Miscellaneous Articles You Should Read (4 Viewers)

Any reason that article is getting a second lap?
I missed it first time round as well, is it true that Siouxsie Sioux was moshing with Shane McGowan?

ANNNNYWAY,

That article about the article paints it all incorrectly, the original article basically argues that Bono killed anything good about Irish rock when he started palling around with the G8 and calling capitalism the greatest invention of all time, and that any good music coming from Ireland in 2020 either comes from immigrant communities or people on the fringes who are going to stay on the fringes (like, Lankum are pretty big but they're not going to be selling out Croke Park). I mean, yeah.

Joe Cleary was my lecturer in Maynooth way back in the day. Angry, angry man.

That "what is it like to be a man" article has made me a bit teary. Yes, it's overlong, but god there are big chunks in there that could have been written by me

I live out my masculinity most often as a perverse avoidance of comfort: the refusal of good clothes, moisturizer, painkillers; hard physical training, pursued for its own sake and not because I enjoy it; a sense that there is a set amount of physical pain or self-imposed discipline that I owe the universe.

Every social encounter between men is potentially a fistfight. You learn this in elementary school and never forget it. No wonder, as we age, that we ignore each other, let our friendships wither, cancel plans. No wonder there are recurring expressions of concern about a “male bonding crisis.” (Why spend your precious leisure hours among possible enemies?)

the issue with a lot of those articles is not that they're wrong, but that they're preaching to the choir. to be fair, i only got time to read the first few paragraphs so i may be lumping it into a category it's not in.

the issue with a lot of those articles is not that they're wrong, but that they're preaching to the choir. to be fair, i only got time to read the first few paragraphs so i may be lumping it into a category it's not in.
Well, I don't think it was trying to persuade anyone of anything. It wasn't a policy paper or anything, it was just a nice bit of writing.

that article about being a man said:
I mowed the lawn with a series of Nixon-era push reel mowers I’d rolled home from the same place.
I mow our lawn with a mower that has a broken drive I got off my (now deceased) father-in-law so have to push and drag it around. I feel this is somehow good for me, and somehow better than using the actually working mower that is languishing in my (now deceased) father-in-law's shed

Suspect someone here linked this already, i'm reading through my bookmarks, which there are many.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Suspect someone here linked this already, i'm reading through my bookmarks, which there are many.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have you read the two Mark O'Connell books? Would recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back