Solar Power? (1 Viewer)

pissypants

So, I bought a house. But the back garden is dark as fuck due to it's low elevation compared to the houses behind it. Little skyline. Essentially a 20ft tall back wall.

I'm looking into getting a proper "solar panel + storage battery" kit to run some lights just to add some pinpoint light to to the complete black void view out my back windows when I go to the fridge to get a beer?

Is that feasible in Ireland? Just to run, say some strings of low power LEDs?

Plan: small solar panel on shed roof, powering a storage battery in shed, that feeds low power LED lights (possibly triggered by smart-switch).

Impossible dream?

Totally feasible and actually pretty simple...google solar panels and SLA batteries solar trickle charging

You could use 12v stuff designed for camper vans for that

panel - charge controller - leisure battery - lights / other things

ive a mate (I think you met actually) that lives off grid in New Zealand has a converted trailer/camper/tiny home and uses a 12/24v system from solar and mains (via an inverter) to power everything. There are limits on stuff like not using some power hungry appliances at the same time but seems to be doing the job for him

One thing I've seen people doing in the 'Shaights was obtaining old Prius batteries, and running charge into them. They aren't that big, and even if they're past their sell by date in terms of car life, they are still decent at holding charge.

Once you have a couple of them, you wire up some class of a controller, and you can run your electrics out of that.

Might be a pain in the ass for this application, but I suppose the idea remains, you have to store the charge somewhere normally.

One thing I've seen people doing in the 'Shaights was obtaining old Prius batteries, and running charge into them. They aren't that big, and even if they're past their sell by date in terms of car life, they are still decent at holding charge.

Once you have a couple of them, you wire up some class of a controller, and you can run your electrics out of that.

Might be a pain in the ass for this application, but I suppose the idea remains, you have to store the charge somewhere normally.

you're dealing with hacking CANBUS code and others when it comes to leaf / Prius / volt batteries / other manufacturers controllers so that's another obstacle.
There are DIY kits /. PCBs that might help the process.

Not only that but you'd need proper wiring looms and a BMS.

im looking at converting an old car to en electric one at some point so have been doing a lot of research

im looking at converting an old car to en electric one at some point
A while back I was thinking that at some point the cool thing to do will be putting electric motors into old clapped out "classic" cars.

You'd be on the bleeding edge Ernesto...

A while back I was thinking that at some point the cool thing to do will be putting electric motors into old clapped out "classic" cars.

You'd be on the bleeding edge Ernesto...

big potential in that industry yeah. Plenty of places currently doing that but it's all
High end Expensive shit.
If we had a decent government there'd be grants and subsidies to electrify old cars that are only being scrapped because of their age/emissions. So much potential. Fuck buying new cars. Retrofit old cars. Like that lad in back to the future 2.
I had actually paid to do an EV Conversion course last year but everything was and still is cancelled broad of stupid COVID

Biggest hurdle i see with the retro electrification is the re-distrubution of weight. Like mine is designed to have most of the weight in the front 3rd. If i drop a motor and some batteries in the front it's likely that there'd stull be 400kg of battery and support structure to place around the car, so speed / acceleration limiting might be a solution.

my combustion engine is somethig like 70kg + transmission + petrol (45L tank - 45kg). Maybe 200kg at most.

I'm very much in favour of it, i just think over the tech side, that's the real concern.

I've had this weird obsession with early 70's Chevy Novas...

You used to be able to pick them up for almost nothing, I thought they looked class. Seemingly they were a notoriously shit car. And they might not be that practical on the roads round here.

Still thought they looked class though. That would be my first pick for electrification.

you're dealing with hacking CANBUS code and others when it comes to leaf / Prius / volt batteries / other manufacturers controllers so that's another obstacle.
There are DIY kits /. PCBs that might help the process.

Not only that but you'd need proper wiring looms and a BMS.

im looking at converting an old car to en electric one at some point so have been doing a lot of research
a second hand 30kwh leaf battery pack is still about 8 grand though isn't it?

here's an actual 24kWh car for not much more though?

30kWh is worth about €6 in electricity - so you'd need to charge and discharge an €8k battery (for free) over 1000 times before you broke even?

here's an actual 24kWh car for not much more though?

30kWh is worth about €6 in electricity - so you'd need to charge and discharge an €8k battery (for free) over 1000 times before you broke even?
i'm talking about a battery from a newer crashed/written off leaf - the battery health would be in considerably better state than a 6 year old 24kwh battery. anyway i think i was actually mixing up of the prices for 40kwh packs, and the prices for a full battery replacement, so ignore me... I think a 2nd hand 24kwh pack would be the guts of 5 grand.

Biggest hurdle i see with the retro electrification is the re-distrubution of weight. Like mine is designed to have most of the weight in the front 3rd. If i drop a motor and some batteries in the front it's likely that there'd stull be 400kg of battery and support structure to place around the car, so speed / acceleration limiting might be a solution.

my combustion engine is somethig like 70kg + transmission + petrol (45L tank - 45kg). Maybe 200kg at most.

I'm very much in favour of it, i just think over the tech side, that's the real concern.

You forgot radiator and exhausts aswell. Electric gear is usually lighter than all the ICE gear it’s replacing, which results in a light car

Yeah the battery costs is still the biggest barrier. Should improve dramatically over next few years. Currently (pun intended), small kits that have 50-100 mile range are affordable and that would suit most people

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back