Sexism, god help us (2 Viewers)

I presumed she was American, didn’t realise that English was a second language for her. Which is impressive given how many pages those books are!

Atlas Shrugged is a fantastic read.

....really?

Dammit. Do I have to have another look at this. In what sense? I didn't get past the first... I'm guessing 100 pages.
I thought the story itself wasn't interesting or novel. The subtext was grim, but I ignored that similar to the way I ignored those aspects of that other absolutely shit book about the space pilot who's playing "games" that in the end you find out aren't really games and he just saved the galaxy. I forget that the name of it. The point is I can get through obnoxious subtexts and shit writing, if there's something redeeming.

I couldn't find anything redeeming about Atlas Shrugged at all. Although I'm clearly not a literary critical power-house, so I'd happily defer to those who know.

when you say 'this point' i suspect you were talking about a point other than the actual names given to cows, or specifically misogyny though?
What I meant is how overlooked it is that FEMALE animals are impregnated (artificial insemination is standard practice), repeatedly forced to breed, produce milk and when they become infertile they are killed.
This should resonate with anyone who supports women's rights IMO.

Yes, actually it could be that she was making a different point.

Last edited:
What I meant is how overlooked it is that FEMALE animals are impregnated (artificial insemination is standard practice), repeatedly forced to breed, produce milk and when they become infertile they are killed.

whereas the male ones are simply castrated, slaughtered and eaten

She was making an incredibly stupid point - cows have "traditionally girl names" not because of misogyny, but because cows are female

Your point isn't stupid, but is pretty debatable.

edit: The person who made that tweet looks about 15, and now her twitter profile is restricted probably because people are piling on to tell her how stupid she is. God help her :(

She was making an incredibly stupid point - cows have "traditionally girl names" not because of misogyny, but because cows are female

Your point isn't stupid, but is pretty debatable.

edit: The person who made that tweet looks about 15, and now her twitter profile is restricted probably because people are piling on to tell her how stupid she is. God help her :(
I've always found the milk from bulls very salty

I'm sure everyone is horrified by what happened in Offally yesterday.

Something I've been thinking about today.

The dudes here who are in relationships. How confident are we that we will never physically hurt or harm our wives/partners/girlfriends/SOs. I imagine the stock answer would be "100%"

How confident are our wives/partners/girlfriends/SOs that they will never by physically hurt or harmed by us? I imagine we'd be discouraged by the answer if we asked them.

The dudes here who are in relationships. How confident are we that we will never physically hurt or harm our wives/partners/girlfriends/SOs. I imagine the stock answer would be "100%"

How confident are our wives/partners/girlfriends/SOs that they will never by physically hurt or harmed by us? I imagine we'd be discouraged by the answer if we asked them.
Hmmm

If after 30 years Mrs. egg_ is not confident that she is safe with me, then that's because someone other than me has put fear-of-men in her heart

Hmmm

If after 30 years Mrs. egg_ is not confident that she is safe with me, then that's because someone other than me has put fear-of-men in her heart

This is it though, that's the unbalanced culture that they share with us. However much the person we're with might trust us on an individual level there's a wealth of evidence that men as a group are a danger to women, even those that they know intimately. How confident can anyone be with that knowledge in their heads? They knew it to be true before they knew us.

What's my fear of experiencing an assault? Random street violence, a mugging or some drunk in a pub? I'd be unfortunate if it happened to me but I don't exist in fear of it. Women aren't able to live without fear of violence from their most likely source of it, You or I might not do it to them, but some other man might, the fear it might happen is justified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back