Interesting Buildings (1 Viewer)

60227557_1109304795860303_5520759595162664960_n.jpg
60149585_1109304835860299_9162587632457220096_n.jpg

Lybian city formerly know as Heliopolis
It will be nice when it's finished

I hate that 'ceramic box with a window' shit, just boring steel and glass crap. Do something fuckin interesting at least.

It's interesting when in designland we have more computing power than ever in the history of mankind that somehow architects are landing on boxy steel and glass every time.

It's kinda like they've set the faders to 'budget/profit' rather than 'lasting landmark thing'.

It's interesting when in designland we have more computing power than ever in the history of mankind that somehow architects are landing on boxy steel and glass every time.

It's kinda like they've set the faders to 'budget/profit' rather than 'lasting landmark thing'.
Commercial architects work to a brief which is usually "maximise and enhance the value of my asset." Design can be a tertiary concern.

Exactly, they could at least try and add a terrace here, a bay there, even a fucking slope or too, but na, here look I designed you a fucking square.

I like this.

Man. Does everyone else think this looks manky? This looks nice to my eyes.

I think they did a decent job of sort of aligning the new stuff to what's there.

I like it. It's like something designed by Gerry Anderson
I don't really object to the little hat they've put on the original building, with the step back and the change of materials it's differentiated enough. Although, I do think the old building is more horizontal stripes and the new bit is all vertical stripes, and that's going to look worse again at night when it's lit from inside.

Exactly, they could at least try and add a terrace here, a bay there, even a fucking slope or too, but na, here look I designed you a fucking square.

While it is undeniably a profit thing, all my tradespeople mates would say the skills aren't there any more. It must be hard to justify the cost and effort of finding proper engineers and carpenters etc. to come in for the sake of a few flourishes. They're not only expensive, they also slow the whole project down doing their fancy skilled stuff.

That's a slightly muddled point, I hope you get the gist.

YOU'RE A BRUTAL MONSTER!!

But actually I don't think it would be that hard to find architects that will make a decent looking design that won't be overly difficult to put together and not just be a fucking square. It's not like there's an architect shortage around the world is it? The problem is that these designs are purely based on profit, and there's no fucks given to how it actually looks from the outside, or fits in with surrounding buildings. Remember, the piece of shit pictured above lies at the end of a fucking Georgian street, with really nice terraced Georgian housing going back over a century (presumably, I mean that's the style of that street anyway). The Hendron building doesn't fit in with that in the first place, but 'revamping' it could at least serve a useful purpose to help integrate it into that community in some way, instead of just being a fuckin box with students paying a fortune to live in it.

One of the big issues here is that functionality is not really based on 'buildability', but has to take into account actual aesthetic, position within the community, amongst other things. People don't want to have to look at the same eyesore every day for the next 50 years.
That's EXACTLY the stuff that Ireland has been fucking up for decades, whilst other places get it right. It's literally one of the main reasons our property development strategy is a total fucking shambles, it's the reason you end up with horrible estates where nobody wants to go (plenty of other places fucked that up in the 20th century too but generally started trying to actually take care of their shit sometime around the 90s, ya know, THIRTY YEARS ago). "Oh it might not be perfect, but we could build it and it works, you can live in it" - no, it doesn't work if everybody in the area thinks it's fucking shit and hates it. And the thing is, guess what, if you're building some big development and you just include some proper community oriented spaces in it, then hey, it doesn't have to look totally amazing, suddenly there's actually a bit of give and take.

Anyway as an example I give you Smithfield, torn down and rebuilt from the ground up, with promises of public libraries, etc etc, then all the good shit shelved and now the square itself is just a soulless tourist trap for migrant workers and students to live in. The only good thing in the place is the Lighthouse, aside from that the things that actually make the area anyway decent are ALL on the streets and roads outside the square, the square itself is just an open air fuck all. Even a decent playground there for kids? Na, but hey, fuck all families live there so problem solved.

Ha, I'm not a brutal monster. I agree with you. I think I was adding to the general point that lots of people were making that "boring blocks are shit in many ways", and "planning decisions are often awful", to which I wholeheartedly agree.

There is no shortage of architects or computing power. There is a shortage of skilled builders, because that hasn't been valued as it should be for decades now. I know that's not the main reason for shit buildings by a long way, but I think it's important and it'll take a long time to fix, assuming anyone is bothered to fix it.

Ha, I'm not a brutal monster. I agree with you. I think I was adding to the general point that lots of people were making that "boring blocks are shit in many ways", and "planning decisions are often awful", to which I wholeheartedly agree.

There is no shortage of architects or computing power. There is a shortage of skilled builders, because that hasn't been valued as it should be for decades now. I know that's not the main reason for shit buildings by a long way, but I think it's important and it'll take a long time to fix, assuming anyone is bothered to fix it.
Ironically Ireland has a glut of architectural talent at the moment including some firms recognized to be among the best in the world (look up Grafton Architects, O'Donnell Tuomey and Heneghan Peng, to name a few).. they are woefully under utilized in Dublin city centre unfortunately and seem to get the majority of their opportunities outside Ireland, most of the big commercial stuff in Dublin is done by the same handful of big firms with established links to the major developers and they very much play it safe.

Ironically Ireland has a glut of architectural talent at the moment including some firms recognized to be among the best in the world (look up Grafton Architects, O'Donnell Tuomey and Heneghan Peng, to name a few).. they are woefully under utilized in Dublin city centre unfortunately and seem to get the majority of their opportunities outside Ireland, most of the big commercial stuff in Dublin is done by the same handful of big firms with established links to the major developers and they very much play it safe.

and this crew up above in the forgotten county.

Probably mentioned already but the GAS building is probably my favourite building in Dublin, probably.

Is that the Art Deco kind of one on D'Olier street? It's great
Yes

But also has the Edwardian bit down the lane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back