BREXIT (3 Viewers)

There's an opportunity for asking someone are they Icelandic.
Funnily enough, When I last had a chat like this with an intelligent Brexiter he said "name me another country that has more or less worked for as long as the UK".

I said Sweden. Never thought of mentioning Iceland. In many ways a stupid question with a stupid answer I suppose. But there's some sort of truth to it.

I guess I could have said his logic was flawed because the English and their colonial ilk destroyed everywhere else. But I'll keep Iceland in mind for next time.

I don't think they planned that far ahead. I think the majority of Brexit voters were sold lines about the England of Today being broken resulting from immigrants and meddling foreign influences, and they voted to get rid of that sort of thing. Theie reasonable enough logic being: we ran our own country for generations, I don't see why we need to have Germany and fucking Maastricht ruling us now.
Pretty sure that's exactly what got Brexit voted through

Priti Patel is gas though isn't she?
An authoritarian nationalist isn't she? I could see her being next PM, unless some of the real racist dinosaurs in the Tory party managed to stop her.

It'd be a real own on the identity politics people if the Conservatives got in a female woman of colour as PM first.

Yeah totally. They can't get rid of her as she's the nastiest of all of them but can get away with it as a BAME woman.

Can't see her as PM. But hey, who knows anymore.

Funnily enough, When I last had a chat like this with an intelligent Brexiter he said "name me another country that has more or less worked for as long as the UK".

I said Sweden. Never thought of mentioning Iceland. In many ways a stupid question with a stupid answer I suppose. But there's some sort of truth to it.

I guess I could have said his logic was flawed because the English and their colonial ilk destroyed everywhere else. But I'll keep Iceland in mind for next time.

Iceland is only an independent country since 1944.
i may have entirely missed your point

Iceland is only an independent country since 1944.
i may have entirely missed your point
I think the thing is Iceland has the oldest parliament in the world dating to the 10th century

I think that while until 1944, there would have been personal unions with other places - Denmark, Norway, but I think most of the time it has been self rule with one monarch over two kingdoms rather than one kingdom

San Marino has been independent since the 4th century. Japan, China, and them are the three oldest countries in the world

is Ireland Britain in this metaphor? and does that make Britain Nazi Germany?
I think that's quite cool. It'd be good to develop alternative trade routes rather than going through Britain. Should've happened years ago, Brexit or no.

The article says it'll take longer, but really it won't. There's definitely a benefit in taking the long way round. The route seems to be designed to consider lorry drivers tachograph requirements, which is good. If you're a lorry driver, do you want to spend 24 hours on a boat with all the facilities, or spend 24 hours in Kent with the worlds largest collection of portable toilets?

I have no idea who is Dunkirk or Britain or whoever in that metaphor though.

Also, this is well worth reading. I don't even know if it's a WWN type thing or actual local news: Kent rebranded 'Toilet of England'

lol this just goes on and on

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back