Your work situation (6 Viewers)

What prompted this? Any idea of what you're going to do next?
I got this job 2 and a half years ago with the precise plan of getting a house with an affordable mortgage so I wouldn't have to do jobs like this any more, which I have now done. There's no way of doing this job part time or it not taking up 50+ hours a week (even if I wasn't on thumped i'd have to be logged in, paying attention).

I'm gonna try and look for part time work either online or in the local area (when tourism opens up post-covid). We're fine for money for the forseeable future and even if we were both on the dole we'd still be able to pay the mortgage and our expenses (just about). In some ways we've lucked out on remote working just about becoming a possibility in rural Ireland before the house prices moved with it.

If it all goes to shit so be it, at least i'll know i'll have tried. I could have worked my way up the corporate ladder and died from a heartattack at 50 a rich, stressed, unhappy man.

Last edited:
I could have worked my way up the corporate ladder and died from a heartattack at 50 a rich, stressed, unhappy man.
I look at my old schoolmates on linkedin sometimes and see they're head of this or that, with pucks of money and status and all that crack, and I think "maybe I shoulda done something corporate that'd make me a shitload of money and I'd be retired by now and living the good life" ... I mean, it's not as if I've actually enjoyed my working life anyway, right? And I'm smarter than most of those pricks

But, realistically, I've found working hard going enough without it being in a dog-eat-dog corporate bullshit-ology environment, and I don't think I'd have had the stomach for that shit

I look at my old schoolmates on linkedin sometimes and see they're head of this or that, with pucks of money and status and all that crack, and I think "maybe I shoulda done something corporate that'd make me a shitload of money and I'd be retired by now and living the good life" ... I mean, it's not as if I've actually enjoyed my working life anyway, right? And I'm smarter than most of those pricks

But, realistically, I've found working hard going enough without it being in a dog-eat-dog corporate bullshit-ology environment, and I don't think I'd have had the stomach for that shit
I know too many people who are killing themselves with work right now with the idea of retiring at 45-50, and maybe they will, and have a stress free life after that and the joke will be on me. However, the hardest working person I know doing this is already moving into chronic pain issues in their mid 30s right now, directly related to their work ethic. It's quite the gamble.

and generally I don't believe them because lots of them have big mortgages (or are hoping to get big mortgages because... Ireland) that seem to go up every time they get a promotion.

and god knows where their head will be at at 50 where they have sacrificed 25-30 years, will they even know who they are?

But if I can find something to do that I don't hate and do it for another 50 years that sounds better to me than drawing a line under "work" at a certain age and just being a full-time retired person.

Like yourself i'm not especially suited to the corporate thing, I resent it with every fibre. It's one thing saying "just put up with it and take the money," but to actually do it well I'd need to change my entire worldview, internally as well as externally, and no, I'm not going to do that.

My dad is always saying he wanted to do so much when he was younger, and he put it off until he retired, but now that he's retired he's too tired to do any of it.

I don't think anyone I went to school with went on to become particularly successful. At least no one that I'm in contact with.
I only know of one or 2 people who would really have what would be considered to be very successful careers.
One of them 10 years younger than me, very driven, nice guy but fairly tightly wound and I wonder sometimes if the pace he works at is sustainable long term.
The other is about 10 years older than me and actually strike me as pretty unhappy. Not because of work pressure or the like, but more that it's a deep unhappiness in themselves that's driven them to where they are.

So yeah, middle of the road for the win!

My plan for my retirement is LSD and computer games, neither of which I've tried before but are supposed to be fun and you don't need to be in good physical shape for them
I bought a Switch before Christmas, it's deadly. I'd recommend it.
Never tried LSD so can't recommend that. Did mushrooms a few times, they're hit and miss.

I'm trying to have hobbies now.
Don't get me wrong, he's happy enough and has hobbies, but Covid-aside, all the see-the-world plans he had he's lost interest in. Too nervous about getting ill or injured abroad I think.

Don't get me wrong, he's happy enough and has hobbies, but Covid-aside, all the see-the-world plans he had he's lost interest in. Too nervous about getting ill abroad I think.
Yeah, that's shit. You do get more cautious with yourself as you get older so it can be hard to go and travel be as carefree as you would be in your 20s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back