General election 2020 (6 Viewers)

In fairness to citizen's assemblies - it was one of those that made repealing the 8th possible. None of the political parties had the balls to touch it
Absolutely true, they also didn't follow the advice of it though. That's always bugged me.

I'm not really against them as such, but what a pity our political/media system is in such a state that no one trusts anyone at any level to the point where they have to put these together to get some idea of what people might think about any issue. It was at least funny to see all the pro-life people storming out in a huff every second day.

what a pity our political/media system is in such a state that no one trusts anyone at any level to the point where they have to put these together to get some idea of what people might think about any issue
I actually think citizen's assemblies are better than politicians keeping their ear to the ground, or whatever it is they normally do to judge what The People are thinking. It gets around the whole squeaky-wheel-gets-the-most-oil thing

I actually think citizen's assemblies are better than politicians keeping their ear to the ground, or whatever it is they normally do to judge what The People are thinking. It gets around the whole squeaky-wheel-gets-the-most-oil thing
I probably do as well, but I see that as a sign of deep, deep failure and mistrust in our entire political system, not something i'm happy about.

Erm ... so good things depress you just as much as bad things?
I mistrust my feelings I suppose.

People fought for democracy, and it took a long, long time. Now we're saying we don't trust democracy and the solution is to go around it with and paper over the cracks with something else. I'd rather fix the issue as to why we apparently don't trust democracy.

The argument for Citizens Assemblies is kind of one that democracy should be "pure" and, well, non-political; it's just people making arguments in a room and the "best" argument wins. It's pretending that politics isn't always a fight between different groups for and about power.

I'm no expert in all this though.

I'm not really against them as such, but what a pity our political/media system is in such a state that no one trusts anyone at any level to the point where they have to put these together to get some idea of what people might think about any issue. It was at least funny to see all the pro-life people storming out in a huff every second day.
I kinda like that they put opinions on trial - like believing something is one thing, putting your shitty opinion up for debate with people who think you are an idiot and going on record to do it, that isn't something that happens normally. I agree with you that they should be more legally binding.

Ah I know, I just wanted to say something snarky about our usual methods of kicking the can down the road. I use you as my white paper reader in most of these things as I can't be bothered so it's in my interests that you find this!
Half reading the DP paper this evening.

New system is

6 big centres state run* with a target of 4 months max stay - own door accomodation.

after this each county is to agree a number (3500 is national total expected people seeking political asylum) of people to take in.

urban renewal is mentioned a lot. I think the deal here is that urban landlords are going to get state money to fix up places for the new scheme - it doesn't say this, it just says everythign around it.

contractors currently living the dream off the current system are going to have accept that they have 4 months to squeeze out of each person - DP crappy dole is to continue for the 4 months, then post 4 months crappy new DP dole for urban living kicks in.

I skimmed the first 100 pages of 177, i might not read the rest for a few days.

urban renewal is mentioned a lot. I think the deal here is that urban landlords are going to get state money to fix up places for the new scheme - it doesn't say this, it just says everythign around it.
I'm sure that will be the case, but at the same time isn't it going to happen anyway? I mean assuming that people granted asylum through the system will end up in rented accommodation paid for through HAP kind of thing. Just another reason to give free money directly from the state to private landlords.

I'm sure that will be the case, but at the same time isn't it going to happen anyway? I mean assuming that people granted asylum through the system will end up in rented accommodation paid for through HAP kind of thing. Just another reason to give free money directly from the state to private landlords.

The arrangmnts seem a bit more formal, as do the construction bits. I only scan read the first half though. like 30-70 on urban renewal - here's page 94, you can just download it and read it like, its public.
cost.png

she obviously put a few noses out of joint. she was supported by the GP second in command, catherine martin, but ryan has announced he won't vote for her.

i'd have wondered if she had ambitions higher than the seanad, but maybe she wants something where she won't get as much abuse.

She could run as a GP TD at a later date after being a member of the seaned or even indeed as an independent or member of another party. I suppose considering her partner is already a green TD she might has a good idea of what that entails.

She could possibly run the old Letterkenny trick and run as an independent green.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back