2020 albums worth a listen... (1 Viewer)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Dynamic, pleasant electronic stuff but as for placing it in a larger context, goodnight.

this is a great album from former Thee Oh Sees woman, I think that was her previous band anyway. Been giving it a good few spins over the last couple of months. not a bad moment on it

Great shout from my buddy from Chicago on these guys, Them Airs. Stop bickering about how shite Fontaines D.C are and cop a feel of this instead! Cast your mind back to a time when experimental, indie/punk was at the top of its game in North America [mid to late 90s].

Great shout from my buddy from Chicago on these guys, Them Airs. Stop bickering about how shite Fontaines D.C are and cop a feel of this instead! Cast your mind back to a time when experimental, indie/punk was at the top of its game in North America [mid to late 90s].

I'll stick with actual Chicago 90s punk

Nice one, I'm enjoying these.

but come on, it is clearly to mid to late 90s experimental indie/punk what Fontaines DC are to various post-punk bands from the late 70s and early 80s.

presume it's been mentioned already, ye listening to these SAULT albums?

moving backwards from their most recent. Think it's brilliant. And the other one I've heard (not as much) is equally as brilliant

presume it's been mentioned already, ye listening to these SAULT albums?

moving backwards from their most recent. Think it's brilliant. And the other one I've heard (not as much) is equally as brilliant
Yea they are pretty great alright - I went on a bit of a binge listening to a bunch of them at the end of the summer, they had somehow slipped under my radar before that. Really consistent output- 4 albums in 2 years, all good shit.

I suppose we’ll have to start a 2021 thread soon, but this was released last year so I can still sneak it in here. best with decent headphones or big speakers. synthy drony gurgly good stuff

I suppose we’ll have to start a 2021 thread soon, but this was released last year so I can still sneak it in here. best with decent headphones or big speakers. synthy drony gurgly good stuff

Ha, just came here to post this... I mean this kosmische synth stuff can seem ten a penny these days but this is seriously good. Trying to get my hands on the CD box set but seems sold out everywhere and is not available on discogs...

but come on, it is clearly to mid to late 90s experimental indie/punk what Fontaines DC are to various post-punk bands from the late 70s and early 80s.

I hear your point, or do I? I think a lot of the post-punk bands they may sound like are basically just indie acts if you remove the context [ whoever, I dunno. The Stranglers, or Josef K or whatever the bog-standard ones are] and there is so much emphasis on the ocular/fashion whipped up by the media to align them with those cultural references... is any of it real??
Coincidentally I've been listening to bits of Steve Lamacq with my dinner, and this track came on, and yer mine sounds pure Colin Newman, and the production and general sound makes me think Pink Flag. I was thinking, right, could be some Wire track I'm not aware of. Track ends. It's Menswear. Who were Britpop, but if the marketing was going in a certain direction, it could easily have been some built up as some post-punk rehash.

Anyway, the media optics on what are they called again, yeah, Fontaines is to present them as some sort of post-punk revival thing.

Completely unrelated this was one of the few physical records I bought released last year

just came last week. Not quite the avalanche of manic skronk intensity you would expect from these two notorious hard-hitters of the modern free-jazz world, but yeah... worth a listen if you've been hankering for a contemporary free-jazz duo.

Just listening to the preview tracks on this, sounds excellent. Due out in March.

I hear your point, or do I? I think a lot of the post-punk bands they may sound like are basically just indie acts if you remove the context [ whoever, I dunno. The Stranglers, or Josef K or whatever the bog-standard ones are] and there is so much emphasis on the ocular/fashion whipped up by the media to align them with those cultural references... is any of it real??
Ah yeah, this stuff is always everyone calling everyone else a scam artist. I have my own heretical views of as well of course.

Coincidentally I've been listening to bits of Steve Lamacq with my dinner, and this track came on, and yer mine sounds pure Colin Newman, and the production and general sound makes me think Pink Flag. I was thinking, right, could be some Wire track I'm not aware of. Track ends. It's Menswear. Who were Britpop, but if the marketing was going in a certain direction, it could easily have been some built up as some post-punk rehash.
New Wave of New Wave never really took off beyond the papers did it? Music worth listening to is 10% what it sounds like and 90% what kind of fashion statement their shoes are making. Everything else happens in your own head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back