in any ownership of the track - presumably dealing with amateurs like myself has taught her that we don't have hits, and there's just no point. AFAICS there's no loser here, except for my kids having their college fund spent on their Da's ridiculous hobby.

... but I guess that's neither here nor there. Twitter can't be reasoned with or appeased

show her this thread

then the rhymes can be her chuckling at our mushy liberal handwringing

if ever there was a news story i had less interest in...
which i suppose makes it kinda interesting, in a sense.

the only interesting thing about this band is that they are a lens for understanding an era of cultural stasis. polite music by sons of bankers. that this dude seems to be on the more nazi end of things is perfectly appropriate for an aristocrat. (and he actually is a real-life aristocrat — his dad has a knighthood)

Mark Fisher commented somewhere about how post-punk was one of the long-run cultural effects of ordinary people being able to go to university — that it was a cultural efflorescence, in the 1980s, of political decisions made in the 1950s.

So now we’re seeing the reverse — that one of the long-run effects of thatcherism and blairism is that “being in a band” is slowly becoming a thing that, in the UK at least, only posh people will be able to do.

the only interesting thing about this band is that they are a lens for understanding an era of cultural stasis. polite music by sons of bankers. that this dude seems to be on the more nazi end of things is perfectly appropriate for an aristocrat. (and he actually is a real-life aristocrat — his dad has a knighthood)

Mark Fisher commented somewhere about how post-punk was one of the long-run cultural effects of ordinary people being able to go to university — that it was a cultural efflorescence, in the 1980s, of political decisions made in the 1950s.

So now we’re seeing the reverse — that one of the long-run effects of thatcherism and blairism is that “being in a band” is slowly becoming a thing that, in the UK at least, only posh people will be able to do.

yeah I mostly agree but on the higher education point - a lot of great bands are formed by folks with little education especially in Thatcher's years. BUT things like squatting and a half decent benefit system helped a huge amount.

yeah - a considerable amount of the post punk / new wave / new pop folks had an art school background.

I thought Blair was a horror show but things just keep getting worse.

Privately educated people becoming the only ones in pop music was a major theme Simon Price used to write about.... before he got the boot from the Independent when they shuttered their arts coverage. You have to be posh to even write about music in a known newspaper now, nevermind make music.

I think Mumford & Sons are pretty decent
Can't stand them. It's just how they write their songs, sure I'm the same with Taylor Swift. Some people (not you) seem to think you cant dislike a pop group for anything bar "rockist" reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back