Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (10 Viewers)

A thing I've noticed a few "informed sceptics" say lately is "what do you mean the vaccine doesn't prevent transmission?! Ridiculous!"

I don't even know where to start with that sort of nonsense. Like, if you piss on your hand, and wipe it on the wall, what's on the wall? Your piss. Might not make you sick, but it'll make someone else ill.

what?
pubs and retail reopened dec 1st (see graph at link), from the 14th numbers began to climb significantly.

oh yeah, I meant pubs not acting as restaurants. Only that shite with a meal thing was in order.

And I recall very few cases being attributed to pubs and restaurants in some analysis that was done near xmas. Maybe that was bollox though

In fairness - any effective vaccine will make you much less likely to infect anyone, because you won't be producing infectious material inside your own body. The whole "doesn't prevent transmission" thing is a pointless argument about the true definition of words

Interesting and yes that does make sense to me. I obviously ain't no science doctor or nothing. But the general point with these people is that they want to go hug their friends in the pub again. We're nowhere near being able to do that. So they're just saying the whole vaccine thing is wrong. From there, it seems to me that it's a small jump to conspiracy theories etc. Basically they're daft.

oh yeah, I meant pubs not acting as restaurants. Only that shite with a meal thing was in order.

And I recall very few cases being attributed to pubs and restaurants in some analysis that was done near xmas. Maybe that was bollox though

I think a lot of that is down to the way they've logged and tracked cases. My understanding, I could be wrong, is that If you catch it they're more concerned with who you might have been in contact and given it to than where you got it.

So if you've been in a pub and caught it, and a few days later you start to feel sick they try to log and trace your contacts. The people you live with, if they catch it they're close contacts. Same with anyone you might be working with who has caught it. If you went to the pub again the night before you started to feel unwell and the people you met got it they're a close contact, but also one of those "rare" pub transmissions.

You, who have also caught it in a pub are classed as a community transmission as they can't verify where you caught it, and are not especially interested in knowing either (compared to finding out who you may have given it to)

I think a lot of that is down to the way they've logged and tracked cases. My understanding, I could be wrong, is that If you catch it they're more concerned with who you might have been in contact and given it to than where you got it.

So if you've been in a pub and caught it, and a few days later you start to feel sick they try to log and trace your contacts. The people you live with, if they catch it they're close contacts. Same with anyone you might be working with who has caught it. If you went to the pub again the night before you started to feel unwell and the people you met got it they're a close contact, but also one of those "rare" pub transmissions.

You, who have also caught it in a pub are classed as a community transmission as they can't verify where you caught it, and are not especially interested in knowing either (compared to finding out who you may have given it to)
you'd think they'd nearly be better off not going into that kind of detail then cos there will always be some cantankerous bollox who will dispute it to suit whatever their argument is.

But its not an exact science either. Like that case they blame on foreign travel because some lad who went abroad went out partying when he came back and infected over 50 people. What was the source attributed to here? Why, foreign travel of course, even though the bollox should have been confined to his gaff while he was out infecting everyone.

I've been wondering if there's a genie out of the bottle effect that kicks in once numbers go above a certain level.

As in, even if you lock down very hard and get the r value to go <1, the total number of cases loitering around are so high it makes it ~impossible to get back to the low levels Ireland had before Christmas for example.

Like, is there a tipping point when n gets high enough where even if r is controlled the reservoir is so big that r as not going to go much below 1, and there's going to be this long dragging infection rate.

I went rummaging for Ireland stats. It doesn't project very well again. Sigh.

Some argument over the shortfall of vaccines from AZ and the implication that they have gone astray !

you'd think they'd nearly be better off not going into that kind of detail then cos there will always be some cantankerous bollox who will dispute it to suit whatever their argument is.

But its not an exact science either. Like that case they blame on foreign travel because some lad who went abroad went out partying when he came back and infected over 50 people. What was the source attributed to here? Why, foreign travel of course, even though the bollox should have been confined to his gaff while he was out infecting everyone.

I did see few people on facebook giving out about how it was a disgrace that the pubs were all shut when anyone could fly in from any part of the world unchecked. Which is a fair point but it's kind of unfortunate that they were the exact same pricks that kept saying "we have to look after our own" during the peak of the refugee crisis. And also kept saying "All lives matter" summer of last year.
Which led me to the suspicion that their issue wasn't really covid but the fordiners.

I don't think it's people flying here that are the problem at present tbh.
Give it a couple of weeks.

I'll be bringing Covid extra strenght enterprise edition, plus lizards which will presumably have Lizard Covid.

Suffices to say if there were any snakes in Ireland before these girls arrive, there'd be none once my son's lizards start passing on THE VIRUS.

I don't think it's people flying here that are the problem at present tbh.
It's part of the bigger picture is all. Like if you could magically stop all community transmission tomorrow, but you don't do anything to screen flights in any way, then you'll still have cases popping up around the country from people arriving with it on planes. So a proper strategy to get rid of this shit has to incorporate flight screening in some manner.
Look at New Zealand, they're dealing with their first case of it in months right now, and it seems to have been brought back by a woman that was travelling in Europe (although apparently she did do the 2 week quarantine and tested negative so they're a bit puzzled alright – but couldn't it have survived that long on a piece of clothing in her suitcase or something like that)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back