NTL / UPC / Virgin Media Broadband (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter HMD
  • Start date
  • Replies 513
  • Views 66K
  • Watchers 11
I'm getting high speeds, but it will drop for 5-10 seconds to nothing 15 to 20 times a day. Not a problem if you're just browsing but a royal pain when it happens 6 times in a 45 minute online meeting or during a phone call (we're using a desktop app to connect to our switch).
Thats whats been happening here. Dosent bother me but herself iz Zooming the whole time with heads of state and such like and the two housemates are doing college so they're not impressed. And they are looking at mr. build a recording studio from a few planks over here to sort it out.

Herself got on to virgin yesterday via whatsapp and they did some tinkering ie...split the wifi into two separate bands. Which as far as I can tell from the analytics in the router did nothing about the dropped connection but time will tell I guess...see how it fairs this morning. I'd say it probably line contention

I'm gonna observe it closely..well maybe not if I can't be arsed its not my job

they do that band config no matter what the problem is.
our broadband went down a few months ago and they got my wife to try it to fix it, even though the router was complaining it had no upstream connection.

I'm currently using powerline adapters to get internet in the shed ..the virgin whatsapp person said this is messing with the wifi signal...well they don't know what it is they can just see I have something plugged in to the router so they're guessing. It may well be although those adapters operate in the very low mhz range so she's talking out of her hat. Nevertheless I'm gonna run an ethenet cable out here and absolve myself of all iincriminations

Does anyone have an rj45 crimper to lend me?

I'm currently using powerline adapters to get internet in the shed ..the virgin whatsapp person said this is messing with the wifi signal...well they don't know what it is they can just see I have something plugged in to the router so they're guessing. It may well be although those adapters operate in the very low mhz range so she's talking out of her hat. Nevertheless I'm gonna run an ethenet cable out here and absolve myself of all iincriminations

Does anyone have an rj45 crimper to lend me?

i have one but i'm nowhere near you. you can get them cheap enough online.

https://amzn.to/3lOZkwz

i hate making network cables. horrible memories of sitting on the floor of faraway comms rooms trying to line up the stupid little wires.

i have one but i'm nowhere near you. you can get them cheap enough online.

https://amzn.to/3lOZkwz

i hate making network cables. horrible memories of sitting on the floor of faraway comms rooms trying to line up the stupid little wires.

still do it most days in work.
it is a balls.

I am enjoying reading the National Broadband Plan updates. Are they delusional or just liars? My connection is bad but also not too bad all things considered. Over Eircom's 4G network I can watch Netflix and youtube and stream music and do my job and even do videocalls (just about).

I reckon there's a better chance i'll get a highspeed connection from Elon Musk before the broadband plan reaches here.

Anyway, I have no real question or anything, just very impressed that they are adamant that this plan will definitely work.

I am enjoying reading the National Broadband Plan updates. Are they delusional or just liars? My connection is bad but also not too bad all things considered. Over Eircom's 4G network I can watch Netflix and youtube and stream music and do my job and even do videocalls (just about).

I reckon there's a better chance i'll get a highspeed connection from Elon Musk before the broadband plan reaches here.

Anyway, I have no real question or anything, just very impressed that they are adamant that this plan will definitely work.

They were supposed to roll out fibre to me 2 or 3 years ago. They did put it in to the exchange, but the actual wires and boxes on the poll end about 500m from my house. Who knows if they'll ever finish the job.

Are there many places left in Dublin with terrible broadband? I was actually living in one in the city centre circa 2015 but they finally fixed it that December.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back