Santa question (1 Viewer)

Oh yeah, I'm not gonna deny that. It's brilliant seeing their excitement. It's nearly half the reason for having kids.
yes - that's what I meant.
You've never been around kids at Christmas I take it?
2-3 year olds ('small child') may not quite grasp being given an avalanche of presents.

as a kid my family used to sit around on Xmas afternoon opening our presents.
after having Santa in the morning, we would each take it in turn to open one
present at a time (this is a nice idea if you can get it to work but it's not been
passed on to the next generation).
my barely 3 year old brother opened about 5 presents one year before my folks
realized he was just putting them in a stack and not taking any interest in them.
they had to tell him they were his toys to play with.

another time i woke up on my fourth birthday and went down to the kitchen to
see something covering up the dining table - someone had put this big wooden
toy garages on the table for me and my brother (whose birthday was a few weeks
later) and put all my toy cars on it !
some jerk was trying to take my toys !
so I took all my cars off the garage and covered it up again.
my folks got up shortly after and were a bit confused, as to why I did that and
explained my Dad had made the garages for us.
the garages ended up being the most played with toys of our childhoods -
something really unique only we had.

the Xmas after that I got up and saw a toy motorbike at the end of the my bed.
I went back to bed wondering who left their bike there.

another time my Dad bought my mother a washing machine for Xmas.
the box it came in was about the size of a Wendy house and me and my brother
used it as a toy house until it feel apart about 6 or 7 weeks later.
I should have just asked for a Wendy house from Santa.

loads more examples of this.

I used to love Xmas as a kid. although whoever came up with Santa was bit strange,
there's no possibilty of opting out it.

Last edited:
My parents never came clean with me. I distinctly remember them talking about "buying presents this year" over dinner one time and having to quietly adjust my entire world view on the fly.

2-3 year olds ('small child') may not quite grasp being given an avalanche of presents.
Santa only brings 1-2 things here, a stocking full of little things (some colouring supplies, sweets, etc.) and a small-medium present. Mammy and Daddy give the rest (which isn’t a huge amount either, for precisely this reason - it becomes money thrown down the drain and most of it will be ignored).

They live for the magic of how the stuff gets there, the snacks left out being eaten, the occasional sooty boot print by the fireplace. Thinking of using the wireless speakers system to have him shout out merry Christmas as he goes up the chimney this year.

I
Santa only brings 1-2 things here, a stocking full of little things (some colouring supplies, sweets, etc.) and a small-medium present. Mammy and Daddy give the rest (which isn’t a huge amount either, for precisely this reason - it becomes money thrown down the drain and most of it will be ignored).

They live for the magic of how the stuff gets there, the snacks left out being eaten, the occasional sooty boot print by the fireplace. Thinking of using the wireless speakers system to have him shout out merry Christmas as he goes up the chimney this year.
that's about as good a visit from Santa as I can imagine. well done.
putting thought into things will always trump throwing money about (which is all too normal).

What I don't get is, the first time your kid is old enough to figure out "Right it's Christmas time", why don't parents just tell them "We get presents in the middle of Winter to celebrate the days getting brighter again" or something, instead of "There's a big fuckin fat guy at the North Pole that only goes out on the 24th December to somehow bring everybody in the world presents in one night, and he uses flying reindeer to pilot his magic sled" I mean fuck sake, which is easier?

What I don't get is, the first time your kid is old enough to figure out "Right it's Christmas time", why don't parents just tell them "We get presents in the middle of Winter to celebrate the days getting brighter again" or something, instead of "There's a big fuckin fat guy at the North Pole that only goes out on the 24th December to somehow bring everybody in the world presents in one night, and he uses flying reindeer to pilot his magic sled" I mean fuck sake, which is easier?
LOL ! but I think it is so hard for parents to opt out of Santaism.
Not possible really.

I Appreciated the presents - and my folks more - when I realized what was up.
Whoever came up with Santaism was obviously very religious.
Actually Santa undermines kids religious faith really.

I always downplayed the santy thing, I just don't like telling lies! Always said we paid for everything and santy was pretty much a delivery driver, it always made it easier to explain why some kids got loads and others got less. Re the original post, I'd just tell your kid that the other kid is just jealous because they aren't as good as your kid is.

I always downplayed the santy thing, I just don't like telling lies! Always said we paid for everything and santy was pretty much a delivery driver, it always made it easier to explain why some kids got loads and others got less. Re the original post, I'd just tell your kid that the other kid is just jealous because they aren't as good as your kid is.
I think my parents had to explain a few price tags to us as Santa only makes wooden toys and buys the rest from toy stores. lololol

Santy works for DHL

although I loved Xmas as a kid and it was always happy, the Santa parts
have been really forgotten a long time ago.
I remember all the Santa presents I got from the age of 3 or 4 onward though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back