Deadly classical music thread (1 Viewer)

Can't get youtube in work but there's some lovely stuff on there of Jacqueline du Pré doing Bach cello suites. Highly recommended.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This video is class, good old ORTF, quality recording. Watching Kempf here can be quite amusing, it really feels like he doesn't notice he's in a studio at all and is just playing like he's in his gaff and got a bit bored

i got into it from listening to alice coltrane's eternity album. i was really surprised when i heard the stravinsky piece itself - i hadn't realised she was performing a section of it on the album

'Central Park in the Dark' - Charles Ives.

i got into it from listening to alice coltrane's eternity album. i was really surprised when i heard the stravinsky piece itself - i hadn't realised she was performing a section of it on the album
Stravinsky was big with the jazz crew and there’s an amazing story about Charlie Parker and Stravinsky:

I'm not surprised really. Rite of Spring in my head is what Ellington or electric era Miles were to their times.

this thread reminds me that the first four years I had broadband (2008-12) I devoured my way through every music genre I could think of. but after that I didn't keep it going as much as I should have.
I try to listen to as much of the music posted on thumped as I can - a lot of this I don't last 30 seconds on. this thread is cool though. got quite a lot of good suggestions across thumped today actually.

Olivier Latry playing Messiaen:

Might have posted this before, not bothering to check, but here's an amazing organ recording. Also this piece was used a few years ago as the soundtrack basis in a really gothic western, Brimstone, where Guy Pearce is totally amazing as the bad guy, worth a watch.

It’s hard to beat a good Requiem - I’ve been playing Cherubini’s a lot lately:

It’s hard to beat a good Requiem - I’ve been playing Cherubini’s a lot lately:

Everything about this. but especially these vocalists. amazing

Last edited:
Stravinsky was big with the jazz crew and there’s an amazing story about Charlie Parker and Stravinsky:
That's a great story, never heard it before.

I have really gotten into this over the last few years...I heard it many times growing up, and was never into it. It clicked recently, in a big way

Edit: Helps having the best orchestra in the world playing it...superhuman

A great performance of Lully's Armide Passacaglia. It's the best bit of this opera, the scene is about the hero Renaud being held in the sorceress' garden and shown magical diversions so that he won't want to leave. There are better performances of this to be found, but this one is pretty great for the setting, looks like in the garden of some Chateau as evening falls, pretty perfect. Also it's good to hear the orchestra just about holding it together in some of the instrumental passages, rather than sounding utterly perfect for the whole thing, gives it all a sense of spirit.

Interestingly, there's a Henry Purcell piece 'written' just a few years later, a passacaglia in his King Arthur opera (think it's 'How Happy The Lovers' piece), that surely must have been based on the Armide Passacaglia. I mean, Purcell was great at this style and sure maybe he just wrote this himself and stylistic constraints mean it sounds so similar, but I'd still say that's bollocks, surely there's no way he hadn't heard or at least seen the music for Armide before he wrote the King Arthur piece. A good example of transmission of baroque music styles between different countries I would think.

That's a great story, never heard it before.

I have really gotten into this over the last few years...I heard it many times growing up, and was never into it. It clicked recently, in a big way

Edit: Helps having the best orchestra in the world playing it...superhuman

P.S Von Karajan was a nazi, pretty much

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back