Returning to Ireland advice thread (I've made a huge mistake part II) (2 Viewers)

That's what you think!

I grew up with an accent that A: wasn't donegal enough for donegal, I was always told I sounded like i was from galway, and B: wasn't galway enough for Galway, being told I sounded like i was from donegal. The result of this is that I have never lived anywhere without someone commenting on my accent, nor have I lived anywhere where I had an accent that was of its location. I literally get paid to talk now.

I got off a plane in St. Paul in summer 2019 and asked for directions to the bus. The airport staff stared at me like I had two heads. Eventually I said "baaahss" in a Yank accent and they said "oh! over there"

I grew up with an accent that A: wasn't donegal enough for donegal, I was always told I sounded like i was from galway, and B: wasn't galway enough for Galway, being told I sounded like i was from donegal. The result of this is that I have never lived anywhere without someone commenting on my accent, nor have I lived anywhere where I had an accent that was of its location. I literally get paid to talk now.
I keep getting asked if I'm from Wexford. I don't really know what a Wexford accent sounds like.

I remember one time me and my wife were on holiday were in Thailand. We went on a day trip with a bunch of people one of the days. There was an old Israeli couple on the trip as well. We were having lunch halfway through the day. I was talking and the Israeli guy cut across me mid sentence and asked "What language is that guy speaking?"
Somebody answered, "He's speaking English, it's just with an Irish accent".
To which he replied, "And you can understand him???"

So yeah, I guess I've a pretty strong accent whatever it is.

I'm from Wexford. When I lived in England loads of people thought I was American

See here for the townie accent
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

For a Wexford culshie accent slacken your jaw, put your finger horizontally between your lips, make an 'uuuuuuuuuh' sound and wobble your finger around

So yeah, I guess I've a pretty strong accent whatever it is.
The thing I noticed being really difficult to get when I was in South America listening to Spanish was picking up where the words started and stopped. It probably took around a month before I got a handle on that, and once you do it's suddenly much easier to progress.

So, when I was back in North America I made an effort to try to make the word boundary clearer, I tried to separate the words a little bit more clearly for the listener. I think that was one of the things that people found confusing about Irish accents, this tendency for us to run words into each other.

With my Donegal accent I asked the guy in the Spar in Leixlip for ice. He looked really confused so I repeated the question. Still confused he tried repeating what I'd said , coming out with "aaaeesh?". I tried again ; " ice, for putting in a drink to make it cold" . "Ah", he said, "oice!"

We still use the word"aaaeesh".

I think I might have told that story before. I've become the boring old man who keeps telling the same boring old stories.

With my Donegal accent I asked the guy in the Spar in Leixlip for ice. He looked really confused so I repeated the question. Still confused he tried repeating what I'd said , coming out with "aaaeesh?". I tried again ; " ice, for putting in a drink to make it cold" . "Ah", he said, "oice!"

We still use the word"aaaeesh".
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When I first opened the pub I had a terrible time understanding people. This 60 year old woman came up to me and asked for a "Bah- hhhher" (said super fast nearly spitting), I have to ask about 5 times before she just said a dairy milk. I was so confused.

When I first opened the pub I had a terrible time understanding people. This 60 year old woman came up to me and asked for a "Bah- hhhher" (said super fast nearly spitting), I have to ask about 5 times before she just said a dairy milk. I was so confused.
Did she mean "bar" as in chocolate bar?

?
Bainne? Like milk in Irish?

One of my finest memories of being in an incomprehensible rural pub in the absolute arseholes of Kerry somewhere was when my mate from Dublin walked in, sat at the bar with me, and almost immediately started loudly commiserating with me about how hard it must have been for our ancestors to extract the rents out of :looks around pub: the likes of these people.

There was also the time I had to intervene because I thought you were going to knock out that guy over tea bags. He’s a dick though.
10 minutes of life that no one is getting back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back