The Thumped Motoring Forum (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 86K
  • Watchers 10
On these cold mornings I find my brakes get frozen to the point I can't drive the van (Renault Kangoo)

Is this normal?

I tried gently forcing it back and forwards and now I think the handbrake feels "off"

Any tips (apart from buying a different vehicle) ?

On these cold mornings I find my brakes get frozen to the point I can't drive the van (Renault Kangoo)

Is this normal?

I tried gently forcing it back and forwards and now I think the handbrake feels "off"

I know fuck all about cars, but... I think the hand brake has some metal mechanical business and possibly a cable between itself and the brake cylinders / lines, and this can get rusted and stiff.

As in, if it's only your handbrake, it might be whatever mechanism does the ratchety / release / lever thing, and not the brakes themselves.

Although brake calipers can seize too. On bikes you can look in and see the pads moving. If you jack the car up, and have someone brake and let go and the wheel remains locked it's probably seizing at the caliper. It's fairly simple to service calipers, they run along sort of pin/bar things which can get rough. Sometimes just pulling the pads off, making sure there's no crap built up and putting it back together will make things ok if that's where it's sticky.

This 'cone of vision' thing doing the rounds on twitter today - thought it was interesting and putting it here so I can find it again.

View attachment 14592

If / when I get hit by a car next I'd say it'll be to do with them looking at their phone.

Dunno what the story in Ireland is, but out here people space out on phones all the time. I'd almost prefer an aggressive asshole driver because he's probably at least looking through the windscreen of the car.

Although the SUV the clipped me last week was one of those squeeling tyres swerving through traffic types. He just clipped me though. People on phones will only realise they've hit you when they hear the impact.

If / when I get hit by a car next I'd say it'll be to do with them looking at their phone.

Dunno what the story in Ireland is, but out here people space out on phones all the time. I'd almost prefer an aggressive asshole driver because he's probably at least looking through the windscreen of the car.

Although the SUV the clipped me last week was one of those squeeling tyres swerving through traffic types. He just clipped me though. People on phones will only realise they've hit you when they hear the impact.

You'd hope though if this picture is on twitter they'll have set the cruise control to a lower speed while they run you over.

Epidemic of phone use while driving here. should try get a vaccination for that

Is this normal?

The brakes had felt "sticky" on occasion this last whole. Just as I would be about to pull out it felt like the calipers didn't want to let go.

I dropped by the mechanic the other day to talk about it and made an appointment to leave it in this morning.

The thing wouldn't budge this morning. Smoke coming off the disc brakes as I tried to force it to move.

I let it cool down and eventually got it going long enough to get to the mechanic.

Hopefully it's an easy enough (and relatively inexpensive ) fix.

The brakes had felt "sticky" on occasion this last whole. Just as I would be about to pull out it felt like the calipers didn't want to let go.

I dropped by the mechanic the other day to talk about it and made an appointment to leave it in this morning.

The thing wouldn't budge this morning. Smoke coming off the disc brakes as I tried to force it to move.

I let it cool down and eventually got it going long enough to get to the mechanic.

Hopefully it's an easy enough (and relatively inexpensive ) fix.

€200 I'm going to guess

Renault Kangoos are cheap to run and cheap to fix..I'd get another one

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back