Your work situation (3 Viewers)

i'm fine - decent boss, job is stimulating enough without being too much stress, and if they make me redundant, i get about two years pay; so i'm whatever the converse of 'damned if i do, damned if i don't' is.

i'd probably be on significantly more if i had hopped around jobs, but having seen other people go through shit at work, i'm opting for my job and lower pay (not that i'm poor, at all).

On the work slack channel today

A friendly reminder, especially this week as many of us are attending XXX and expressing excitement about accomplishments: please avoid saying that things are "crazy" or "insane." Some alternatives include: overwhelming, impressive, outstanding, unbelievable, extraordinary, heartbreaking (feel free to add more in the thread).

edit: on the thread there's a suggestion to say "spitballing" instead of "brainstorming" ... erm ... l don't think an actual storm in an actual brain is an actual thing, is it?

I'd just ban direct communications between employees and have all messages relayed through a third-party call center in the far east where the staff have a handy reference chart for translating potentially damaging comments into something safe and supportive.

FWIW I looked up "brainstorming" and it looks like the word was coined by the guy who invented it as an idea-generation technique. I also found some stuff on a forum where people with epilepsy are saying "should we be offended by the term brainstorming?" and the consensus seems to be "we should in our hole"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'd say it's just an overcorrection that'll right itself soon enough.

Either that or we'll be the ones wondering why it's not ok to say the N-word anymore.

Depressing message from a colleague today:

"Trying to get everything done this morning so I can take sick leave
I'm living the dream"

I'm a bit offended by spitballing.

I get images of BIC biros with the ink thing removed, chewing up bits of paper out of your copy book, rolling it into a little pellet, and sniping the kids sitting at the big table across the class.

I can see how you would, but would you?
Me? No. But the thing about people with severe mental health issues is that they're acutely aware that they're always being judged and marginalised for having those issues. So using terms like crazy or insane for an offhand comment could be upsetting. I mean, I don't know if it's up there with calling things "retarded" but it could well be to some people.

if it's up there with calling things "retarded".
Retarded, and moron are both words that were official terms for special needs at points but because people are such a bag of dicks they morphed them into insults over time so new terminology keeps having to be invented to seperate the language being used professionally from the language being used at large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back