Things I should have known before now... (2 Viewers)

The song "Horse with no name" was actually by a band called America, and not, as I always assumed, by 10cc. I don't know why I thought it was a 10cc song. Also, I'm fairly sure I have never heard anything else from or about the band America.

That's a good 30+ years of being completely wrong about something.

I went off on my Wiki's and indeed she's not alone.

"The song's resemblance to some of Neil Young's work aroused some controversy. "I know that virtually everyone, on first hearing, assumed it was Neil", Bunnell says. "I never fully shied away from the fact that I was inspired by him. I think it's in the structure of the song as much as in the tone of his voice. It did hurt a little, because we got some pretty bad backlash. I've always attributed it more to people protecting their own heroes more than attacking me." By coincidence, it was "A Horse with No Name" that replaced Young's "Heart of Gold" at the number 1 spot on the U.S. pop chart.[14]"

The last line of Finnegan's Wake concatenates onto the opening line. So the whole book is a loop.

> A lone a last a loved a long the riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

And in the sentence is about the recirculation of a river. I dunno. I thought that was pleasing.

Still available here I'm sure? There's various iterations. White Lightning, Lightning Ace etc.

Dangerous stuff. Literally lethal.

Oh, I have another booze fact.

To ensure that booze comes from "natural" (meaningless word - what they mean is it derived from a plant) sources, they test to make sure it's a tiny bit radioactive.

Plant based booze would have a carbon signature including radioactive isotopes, whereas lab based ethanol wouldn't include that radioactive C isotope.

So in effect, they're ensuring it's safe to drink by checking it's a bit radioactive. If I had to guess I's assume it would be about 3.6 Roentgen. Not great, but not terrible (disclaimer, not a chemist).

The last line of Finnegan's Wake concatenates onto the opening line. So the whole book is a loop.

> A lone a last a loved a long the riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

And in the sentence is about the recirculation of a river. I dunno. I thought that was pleasing.
I think I remember reading that Joyce intended the reader to start at any point they like in the book and just loop back around to where they started.

My Finnegans Wake reading group is JUST BARELY hanging in there. I'll tell you what, that opening/closing sentence is beautifully written and sounds great on the tongue but so much of the book (so far) just sounds like oinks and moos.

My Finnegans Wake reading group is JUST BARELY hanging in there. I'll tell you what, that opening/closing sentence is beautifully written and sounds great on the tongue but so much of the book (so far) just sounds like oinks and moos.

The only way I manage to get through Joyce is audiobooks. I can't read it like a normal book, I have to be driving somewhere or doing something, and just listen to it.

The only way I manage to get through Joyce is audiobooks. I can't read it like a normal book, I have to be driving somewhere or doing something, and just listen to it.
I'm kind of doing everything (reading it, listening to it, reading around it) and even then... very much a book that lives up to its reputation.

There's a Dublin history expert in our group and he keeps coming up with these massive explanations as to what this and that pun refers to that I would never have seen otherwise. Plus, where i'm from is mentioned several times and that never happens.

I know there's a few websites out there that have line by line, word by word, pun deconstructions, and i've referred to them a little, but I mostly i'm trying to "enjoy" it.

Oh. Christ, no.

I'm not at that level at all. I'm not going to say it's like spoken musak, but for me I can not worry about zoning out for chunks, it's just words, all kind of part of the whole.

It wouldn't be completely dissimilar to spoken musak now that I think about it. Pearls before swine style.

There are things I notice and appreciate. When he talks about walking down some street, and then turning into another, it's correct. Like, you actually can walk along Dollymount, and wander up to where ever. But that's about as far into it as my brain is getting, it's primarily: words go brrrrrr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back