Thread for upcoming reissues of interest (2 Viewers)

Cheers - I never heard of DISATTACK... this was recorded in April '86.
sounds like a cross between ANTI CIMEX and early SACRILEGE to my ears - really good.

Are Dinosaur Jr shoegaze? Mogwai? Spacemen 3? Explosions in the Sky?

Or am I just thinking of bands that literally stare at their feet, turn away from the audience, kneel into monitors etc?

Are Dinosaur Jr shoegaze? Mogwai? Spacemen 3? Explosions in the Sky?

Or am I just thinking of bands that literally stare at their feet, turn away from the audience, kneel into monitors etc?
They're all terrible bands. Well ok Dinosaur Jr are NOT BAD.

Are Cocteau Twins shoegaze? I suppose I like them.
Altered Hours have some shoegaze vibes going on and they're great.
I have put myself in an untenable position but I need to see if I can make this work.

It's more music journalist nonsense, innit.

Refers more to the fashion, and the anti-show, long hair in your face playing loud, reverb heavy rock. And some of it may be seminal. Create a ridiculous term based around a few arbitrary signifiers, some visual, some sonic.

I suppose the same British journos wanted to offset the more "cerebral", "ethereal" British psychedelic rock sounds made by nicely spoken, well-educated middle class kids as opposed to the more "meathead" noise rock [and grunge] made by their American counterparts. I felt like there was always this bizarre xenophobic thing going on with the NME in the mid to late 90s. Misguided, and needlessly divisive.

Honestly, I fucking wish that kind of music journalism nonsense still existed. Inventing a genre and forcing a scene into existence is often a hell of a lot more creative than the latest lads messing with pedals and ripping off Bowie. And nothing funnier than some shithead rockstar who sells out stadiums moaning that the pale unhappy music journalist won't also give them 9/10 reviews in their failing magazine.

The music world is much worse off for it nowadays where everyone is a poptimist and the latest Dua Lipa written-by-committee album gets perfect reviews across the board as well as blanket coverage on all streaming services.

Ah, it's a bit of craic when you're a teenager, and seems important from said viewpoint.

Spent a large chunk of February skimming and sometimes perusing old NMEs from 97 to 99. Bit of a chortle, I suppose. The dreck they bigged up... something sort of empty, and despairing about trying to cobble a few indie bands into whatever pigeon's hole you're squawking out of this week. A lot of the mud slinging just seems mindlessly bitter too. But then some of the writing is quite funny too. I think it's grand from a teenage perspective.

It's just that fatiguing cycle of forcing some new fashion, primarily ocular, you can see better in hindsight. "What empty, unimaginative indie shite are we trying to foist on folks, and how can we repackage it to them?" You could view it as creative journalism, I suppose, or something more cynical - like trying to fabric solid stool out of mere farts - "this'll keep us going for a few weeks, lads." Zero actual enthusiasm for something.

I dunno. Maybe you're right. View as a bit of craic.

I had to look up Poptimism

Poptimism (or popism) is the belief that pop music is as worthy of professional critique and interest as rock music. Detractors of poptimism describe it as a counterpart of rockism that unfairly privileges the most famous or best-selling pop, hip-hop, and R&B acts.

Band of Susans over MBV and Sonic Youth any day of the week, and 'til I'm old and grey and wearing out the bedpan.

I sometimes think Band of Susans sound like Mbv and then when I hear Mbv i think they are pretty different.

I wouldnt consider Dinosaur Jr shoegaze either,dunno about Spacemen 3 ,were they not before shoegaze? Although im not really super familiar with shoegaze as a genre.

Ah, it's a bit of craic when you're a teenager, and seems important from said viewpoint.

Spent a large chunk of February skimming and sometimes perusing old NMEs from 97 to 99. Bit of a chortle, I suppose. The dreck they bigged up... something sort of empty, and despairing about trying to cobble a few indie bands into whatever pigeon's hole you're squawking out of this week. A lot of the mud slinging just seems mindlessly bitter too. But then some of the writing is quite funny too. I think it's grand from a teenage perspective.

It's just that fatiguing cycle of forcing some new fashion, primarily ocular, you can see better in hindsight. "What empty, unimaginative indie shite are we trying to foist on folks, and how can we repackage it to them?" You could view it as creative journalism, I suppose, or something more cynical - like trying to fabric solid stool out of mere farts - "this'll keep us going for a few weeks, lads." Zero actual enthusiasm for something.

I dunno. Maybe you're right. View as a bit of craic.
I don't even disagree tbh

If I'm being honest, while I always considered myself a music nerd, if I think about it I've probably always been more about the stories and scenes than the sonics (I do like The Sonics though). People falling out, people discovering sounds, people falling in love... that's what i'm into music for, not the actual experience of listening to variations of white noise.

i remember shoegaze getting applied to ride, slowdive, chapterhouse and a few others by the music press around the time those particular bands first appeared (around 90/91 i think). they were basically slagging these bands off iirc. these days, the term has been retroactively applied to a lot of bands like my bloody valentine for example. i find it odd that people are into shoegaze. would be like saying you're into hair metal

Spacemen 3 is pure drug music, they only reason they’d be staring at their shoes is if the shoes were talking to them. In Spanish.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back