2021 albums worth a listen.... (2 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Solo piano. One for modern classical heads. Half the album available to listen. 20 quid for a digital only release.

Don't know why it says jazz piano, definitely fits more of a classical billing.

'Spoor' by Music for Dogs. Duo who combine wind instrumentation with electronic. Electro-accoustic, I guess.

heard these guys on Tom Ravenscroft on bbc 6. Very good shit-gazey, barnstorming, ultra lo-fi, bit of a Brainiac bang in places, hook-laden indie rock. Skills to pay the bills but would rather hang out of Christian Slater's slack pants. Pay what you like on the bandcamp...

heard these guys on Tom Ravenscroft on bbc 6. Very good shit-gazey, barnstorming, ultra lo-fi, bit of a Brainiac bang in places, hook-laden indie rock. Skills to pay the bills but would rather hang out of Christian Slater's slack pants. Pay what you like on the bandcamp...

really good. sounds like members of TWINKEYZ, CHROME, PYLON and SWELL MAPS formed a band in 1979.
Cheers I just got a copy.

really good. sounds like members of TWINKEYZ, CHROME, PYLON and SWELL MAPS formed a band in 1979.
Cheers I just got a copy.

Did you buy a physical copy? I'm afraid to buy stuff from the U.S. See below.

Yo, you could be on the money with that Chrome reference [check the band font too]. Jeez, haven't listened to them in years. It's that robotic new wave, post-punk feel yeah almost cut-up, overloaded collage/rayguns firing here-and-there feel to some of it.

Re: Pylon, see what you mean, the guitar tone on some of the tracks. I only discovered them recently. Hope Spindizzy get the reissues back in - spent a solid week over Christmas listening to them. I saw Henry Owings [Chunklet head honcho] lost a hat of money giving out refunds for stuff not delivered around Christmas. He was out 2,000 dollars.

Never heard Twinkeyz. Will check. Cheers.

yep - decided to order the LP as they only had 8 left BUT it probably makes more sense to wait and see if folks in Europe stock it in a few weeks time. spur of the moment decision, maybe I shoulda done some research on the current state of postal system first!

I've only ordered one other thing in the last nearly two months -
two CD's from Spain were sent out four weeks ago on Monday next and nothing has arrived yet.
so I'm sure ordering anything will be very slow at the moment.

the TWINKEYZ were a late 70's band from Sacramento influenced by UV and power pop but they used electronic gear which (a small bit like Metal Urbain) gave them a weird edge but the definitely sound American.

PYLON's first two albums were reissued in the 2000's by DFA on CD. so I got Gyrate then.

Like the above, NOT STRICTLY NEW, but a new anthology.

Stumbled across this in my bandcamp wanderings. If you're thinking, "fuck this February bullshit not even a proper month the weather's fucked Eastenders is the best thing in my life is there any point anymore at all?" this might put some pep in your step when you're munching on your morning cornflakes.

From the blurb:

"Four tracks by one of the biggest names in South African disco: Condry Ziqubu. A regular on the local soul scene since the late 1960s in groups such as The Flaming Souls, The Anchors and The Flaming Ghettoes, by the mid-80s he had qualified as a sangoma (traditional healer), recorded with Harari (the biggest group in the country at the time), fronted his own group Lumumba, and travelled the world as part of Caiphus Semenya and Letta Mbulu’s band.

In 1986 he ditched Lumumba and released his first solo hit, ‘Gorilla Man’. Opening with an audacious 20-second intro, the song tells the story of a man preying on women in downtown Johannesburg. It highlights Condry’s winning formula of lyrics that touch on everyday South African issues and places (without drawing the attention of apartheid censors). Musically the song draws obvious influence from Piano Fantasia’s 1985 Euro-disco hit ‘Song for Denise’."

All the tracks are from the 80s originally. So not new, but new old.

Last edited:

Like the above, NOT STRICTLY NEW, but a new anthology.

Stumbled across this in my bandcamp wanderings. If you're thinking, "fuck this February bullshit not even a proper month the weather's fucked Eastenders is the best thing in my life is there any point anymore at all?" this might put some pep in your step when you're munching on your morning cornflakes.

From the blurb:

"Four tracks by one of the biggest names in South African disco: Condry Ziqubu. A regular on the local soul scene since the late 1960s in groups such as The Flaming Souls, The Anchors and The Flaming Ghettoes, by the mid-80s he had qualified as a sangoma (traditional healer), recorded with Harari (the biggest group in the country at the time), fronted his own group Lumumba, and travelled the world as part of Caiphus Semenya and Letta Mbulu’s band.

In 1986 he ditched Lumumba and released his first solo hit, ‘Gorilla Man’. Opening with an audacious 20-second intro, the song tells the story of a man preying on women in downtown Johannesburg. It highlights Condry’s winning formula of lyrics that touch on everyday South African issues and places (without drawing the attention of apartheid censors). Musically the song draws obvious influence from Piano Fantasia’s 1985 Euro-disco hit ‘Song for Denise’."

All the tracks are from the 80s originally. So not new, but new old.

Lovely stuff. There's been a real glut of reissues of 80s South African disco/club music over the last couple of years, the quality is usual fairly consistent but this one is real nice...

This is quite good [on first listen]. That 'Moon Turns Tide' song is a keeper for sure - frazzled, entrapped saxophones are always very pleasing. New to me. 'Daring and true pop' apparently. Be interesting to here what Lili Marlene makes of it.

Very busy, rich.

I heard a track on Shaun Keveaney [typical BBC everyman blokely bloke like Mark Chapman] today whilst sweeping the floor. The track didn't particularly grab me - pleasing as it was, I wasn't fully awake to be honest - but he mentioned Fire Records so I wrote the name down.

Might be one for fans of Broadcast et al.

this arrived this morning. I ordered it on a Saturday night and it was sent out the next Monday through Pitney Bowes from Richmond, Virginia. So it only took ten days.

unfortunately the hi-fi speaker cables I ordered in January still haven't arrived so I can't listen to it.

in other news - two CD's I ordered from Barcelona arrived on Tuesday, having been mailed
five weeks and one day earlier. there must not be many planes coming from there these days.

This is quite good [on first listen]. That 'Moon Turns Tide' song is a keeper for sure - frazzled, entrapped saxophones are always very pleasing. New to me. 'Daring and true pop' apparently. Be interesting to here what Lili Marlene makes of it.

Very busy, rich.

I heard a track on Shaun Keveaney [typical BBC everyman blokely bloke like Mark Chapman] today whilst sweeping the floor. The track didn't particularly grab me - pleasing as it was, I wasn't fully awake to be honest - but he mentioned Fire Records so I wrote the name down.

Might be one for fans of Broadcast et al.

Gave it a listen there. Eh, not bad. I like the song you like and St. Francis Fountain a lot, and one or two others a fair bit, it's all a bit Sharkey's Day isn't it? My complaint would be that I spent too long playing spot the influence instead of being engrossed in the music, not a great sign.

If your question is would I consider it "true pop," i'd probably spend more time questioning what on earth that term is supposed to mean than I would asking whether or not it applies here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back