Returning to Ireland advice thread (I've made a huge mistake part II) (1 Viewer)

anyway, where in the country are you hoping to end up?

West cork would be where I'll move to. There's a place in Skibbereen where I can get an internet connect to work out of, and there's more and more broadband throughout Ireland now, even south west cork.

That's all I need really, internet connection and power. A school roughly within the area would be handy.

Maybe it could it go and live on a wonderful farm in the US where it'll be so happy instead of coming to Ireland

I actually liked Seattle. That place had less of an acutely racist oppressive vibe about it, and it's not brutally hot for months at a time.

It's still the US though, at a certain point I started to ask myself why I am doing all of this if I don't like the outcome. I don't think Ireland is some idyllic place or anything, I just think that on average it's a less brutal place than the US, I'd prefer that my kids see that life can exist outside of here, and that here is not normal. (Normal being defined in how I see normal).

West cork would be where I'll move to. There's a place in Skibbereen where I can get an internet connect to work out of, and there's more and more broadband throughout Ireland now, even south west cork.

That's all I need really, internet connection and power. A school roughly within the area would be handy.
West cork is one of the nicest places in the whole country. Who wouldn't want to live there!

Seemingly so. Since the job will be done outside the US now, I'll have to set up my own company and employ myself. That qualifies as a change of employment, despite the fact I'd be doing the same job for the same people. I ran that idea of wouldn't a letter from the chief saying this, but they don't care as the lending criteria are very strict now.
After two years or something I'd qualify, it's not the end of the world, just annoying.

I'm more worried about things in the nearer term future right now. My son has this bearded dragon lizard... I've no idea how I'm going to bring that bloody thing over for example.

bit of a pain alright. sorry to hear that.

pets can be a nitemare aparently - a mate of mine spent more money bringing his dog to Australia a few years back than he did his wife and kid.

I think there’s over a 6 week delay on getting PPS numbers now, so that might take a while. Call the DEASP office near where you’re going to be living and see what they want and if it’s at all possible to make an appointment with them for just after you get there. Make sure you bring passports and birth certs.

If the job is paying your taxes through the US still, you’ll need to apply for an Exclusion Order with Revenue. This takes a long time too. You’ll need to get proof off the job and there’s no phone number for that revenue department. Call 01 7383636 before 12:30 (Irish time) and ask to speak directly with a supervisor for contact details because the person answering the phone won’t know how to help.
if you’re going to be PAYE, set up a revenue “My Account” as soon as you can because you’ll be on emergency tax otherwise.

You're only moving because the election has been stolen from Trump so your hero isn't in charge any more!

I'm only moving because the Feds are starting to realize why there's an extra 300,000 votes in the area and the neighbours are starting to wonder why there's an industrial shredder running 24 hours a day.

You're in tech right? There's pucks of tech jobs here. Mightn't be so easy to get them in West Cork though I suppose

The idea would be I'd keep doing the same job as I am now, and continue to telecommute as I'm already doing.
If I was going to stay in the US I'd stay working for the people I'm working with now, but I'd try to maybe climb up the promotion ladder.

I'm realizing that I'm not actually that keen to do this though. My position that I have now is OK, I'm not too stressed, and I'm tired of struggling in my job and always pushing myself.

I hope you haven't picked up a yank accent ...

The accent thing is strange at this point.

My mind has an american accent, but my mouth has an Irish accent. So when I'm speaking I hear my own accent, which is kind of a mind fuck. I'm not sure how it works.

People know when I'm talking to my Dad or something on the phone, because seemingly I speak differently and they have trouble understanding me. I know I had to consciously change the way I spoke when I got here, I had to slow down and speak more carefully. But I don't consciously change the way I speak when I speak to Irish people, although others have pointed out that I do this, so I guess I believe them.

I don't know what I sound like any more. People know I'm a foreigner of some description. I was with a Ghanaian woman for a while, and the security in the buildings tends to be Africans, they saw me sometimes with the Ghanaian woman and somehow figured out I was African. Other people think I'm English, Scottish, NZ, Aussie... and, Irish. I think that's the lot.

Having said all that I was doing this swim along the side of Wexford, and I saw some women on a beach, so I hopped out of the water to ask them something. I suppose I was a bit cold and I wasn't thinking about speech, but I heard them talking to themselves as I walked back to the water and one of them accused me of maybe being a yank. So... yeah, dodgy enough sounding possibly.

A similar thing happened to me in Philadelphia. I asked for a ticket to the "city centre" instead of "senner cidee". Like a fucking moron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back