People Who Died (9 Viewers)

RIP Sylain.

A sad day for guitar lovers everywhere. I've done some amount of air guitaring to this mans records over the years.

He single-handedly changed the sound of pop music. I don't know if he was a genius but he had a sound in his head and he made it happen, which is something.

He once gave Ronnie Spector children as a Christmas present. And i mean literally, "Merry Christmas I've adopted two children, you have to take care of them now".

Last edited:
I've no idea how society can reconcile something like that. Like he killed one woman and basically imprisoned at least one other. The cops shoulda been called but i suspect there was money and power involved and everyone stood by until it cost someone their life. I don't see 'Let it be' being withdrawn over that though? We don't get to have one without the other. A rough read on him is that his mind was never capable of dealing with drugs or women.

I've no idea how society can reconcile something like that. Like he killed one woman and basically imprisoned at least one other. The cops shoulda been called but i suspect there was money and power involved and everyone stood by until it cost someone their life. I don't see 'Let it be' being withdrawn over that though? We don't get to have one without the other. A rough read on him is that his mind was never capable of dealing with drugs or women.
I read a bunch of biographies about him years ago, his story is relatively straight forward:

Dweeby kid with a gift for music, a hangup over his father's suicide, and a smart mouth always getting him in trouble. His insecurities led to control freakery both over how he made music and in relationships.

He made a lot of people a TON of money so they overlooked his mostly feigned eccentric manner and completely enabled his worst tendencies. He got into pointing guns at people as a powerplay and realized that they were a leveller. The drugs were there but i dont think they were much of a factor.

The most surprising thing is that it took 30+ years before someone was killed by him.

phil-spector-headjpg-4fd42a695a4828ff.jpg

The songs were great, the singers were great, the bands were so great that Hal Blaine possibly messed up and stumbled on one of the great drums beats. He was just the tape op.

That's how I can reconcile myself to still enjoying the music he made, by not celebrating him or his part in making it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• xsteox
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back