I saw a thing in the garden (1 Viewer)

We always have rats coming in after the hen's food, and I never succeeded in catching one with a trap. Tried poison too years ago, and the poison would be gone but it never seemed to affect the rat population. When the cat arrived he sorted it all out

(p.s. don't use rat poison, it kills lots of things that aren't rats and I should have known better)

We always have rats coming in after the hen's food, and I never succeeded in catching one with a trap. Tried poison too years ago, and the poison would be gone but it never seemed to affect the rat population. When the cat arrived he sorted it all out

(p.s. don't use rat poison, it kills lots of things that aren't rats and I should have known better)

We lost our second to last dog to rat poison, horrible way for the poor little fucker to go.

We lost our second to last dog to rat poison, horrible way for the poor little fucker to go.

Jesus. Yeah, don't use poisons/insecticides to deal with anything... ever pretty much. It's really a terrible thing to do.

The poisons stay in the system, and destroy it. Let's say you poisoned some rats, foxes/birds of prey or anything else that would have killed those animals on a continious and ongoing basis, will find those sick or dead rats, eat them, and die. So now you've just destroyed the animals who spend their lives trying to help you out.

Effectively rat poison ensures that rat predators are disposed of, ensuring more rats in the future. Rat populations will bounce back over the course of a few weeks/months. Predators will not.

You deal with a rat problem by finding out where they're getting food from, and cutting off the food sources. (Or much more fun, sitting out with an air rifle, picking them off. They tend to have trails they follow, if you watch them long enough.)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We feed the rats to the cats and the cats to the rats and get the cat skins for nothing!

Less of a problem since the neighbours got cats but I used to see them scurrying along the top of some railway sleepers that are laid down at the back of the garden regularly.

It would be fierce satisfying picking them off the top of railway sleepers.

I have the occasional mouse that comes into the apartment. I've taken to chasing the little pricks, they panic and I can scoop them up with my hand and fling them at the wall which stuns them, then I can grab them by the tail and put them in a container in the freezer to kill them before they get unstunned.

They then get fed to my child's bearded dragon, who's now learned about mice and become very enthusiastic with the whole venture.

I’m pretty sure they will “unstun” before they freeze. Aren’t you a biologist? Cervical dislocation with a biro should be in your skill set!

dammit.

Possibly.

Initially I thought they were dead after their trip against the wall. I saw a poo in the freezer coffin last time, so I'm pretty sure they aren't, just stunned.

I'll man up next time and... do the deed. :-|

I would never put down poison, or even try and kill it. If the dogs get it that's just nature an' all. The cat left in June, I think he'd had enough of the giant puppy that was chasing him and standing on him all the time. I miss him terribly, hope he's ok somewhere.

Going to be dreaming of those mice slowly freezing to death in the dark.

Night night everyone.

The previous system I had set up was I'd get all the mice, and put them on little trains, but pack them in to the freight cars though. They didn't get to sit in the nice carriages.

Then I'd route all the trains to this one corner of the apartment, where the mice would get uploaded, and I'd get these other turncoat mice to herd them into little mouse gas chambers.

But I felt a bit uneasy about this, so I moved to the more physically slamming them into a wall, locking them in a dark place, and freezing to death, which frankly saves a me lot on logistics.

The previous system I had set up was I'd get all the mice, and put them on little trains, but pack them in to the freight cars though. They didn't get to sit in the nice carriages.

Then I'd route all the trains to this one corner of the apartment, where the mice would get uploaded, and I'd get these other turncoat mice to herd them into little mouse gas chambers.

But I felt a bit uneasy about this, so I moved to the more physically slamming them into a wall, locking them in a dark place, and freezing to death, which frankly saves a me lot on logistics.
Mouse-witz

(that’s an awful joke and I’m going to hell for it)

A fox is taking a worrying interest in our new puppy, probably because of his musky odours. We have a wire pen and it's pretty secure, but a determined fox could get in. Thing is he wouldn't find it so easy to get out and if panicked could make shit of the dogs and the cat.

Any advice on dettering it? I plan to put more lighting out in the pen and maybe metal bird deterrent spikes along the top of the fences.

Call Dublin zoo and ask if they have any lion poo for sale.

Or don't cage in your new dog, if you think that's viable.

Weather made a turn for the Baltic here over the last day or so.

The animals all go a bit wacky around now I've noticed. There was a racoon level with the window, climbing up a tree (I'm on the 4th floor). They just walk straight up and straight down the trees, zero fucks.

The latest thing I've noticed though is there's been a flock of starlings that's moved into the vacinity, and they camp in the bamboo thicket. I'm working, ie "working", ie working from home these days, so I'm looking out the window a fair bit. And and a family of... let's call them Big Bastard Eagles have learned about the bamboo hidey hole. (I'm not very good with eagles, but these boys are big enough.)

So at around dusk, just before, the eagles come swooping past the window, zooming up and down the bamboo corridor, a few of them, maybe a family? Then they sit out on the trees and watch. And in the bamboo there's fucking RUCTIONS. A thousand little wings are flapping about, bricking it, but you can see nothing. Then the Big Bastards do more zooming, and there's another wave of bricks shit and worried flaps in the bamboo.

It's pretty exciting.

Call Dublin zoo and ask if they have any lion poo for sale.

Or don't cage in your new dog, if you think that's viable.
The "cage" is almost the size of the house. We put the dogs out at intervals so they can piss and shit. The cat spends all his time out there too.
Lion poo sounds like an interesting solution.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before. It is something that certainly London Zoo sells. I'm sure Dublin Zoo would do the same. ZSL has a waiting list for lion poo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back