Amps (1 Viewer)

New amp day. Just picked up a Crate powerblock. 150watts solid state amp. Tiny we thing, should fit into a back pack.

I picked up a Boss Katana 100w with a pedal for a steal last week. I got it to save some space and save my back but a good part of getting this was having some new gear to reignite my interest in playing guitar in 2020.
Yes, I know, the most hyped amp in the world.
So far I've played it for about an hour and it instantly impresses. I've only played it at the .5W setting and even that is loud. Will it stand up to a 3 hr jam or a gig? I don't know yet. I'm impressed with the range of tones from it but it's hard to tell when you're flicking through settings and effects every 30 seconds if it'll be good for whole songs and longer.

So what does everyone have??
My small collection is:
Crate vtx350
Line6 Vetta ii
Crate power block
Joyo Zombie
Hayden Mini Mofo
Harley Benton Thunder 99 power amp

Cab wise:
Old HH 4x12
Old Laney 4x12. No idea what speakers tbh.

Nicking this idea from another forum, Some of the amp lists there are ridiculous. Literal walls of amp heads worth 10's of thousands

Heads:
Harley Benton GA5 (Epiphone Valve Jnr)
HH IC100S
HH Valvesound Bass
Peavey Mace VT
Sound City 120 MK4
Laney VA100
Simms Watts AP200 (not working)
Sound City 200 PA (not working)

Cabs:
Matamp 4x12 Mackenzie/Eminence speakers
No name 2x12 with Mackenzie's
No name 2x12 with Goodman's Audiom
Trace Elliot 1x12 bass cab
Mesa Boogie 1x15 with Eminence Kappa
No name 1x15 with Eminence Kappa LF

2 x Marshall jmp superlead heads 100w ( a 71 and a 72)
Selmer treble & bass 50w head
Marshall origin 50w combo
Fender mustang 50w modelling combo
Yamaha g-5 7w practice amp (spring reverb)
And a smokey

I have no idea what my 4x12 cab is,but it sounds great to me.

2 x Marshall jmp superlead heads 100w ( a 71 and a 72)
Selmer treble & bass 50w head
Marshall origin 50w combo
Fender mustang 50w modelling combo
Yamaha g-5 7w practice amp (spring reverb)
And a smokey

I have no idea what my 4x12 cab is,but it sounds great to me.
I’m back down to one amp and no cabs after some recent buying, decommissioning and selling, @GO got the cab yesterday! (Well one amp in the county at least, my mate has my old valve state in a shed in louth)

and I have an amp wiring question....

ive a tube combo I’d like to be able to use the speaker in for other (as yet un-procured amps). At present it has a speaker out but no speaker in. I plan to solder two jumpers from a new speaker ‘in’ jack mounted on a bracket at the back to the spade connectors for the speaker in the combo.
I see no reason why using this, with the ‘host’amp in the combo off is a bad idea (all considerations of impedance matching and using right wire and cop on obviously taken for granted). Any thoughts @moose ?
ive a slightly wilder idea about an speaker out that wouldn’t mute the main speaker, but that’s on riskier ground I think

I’m back down to one amp and no cabs after some recent buying, decommissioning and selling, @GO got the cab yesterday! (Well one amp in the county at least, my mate has my old valve state in a shed in louth)

and I have an amp wiring question....

ive a tube combo I’d like to be able to use the speaker in for other (as yet un-procured amps). At present it has a speaker out but no speaker in. I plan to solder two jumpers from a new speaker ‘in’ jack mounted on a bracket at the back to the spade connectors for the speaker in the combo.
I see no reason why using this, with the ‘host’amp in the combo off is a bad idea (all considerations of impedance matching and using right wire and cop on obviously taken for granted). Any thoughts @moose ?
ive a slightly wilder idea about an speaker out that wouldn’t mute the main speaker, but that’s on riskier ground I think
Sounds grand to me. Done both a few times.

Marshall JCM 900 100W Head
Marshall 4x12 cab
Marshall 2x12 cab (JCM 900 Lead 1936)
Orange micro dark 20W head
Boss Katana 100w 1x12 combo
Marshall MS-2C - Black
Marshall MS-2C - Red
Sound City 50w combo (aka, the amp that will not die)

I just have a banjaxed old Warwick head and 4x10 and 1x15 cabs, and the whole rig is a massive pain in the hole to haul around, and just barely loud enough ... and I wonder - is there any point in amps anymore? If I was gonna replace this would I be best off getting something like a kemper with a PA speaker. I know kempers are mad dear, but just talking in principle like

(this is for bass, mind)

I just have a banjaxed old Warwick head and 4x10 and 1x15 cabs, and the whole rig is a massive pain in the hole to haul around, and just barely loud enough ... and I wonder - is there any point in amps anymore? If I was gonna replace this would I be best off getting something like a kemper with a PA speaker. I know kempers are mad dear, but just talking in principle like

(this is for bass, mind)

Personally I never much liked those Warwick heads but the cabs are grand. Depending on model I'd consider a bass pre in pedal format running into the effects return on your head, bypassing the preamp section of the head. Unless you need the sound of multiple amps per set I don't see a need for Kemper and such given the price.

Harley Benton 5watt amp running into johnnyrazs old 10" cab...or Subzero 10" cab.
Laney LC 30
Roland microcube.

(this is for bass, mind)

+1 to the pre-amp through effects. My last few years on bass i pretty much gave up on amps and went DI and soundmans choice in venue's with a sound engineer, or pre-amp into anything. granted my bass was active and effectively was really well pre-amped from the get go.
Everytime i brought no amp and just told the sound engineer to do what they wanted with it i was told my bass sounded amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back