What television series are you currently making your way through? (7 Viewers)

I remember being in Cannes one time when the film festival was on and it was really weird. From early in the morning there were all these girls dressed up like models walking around striking poses at the edge of the road whenever there was a hint of a camera around or whenever a fancy car came along that might possibly have someone important in it. Often photographers would stop and take a load of pictures while the girl pouted and did various poses and then the photographers would just continue on to wherever they were going. At the time I couldn't believe that this approach to getting spotted would ever work but maybe talent spotters do trawl the streets. I still think it's weird.

I enjoyed The Queen's Gambit- along with everyone else it seems

This guy though.

What was he supposed to look like in that trenchcoat and hat? A 90s sci fi nerd?

This comment on Facebook made me laugh

"If David Spade and Harry Styles had a baby"

125493388_2683834608594962_3030298052482759869_o.jpg
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Say what you like about lockdown, but in our case it’s brought us all together, daughter’s got well into chess. <a href="https://t.co/FxcwAmvFkB">https://t.co/FxcwAmvFkB</a></p>&mdash; Ralph Ineson (@ralphineson) <a href="
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
">November 22, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm also watching The Crown. Halfway through and it's hitting its mid season slump. The episode about the guy who broke into the queen's bedroom was really bad. Generally I like it though.

I only see the crown in 5 minute slices on gogglebox or over the weekend just now when I popped in to see my parents; my one takeaway is that the woman who plays Ann seems good, a sort of Greek chorus role.

Just finished The Truth Seekers. Pretty easy watching which is just what I wanted. Solid Pegg/Frost stuff.

I finally gave in an watched Queen's Gambit.

I suppose it's OK. It's a bit annoying in the chess stuff though, people don't go knocking over their kings like that. Normally you don't even say anything, just offer to shake hands and congratulate them on beating you.

I suppose it's OK. It's a bit annoying in the chess stuff though, people don't go knocking over their kings like that. Normally you don't even say anything, just offer to shake hands and congratulate them on beating you.
Maybe you’re just doing it wrong, loser.

I'm in the middle of a very tense game with my father-in-law which is due to resume at 8pm tonight. Hoping to (virtually) knock his kind to kingdom-come after which I will triumphantly rampage around my living room whooping. That's the done thing right?

Actually @flashback - are you some sort of expert chess player? Could I send you a screenshot of the game so you can tell me what to do? It's my move next ....

Only joking .. I wouldn't do that. Well, I might ...

Only joking .. I wouldn't do that. Well, I might ...
The problem with chess is you can be playing great, and crushing them, and you make one mistake and it's finished. The consistancy part is the hard one, especially under short time control.

Or you make a little mistake early, and you spend the rest of the game trying to claw it back, usually ending up in worse trouble.

Almost as if chess is hard or something.

There was a class youtube of this German Grand Master playing online, crushing all comers on his stream. Then he plays this anonymous sounding Norwegian player, who promtply dismantles him. The German guy is just blinking... fundamentally re-evaluating life choices, appalled.

In reality was what happened was Magnus was walking past the Norwegian guy, spotted he was playing a GM on a live stream, and just played his game for him.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I love that it avoids the obvious tropes. Young woman raised in an orphange and nobody is cruel to her. Lone girl/woman in a man's world, but after a little initial weirdness is treated with respect and without creepiness. Seems to be flirting with the genius/insanity thing, but sure you can't have everything

(also I LOVE its use of colour)

Seems to be flirting with the genius/insanity thing, but sure you can't have everything

I've not read the book, nor watched more than a few episodes, but some of her story seems kind of close-ish to Bobby Fisher... who ultimately ended up squarely in the insanity camp. Sometimes the tropes aren't a million miles off maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back