Cancelled (8 Viewers)

One of my classmates used to call me Jew because I had a big nose, the teacher told us they had big noses. I think I moaned about that here before. I must try and cancel the pair of them some day soon.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Essay on Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's website

This came up in work yesterday, and obvs everyone was very much against Adichie, and kind of took it for granted she's actually transphobic because she doesn't say exactly the right thing. It's weird the way people conflate disagreement with hatred

Two thoughts on this occurred to me afterwards.

First is this - is it plausible that when people say "trans women are women" they mean "there is a category of humans called 'women' which includes biological women and trans women" ... but so-called transphobes think they mean "trans women and biological women are exactly identical", and disagree? And all the gnashing of teeth is simply a failure to be linguistically precise?

Second is this - fantasy writers often construct worlds where words are all-powerful (e.g. Ursula K. LeGuin in the Earthsea stuff, also Patrick Rothfuss's Name Of The Wind books), which IMO is a kind of wish-fulfillment thing for people whose stock-in-trade is words. Could cancel culture be a reflection of us all becoming convinced that words are more important than actions, as a consequence of the internet making us all into writers?

This came up in work yesterday, and obvs everyone was very much against Adichie, and kind of took it for granted she's actually transphobic because she doesn't say exactly the right thing. It's weird the way people conflate disagreement with hatred

First is this - is it plausible that when people say "trans women are women" they mean "there is a category of humans called 'women' which includes biological women and trans women" ... but so-called transphobes think they mean "trans women and biological women are exactly identical", and disagree? And all the gnashing of teeth is simply a failure to be linguistically precise?

Second is this - fantasy writers often construct worlds where words are all-powerful (e.g. Ursula K. LeGuin in the Earthsea stuff, also Patrick Rothfuss's Name Of The Wind books), which IMO is a kind of wish-fulfillment thing for people whose stock-in-trade is words. Could cancel culture be a reflection of us all becoming convinced that words are more important than actions, as a consequence of the internet making us all into writers?

interesting point - the internet has democratized commentary for sure.

I think there's a lot of it in arguments over "gender is just a social construct" vs. "gender is strictly scientifically related to one's biological sex organs (which excludes a proportion of the population, I'm not sure how large it is but they're there)."

A while ago I got hopped on on twitter because I used some variant of "so and so was assigned *some gender* at birth" and my mentions filled up with a load of people (mostly English woman, the less transphobic baseline of Irish feminism vs. English feminism is an interesting case) going "you mean so and so had *some gender* OBSERVED at birth" or similar.

Haha this reminds me of big arguments we had when I was maybe in 2nd class about whether Enid Blyton was a man or a woman. She was actually a woman

She wrote some great books, in fairness to her.
"But it was a different time!"
1624023957552.png
I'm not even going to tell you what their names were. You can guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back