Hellworld Thread (4 Viewers)

what criteria are they using for that 14%? they mention a mile from a rail station at one point, is that the benchmark?
i find it hard to believe that 86% of dublin houses are more than a mile from a bus stop.

I think they’re mixing their stats and being unnecessarily confusing. 14% of new builds are within walking distance of existing transport infrastructure. The other 86% are done Field of Dreams-style, with the expectation that the bus (or rail ha) network will eventually expand to reach them.

Or at least I think that’s what they’re trying to say?

what criteria are they using for that 14%? they mention a mile from a rail station at one point, is that the benchmark?
i find it hard to believe that 86% of dublin houses are more than a mile from a bus stop.

I heard from a esteemed urban geography type that the rule of thumb on the continent is aroud 500M - once you go above that people are more likely to drive.

there was a brief challenge on twitter recently too (and i think mentioned here) about estates in ireland where it can take 45 minutes to move a net total of maybe 100m.

I remember the route from O'Connell Street, up the old Navan Road, the N3 past Blanchardstown, meandering through Corduff to the Damastown Industrial Estate. Every stretch a potential traffic jam.

@30 minutes they say.

Lies

related to the above, possibly filed under the 'for fucks sake' category

for a development that size the surely the council could have tendered and subcontracted themselves, rather than fucking selling at a loss to be gouged again when buying apartments they could have build themselves

kinda emblematic of one of the root causes of at least another decade of housing shortage

What the council has done with The Plough is IMO progress - yeah it would have been way better if they had confiscated the site and built on it themselves, but for whatever reason they don't do that, and this is better than just leaving it derelict forever, like they've done with so many buildings in the north inner city.

BTW - why in the name of fuck did they spend 80 grand on dealing with "a rodent infestation"? Who cares if there's rats in an empty building? Even if you killed them all their cousins would be moved back in within a week of the massacre

What the council has done with The Plough is IMO progress - yeah it would have been way better if they had confiscated the site and built on it themselves, but for whatever reason they don't do that, and this is better than just leaving it derelict forever, like they've done with so many buildings in the north inner city.

BTW - why in the name of fuck did they spend 80 grand on dealing with "a rodent infestation"? Who cares if there's rats in an empty building? Even if you killed them all their cousins would be moved back in within a week of the massacre

It'd be better if they had confiscated the site from themselves? How does that work?

I mean if they'd appropriated it (seeing as it was derelict) instead of buying it in the first place

I'd presume value is in the land under the derelict building. Anyhow I don't see how essentially giving a private developer €380,000 is progress. While building public housing on the site would be progress imo.

I don't like how it's happening, but having city centre land in use is way better than it being derelict.

Would you say the same if they build another hotel on this plot of land? I think at this stage as much as I'm against leaving stuff derelict the idea of another hotel or unaffordable apartment block revolts me more.

it's about time the councils were given the power/political support to seize derelict properties; make them safe, and then sell them on the open market. if the original owner has a problem, they get the proceeds of the sale from the council, minus the cost of the works to make them safe, and a €50,000 handling fee for the council.

i used to live near these two - they were derelict when i moved into the area in 2003, and are still derelict AFAIK. local lore had it that they were bought by a garda who had a great idea to knock them to create another entrance into dalymount, but i don't know how that would make sense financially. but when his plan fell through, he just abandoned them

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back